• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have a route number(s) for the "head over Lizard head pass to Durango and bang a left to Purgatory"?

I was thinking of doing the Ski, Swim, Stay package at Glenwood Springs/Sunlight. Looks very appealing :thumb:
CO 145 to 184 east to 160 east

TS
B

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bamaman - SW CO is a long, long way from the I70 corridor.

Honestly.... You may get the most bang for your buck in SW CO if you fly into Durango. Mid-week at Purg is sublime. No crowds - just ski up to your chair. If traveling with groms anyone under 10 gets a free season's pass. They had a deal going on lodging: purchase a full priced lift ticket (maybe $100?) and get a free night's lodging in town.

Wold Creek and Telluride are also a day trip.

Hit me up if you come this way. I'd be happy to give you an AM private.

Thanks. May take you up on the private. ogsmile But not flying out. Driving out. And how far is it? I'm showing 5-8 hours drive (shorter if I'm over at Wolf Creek area). Had some issues come up forcing me to change and go back to original timeline (drive out early next week) and I've got all day on the 27th to leave and get back to pick up my kids at 7:30 pm. at Denver Airport. So if the weather/roads are good, I can leave Sunday around 10/11 and be there in plenty of time. This was meant to be a multiple destination road trip.

Coming out, I'd arrive in Denver area around 3:00 afternoon and can be up near Frisco by evening easily and do Ski Cooper the next day. And then just work my way west, then south.

I know how the crowds are on the I-70 corridor on MLK weekend. What can I expect at Powderhorn, Telluride, and/or Purgatory that weekend?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks. May take you up on the private. ogsmile But not flying out. Driving out. And how far is it? I'm showing 5-8 hours drive (shorter if I'm over at Wolf Creek area). Had some issues come up forcing me to change and go back to original timeline (drive out early next week) and I've got all day on the 27th to leave and get back to pick up my kids at 7:30 pm. at Denver Airport. So if the weather/roads are good, I can leave Sunday around 10/11 and be there in plenty of time. This was meant to be a multiple destination road trip.

Coming out, I'd arrive in Denver area around 3:00 afternoon and can be up near Frisco by evening easily and do Ski Cooper the next day. And then just work my way west, then south.

I know how the crowds are on the I-70 corridor on MLK weekend. What can I expect at Powderhorn, Telluride, and/or Purgatory that weekend?

MLK weekend can be a shit show - but not by Front Range standards. Your lift line wait at Purg may be a few minutes. Wolf Creek can be a zoo. Last year, on one of he Holiday weekends, lift lines were 45 minutes. However they were the only ones in SW CO that had snow, so it was full of Texans.

Denver to Durango via Wolf Creek is usually the fastest route. Maybe 6 hours from the airport with good roads. You will want to rent chains, and / or have 4DW / AWD in case traction restrictions are up.

Note that I am not teaching at Purg, and just have a weekday pass. Snow is good right now.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester

Crowds at Powderhorn? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
That is going to be a lot of driving and I suppose you will be doing it after a days skiing. 4 hrs on the road then looking for that vacancy sign.

Sounds like a fair bit of high anxiety to me.

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
That is going to be a lot of driving and I suppose you will be doing it after a days skiing. 4 hrs on the road then looking for that vacancy sign.

I did something similar but had stuff booked and my creaky old knees only allow 3 to 4 hours skiing so I would catch the first lift get my skiing in then be on the road by 2 pm.

TS
B

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier

I did something similar but had stuff booked and my creaky old knees only allow 3 to 4 hours skiing so I would catch the first lift get my skiing in then be on the road by 2 pm.
That's the beauty of this trip. I'm finally retired and don't have a time schedule or anyone (5 kids) with me to have to coordinate with. I LOVE to drive. It's my time alone and away where I can clear my mind and think or just listen to tunes and relax. I even like the 18 hour drive from N. Alabama to Denver. I've done it 3-4 times in one trip. But this time, I'll stop halfway and spend the night. The last 10 or so trips out I've been staying in the same spot (Summit Co) skiing the same mountains and frankly, I'm a little bored with it. Ready to be like a teenager again and just do a road trip. I will probably only ski 4-5 hours like you starting early and then hit the road if I'm moving on. But others are chiming in about the drive also. What am I missing? Here's the estimated times I'm getting:

Ski Cooper to Glenwood Springs - 1 1/2 hours
Down to Aspen (optional) - < 1 hour
Glenwood Springs to Powderhorn - 1 1/2 hours
Powderhorn to Telluride - 2 3/4 hours
Telluride to Purgatory - 2 hours
Purgatory to Wolf Creek - < 3 hours
Purgatory or Wolf Creek back to Denver < 5 - 8 hours

I know those are fair weather times, but honestly, that's nothing to me. I used to drive that long to work and back when I lived in D.C. And if it is bothering me, I'll just stay longer in one place and ski that mountain. FLEXIBILITY is the key for me on this trip. I can hit em all or hit what I want.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
That's the beauty of this trip. I'm finally retired and don't have a time schedule or anyone (5 kids) with me to have to coordinate with. I LOVE to drive. It's my time alone and away where I can clear my mind and think or just listen to tunes and relax. I even like the 18 hour drive from N. Alabama to Denver. I've done it 3-4 times in one trip. But this time, I'll stop halfway and spend the night. The last 10 or so trips out I've been staying in the same spot (Summit Co) skiing the same mountains and frankly, I'm a little bored with it. Ready to be like a teenager again and just do a road trip. I will probably only ski 4-5 hours like you starting early and then hit the road if I'm moving on. But others are chiming in about the drive also. What am I missing? Here's the estimated times I'm getting:

Ski Cooper to Glenwood Springs - 1 1/2 hours
Down to Aspen (optional) - < 1 hour
Glenwood Springs to Powderhorn - 1 1/2 hours
Powderhorn to Telluride - 2 3/4 hours
Telluride to Purgatory - 2 hours
Purgatory to Wolf Creek - < 3 hours
Purgatory or Wolf Creek back to Denver < 5 - 8 hours

I know those are fair weather times, but honestly, that's nothing to me. I used to drive that long to work and back when I lived in D.C. And if it is bothering me, I'll just stay longer in one place and ski that mountain. FLEXIBILITY is the key for me on this trip. I can hit em all or hit what I want.
Don't let naysayers drag you down man. I wouldn't say I love to drive but it doesn't bother me at all except for sitting in traffic. You aren't going to hit traffic unless you drive Glenwood to Aspen on a powder day. I don't care about whether it's snowing or not I'm still driving my plan. I've skied a bell to bell day at Copper then jumped in my car and driven to SLC and gotten up to ski the next morning. Go for it!

Last edited:
TS
B

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't let naysayers drag you down man. I wouldn't say I love to drive but it doesn't bother me at all except for sitting in traffic. You aren't going to hit traffic unless you drive Glenwood to Aspen on a powder day. I don't care about whether it's snowing or not I'm still driving my plan. I've skied a bell to bell day at Copper then jumped in my car and driven to SLC and gotten up to ski the next morning. Go for it!
I don't think they are naysayers. Just don't know me personally and trying to give some advice based on their experiences ogsmile

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
LL

Go @bamaman Sounds like a fun trip. Post up some pictures when you're done. I'll be out there in CO and UT a few weeks after you. Let me know if you ever come to Utah.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love to drive, too ... for a lot of the same reasons. You won't have much traffic out in the Western Slope, and the scenery is phenomenal. Weather can be tricky but usually isn't. Have fun!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I love to drive, too ... for a lot of the same reasons. You won't have much traffic out in the Western Slope, and the scenery is phenomenal. Weather can be tricky but usually isn't. Have fun!

Dunno why but while the driving times are long out to SW Colorado I have found the drives enjoyable and easy going. Well, going over Monarch Pass has been spicy a few times but with winter tires on my Subbie it has not been that big of a deal.