• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Colorado Road Trip

TS
puptwin

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would you mind describing the terrain you like at Mt. Bachelor? I think a lot of us CO skiers have never been there and it would help to better understand your terrain preferences.
@tball, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I enjoy the terrain served by the Northwest chair at Bachelor because I find the upper sections to be steep and challenging. I don’t know how to categorize the steepness but for me it is a little intimidating so there’s a bit of a thrill committing at the top. Picking up the lift line and skiing beneath the chair further down offers a variety of short drops and transitions that are really fun. The terrain is generally un-groomed and I’m a half-ass bump skier but somehow it all seems to work. So, single-black terrain that isn't just a steep groomer is approaching the upper limit of our skills when the snow cover is good.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
@tball, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I enjoy the terrain served by the Northwest chair at Bachelor because I find the upper sections to be steep and challenging. I don’t know how to categorize the steepness but for me it is a little intimidating so there’s a bit of a thrill committing at the top. Picking up the lift line and skiing beneath the chair further down offers a variety of short drops and transitions that are really fun. The terrain is generally un-groomed and I’m a half-ass bump skier but somehow it all seems to work. So, single-black terrain that isn't just a steep groomer is approaching the upper limit of our skills when the snow cover is good.

It sounds like Steamboat would be right up your alley.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That helps, especially looking at the Bachelor map and the terrain off the Northwest chair your enjoy:

19-20_wintertrailmap_final.pdf 2020-07-15 22-47-30.png

I'm guessing the steepness is similar to the single black runs that are prevalent at all the areas in CO you are considering. One difference may be Colorado black runs tend to be more bumped out because of our snowpack. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong on those assumptions.

All the areas you are considering have lots of terrain like that, except A-basin. It's a bit limited unless you venture into the steeper terrain that covers much of the area.

Given COVID I'd consider avoiding Steamboat despite it having lots of terrain you'd enjoy. The area is highly dependant on a gondola out of the base that could create a cluster next season during busy times like March. The same goes for Winter Park, but it's a bit easier to work around the gondola there. Aspen Mountain (Ajax) also has a gondola problem, but I'm assuming you'd spend your time at Snowmass which would be ideal for you.

Copper is my home mountain and would work great. Even on the weekends in busy March you can avoid crowds if you stick to the advanced side of the mountain. It works nicely for a long stay in Summit County in combo with A-basin. They are better choices for weekdays because of the proximity to Denver as others have said. Also, if you are in Summit County during a stormy day you'll want to ski Copper instead of A-basin for the visibility afforded by the below tree-line terrain that's limited at A-basin.

So, I'd suggest a trip with Copper, A-basin, and Snowmass as the core. That would give you plenty of skiing for nine days unless you enjoy exploring as many areas as possible, then work in Steamboat and Winter Park. Adding those would be more driving and moving than I'd prefer, but folks do it all the time.

Last edited:

Sponsor