Colorado Colorado Trip Advice

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by bamaman, Jan 2, 2019.

1. UGASkiDawg

UGASkiDawg AKA David Pugski Ski Tester

CO 145 to 184 east to 160 east

2. Thread Starter
    TS
    bamaman

bamaman Getting on the lift Skier

Thanks. May take you up on the private. ogsmile But not flying out. Driving out. And how far is it? I'm showing 5-8 hours drive (shorter if I'm over at Wolf Creek area). Had some issues come up forcing me to change and go back to original timeline (drive out early next week) and I've got all day on the 27th to leave and get back to pick up my kids at 7:30 pm. at Denver Airport. So if the weather/roads are good, I can leave Sunday around 10/11 and be there in plenty of time. This was meant to be a multiple destination road trip.

Coming out, I'd arrive in Denver area around 3:00 afternoon and can be up near Frisco by evening easily and do Ski Cooper the next day. And then just work my way west, then south.

I know how the crowds are on the I-70 corridor on MLK weekend. What can I expect at Powderhorn, Telluride, and/or Purgatory that weekend?

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    bamaman

Thank you ogsmile

4. martyg

martyg Getting off the lift Industry Insider

MLK weekend can be a shit show - but not by Front Range standards. Your lift line wait at Purg may be a few minutes. Wolf Creek can be a zoo. Last year, on one of he Holiday weekends, lift lines were 45 minutes. However they were the only ones in SW CO that had snow, so it was full of Texans.

Denver to Durango via Wolf Creek is usually the fastest route. Maybe 6 hours from the airport with good roads. You will want to rent chains, and / or have 4DW / AWD in case traction restrictions are up.

Note that I am not teaching at Purg, and just have a weekday pass. Snow is good right now.

5. UGASkiDawg

Crowds at Powderhorn? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Ken_R and bamaman like this.

6. TQA

TQA Putting on skis Skier

That is going to be a lot of driving and I suppose you will be doing it after a days skiing. 4 hrs on the road then looking for that vacancy sign.

Sounds like a fair bit of high anxiety to me.

7. TQA

TQA Putting on skis Skier

That is going to be a lot of driving and I suppose you will be doing it after a days skiing. 4 hrs on the road then looking for that vacancy sign.

Sounds like a fair bit of high anxiety to me.

I did something similar but had stuff booked and my creaky old knees only allow 3 to 4 hours skiing so I would catch the first lift get my skiing in then be on the road by 2 pm.

8. Thread Starter
    TS
    bamaman

That's the beauty of this trip. I'm finally retired and don't have a time schedule or anyone (5 kids) with me to have to coordinate with. I LOVE to drive. It's my time alone and away where I can clear my mind and think or just listen to tunes and relax. I even like the 18 hour drive from N. Alabama to Denver. I've done it 3-4 times in one trip. But this time, I'll stop halfway and spend the night. The last 10 or so trips out I've been staying in the same spot (Summit Co) skiing the same mountains and frankly, I'm a little bored with it. Ready to be like a teenager again and just do a road trip. I will probably only ski 4-5 hours like you starting early and then hit the road if I'm moving on. But others are chiming in about the drive also. What am I missing? Here's the estimated times I'm getting:

Ski Cooper to Glenwood Springs - 1 1/2 hours
    Down to Aspen (optional) - < 1 hour
    Glenwood Springs to Powderhorn - 1 1/2 hours
    Powderhorn to Telluride - 2 3/4 hours
    Telluride to Purgatory - 2 hours
    Purgatory to Wolf Creek - < 3 hours
    Purgatory or Wolf Creek back to Denver < 5 - 8 hours

I know those are fair weather times, but honestly, that's nothing to me. I used to drive that long to work and back when I lived in D.C. And if it is bothering me, I'll just stay longer in one place and ski that mountain. FLEXIBILITY is the key for me on this trip. I can hit em all or hit what I want.

SBrown, skix, New2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. UGASkiDawg

Don't let naysayers drag you down man. I wouldn't say I love to drive but it doesn't bother me at all except for sitting in traffic. You aren't going to hit traffic unless you drive Glenwood to Aspen on a powder day. I don't care about whether it's snowing or not I'm still driving my plan. I've skied a bell to bell day at Copper then jumped in my car and driven to SLC and gotten up to ski the next morning. Go for it!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    skix and bamaman like this.
  10. Thread Starter
    TS
    bamaman

I don't think they are naysayers. Just don't know me personally and trying to give some advice based on their experiences ogsmile

coskigirl and dbostedo like this.
  11. Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney Travel Correspondent Industry Insider Team Gathermeister

[​IMG]
    Go @bamaman Sounds like a fun trip. Post up some pictures when you're done. I'll be out there in CO and UT a few weeks after you. Let me know if you ever come to Utah.

bamaman likes this.
  12. SBrown

SBrown Steve Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I love to drive, too ... for a lot of the same reasons. You won't have much traffic out in the Western Slope, and the scenery is phenomenal. Weather can be tricky but usually isn't. Have fun!

Ken_R, bamaman and coskigirl like this.
  13. Thread Starter
    TS
    bamaman

Wow. That's from a few years ago. Long time, no talk Jim. I'll PM you and chat.

14. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Dunno why but while the driving times are long out to SW Colorado I have found the drives enjoyable and easy going. Well, going over Monarch Pass has been spicy a few times but with winter tires on my Subbie it has not been that big of a deal.

UGASkiDawg, bamaman and SBrown like this.
  15. Thread Starter
    TS
    bamaman

Shawn C. likes this.