• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Colorado This Weekend

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi Guys,

I just had a roommate who moved out to Denver from WI this summer and I am planning on visiting him this weekend (no I cant delay the trip, only time it works for both of us). He wants to go skiing for the first time in a long time, so I would like to take him somewhere that has a usable amount of green runs open within a Front Range day trip. I have a RMSP so Copper and WP are ideal for me but I know that Loveland will have better coverage and his car will more easily get to Copper than WP. Based on beginner terrain, where should we go this weekend?

Thanks!

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
I think Copper is your best bet. Especially with the new snow we are supposed to get this week. I would anticipate more terrain opening very soon. Also, Copper is currently running a chair in their beginner area in West Village. As of right now, there is no way to ski from the more intermediate runs to West Village. You have to take a bus. While this may seem like a pain, it actually helps to keep more advanced skiers separate from beginners. The terrain in West Village is great and the crowds should hopefully be minimal, even on a weekend.

TS
Jtlange

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's great news! I appreciate the knowledge. You can only learn so much from the webcams! Hopefully it wont be too crowded this weekend.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
If he can ski more challenging green terrain, then I think you will have more fun at Loveland (assuming no good terrain additions this week).

If not, I'd second Copper because WP only has their true beginner terrain open and that would be a snooze fest for you.

For perspective, this was Loveland yesterday looking from where you can split left to Mambo (green) or right to Lower Richards (blue) coming off the cat track.

IMG_2855.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If he can ski more challenging green terrain, then I think you will have more fun at Loveland (assuming no good terrain additions this week).

If not, I'd second Copper because WP only has their true beginner terrain open and that would be a snooze fest for you.

For perspective, this was Loveland yesterday looking from where you can split left to Mambo (green) or right to Lower Richards (blue) coming off the cat track.

View attachment 16635

Loveland is super easy and mellow.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Loveland is super easy and mellow.

Agreed. I was only commenting in regards to "beginner" terrain vs. skiing longer runs with mixed ability skiers and boarders. Copper's terrain segregation is good there, but I think would be less interesting to the advanced skier than lapping Chair 1 at Loveland.

If it were me, I would vastly prefer that over Union Creek @ Copper at this point as Loveland will have the rustic big mountain feel while Copper West Village will feel like base level green terrain at a resort. I would also personally pay Loveland's ticket price for that difference, especially coming from out of state. I'm not bagging on Copper - I really like their green terrain on the west side - but it's a lot more than a green/blue difference depending on what @Jtlange and his friend are looking for.

As a side note, WP opened Larry Sale, but that's not suitable based on the OP description.

Last edited:
TS
Jtlange

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
@nay , and @Ken_R thank you for the responses to this. It was exactly what I was looking for (I have been enjoying your Loveland updates @nay btw). I know Copper is trying to open the American Flyer lift for this weekend (person over at Epic replied to another post I had there). I expect my friend to be able to get back on the horse quickly and be able to do whatever greens are available because he is a very athletic guy that does a ton of yoga. I will break off and do a few blue runs no matter where I go however :ogcool:. Super excited to get to some mountains this weekend.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Copper would offer more overall diversity if they can open Flyer. Hard to go too wrong there for sure. Loveland is working on Chair 6, and while that's nothing remarkable, it would add more to a full day.

I'd still ski Loveland, but it's pretty unique for what it opens - mellow terrain off an expert terrain chair with a good length run for the vert and some roll to the terrain.

I wouldn't be super stoked that Home Run is holding good snow come mid-Dec with squat open statewide, but sure is nice right now carrying good speed into it for GS turns (on soft snow skis :) ) and then riding back up a "real" chair again and again with big mountain views.

Have fun either way :bestday: