• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado has the Highest Avalanche Danger Rating

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not surprising. Between a continental climate just about perfect for creating and keeping persistent weak layers in the snow, it has a lot of backcountry users, both from a fairly large local population, and from high visitor numbers.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Lots of GAPERs out there. And as @Slim said, the persistent weak layers that set up in November can go in March.

My last ski area provided ample any training, and I am AIARE II. That being said, the snowpack in SW CO scares the shit out of me.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Lots of GAPERs out there. And as @Slim said, the persistent weak layers that set up in November can go in March.

My last ski area provided ample any training, and I am AIARE II. That being said, the snowpack in SW CO scares the shit out of me.
As it should. Large portions of Peak 8, 7 and 6 succumbed to bombing over the last week or so. Our 40+ inches of snow in October was exciting but with subsequent weather, we have the perfect storm for creating weak layers. Breck patrol says the warm spell we just experienced helped settle things a bit. Phew.

Just a couple of examples of the (closed at the time) inbounds slides:

IMG_20191225_102112112.jpg
About half of this view has some avalanche activity present. The photo doesn't show it very well.

IMG_20191225_103151535_rot.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some of the most experienced people in the backcountry world are concerned about BC conditions.
That says a lot.

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
And the cliff notes version of the Diamond Peak report from the Colorado Sun.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And the cliff notes version of the Diamond Peak report from the Colorado Sun.

Sad, but a very good article. They did everything right except...

James

Out There
Instructor
The accident report on the Diamond Peak burial and death is now out. Compelling reading. Even small amounts of apparent snow can not only be dangerous, they can fully bury you with death an outcome.

They had to dig six feet down to extricate her from the standing position.

Wildbear

Booting up
Skier
A trip to Stony Pass near Silverton this last summer was all I needed to see.
Multiple chutes had huge trees snapped like toothpicks.