• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Freeride Systems Jackets

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, I am one of those "vent on the lift or while walking" skiers. Another good point is how they stay where you leave them.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The design we use for the pockets on the Antero 2 (softshell) and Antero 2 Plus (hardshell) help to keep the standard allowed minutes down while sewing a jacket. Since we are paying more than $0.40/hr to sew we have to keep our time down. It's all about the design to keep the time down. The stacked pockets help with that. The Antero 3 has an inner right chest pocket and an outer left chest pocket but then different features that save on time. Additional pockets real quickly will add on to the cost of one of our products.

It also has to do with the clean look Mike, the designers and engineers worked towards for function, style and personal preference. We do want to give the people what they want! We are talking about more pockets. A local guide service, Rocky Mountain Guides, has asked that when we make their jacket they receive more pockets, interior chest away from the heart and reflective tape. Every suggestion is being absorbed here and I appreciate the feedback.

I use our skin pouch when I need more pockets. I can fit 4 24oz sodas in it.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Great feedback! Thanks. You know your products best but I am guessing your customer isn't the average buyer of gear. It seems that CFS has a lot of pro users who need a jacket to meet many needs. I find this latest discussion to be truly educational and right up my ally

the pocket stacking discussion is interesting and just wondering, are we talking about another $10 per jacket or $40-50?

Last edited:

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Great feedback! Thanks. You know your products best but I am guessing your customer isn't the average buyer of gear. It seems that CFS has a lot of pro users who need a jacket to meet many needs. I find this latest discussion to be truly educational and right up my ally

the pocket stacking discussion is interesting and just wondering, are we talking about another $10 per jacket or $40-50?
Just the zipper will be about $8 to $12.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Oh, and while we're at it, When are you making pants :)

Pants! The best answer I can give is one day. I want that day to come sooner. I think once we can invest more into ski pants we will have them for sale. Everyone's various below the belt shapes makes the fit difficult and since we do not participate in the loaning stuff to retailers so they'll maybe pay us game it is extra difficult to get the customer the right size. So there would be a lot of back and forth postage. We are looking into a factory direct retail location to help with this. The larger investment into ski pants would allow us to have men and women's cut and the short, regular and tall sizes. Right there that would be 16 sizes and then hardshell and softshell and bibs verse pants. One day!

I got a pair 2 days ago and they cost about $8k.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The $8k pants comes from total investment into pants vs how many have been made. I will mostly be skiing in Summit County, CO this winter and could loan the pants to any non - commando skier. I'll also loan jackets too if anyone wants to play dress up and make ski one day.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Sorry Ron. I was thinking about adding not moving. I don't want to guess so let me get back to you with a real number.

no worries, it was more of a ballpark. Just curious. I personally would pay another $25 to have the pockets split. I would actually be able to use both as opposed to just using one or the other as is now.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
no worries, it was more of a ballpark. Just curious. I personally would pay another $25 to have the pockets split. I would actually be able to use both as opposed to just using one or the other as is now.
I'm curious too and I know a guy to ask.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
More on zippers. Mike studied vintage American made ski coats from the 70s and learned that the YKK Vislon molded tooth zipper would be in perfect working order even when the jacket was destroyed. If you have to remove a glove to operate a zipper you may never get your fingers warmed back up and then you're stuck opening beer with your teeth. Speaking of teeth, does anyone use their teeth to bite a jacket to move a zipper? I know I use too, but I'm from the South.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
That must be a miscommunication. That link points to a site with a man (beard and all) prominently displayed. They have men's and women's gear. And there are two women's jackets to roughly one million men's. *sigh*

Coalition Skis is a nice idea for specializing in women's skis, but what I think we might really need are women's-only technical ski wear companies.
We made you some women's jackets!!!! http://www.freeridesystems.com/product/women-s and they aren't all pink. These shells have a fleece jacket and vest that can be zipped into them. Just one at a time. We also made some Antero2+ jackets in the new small tall size. The Anteros run big so small = medium. Check it out

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Monique I've been talking to Freeride Systems and their website is a work in progress. They do have some women's jackets that aren't easy to find on the site. Stay tuned for some input from the likes of ME !:D

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I will be at the Dillon farmer's market Friday from 9 to 2 slinging jackets if anyone wants to check them out. I'll give Pugski members extra savings if they show up. The secret code will be "I'm a Pugski member" to receive extra discounts. I'll have a little bit of everything.

I'll be slinging sausages and other German food at Breck Oktoberfest. The same secret code will get you free food or you can say here is some beer and that'll get you fed too. I'll be in the 10x50 tent with the longest lines by the stage. Just walk around back and say hey.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We made you some women's jackets!!!! http://www.freeridesystems.com/product/women-s and they aren't all pink. These shells have a fleece jacket and vest that can be zipped into them. Just one at a time. We also made some Antero2+ jackets in the new small tall size. The Anteros run big so small = medium. Check it out

Thank you, thank you! I am ... not so small. Will the women's JCS be available in XL?

Curious: Is "no pit zips" a feature for some uses? Is that because of the component system?

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes, we have it in XL in black, blue, bright red, crimson, charcoal, grape, lime and olive.

There are no pit zips because we were trying to cut down on the weight and price. The lightweight Polartec Neoshell used does breathe very well so you aren't likely to overheat.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
IMAG0820.jpg

Olive, charcoal, blue, crimson, grape, black, red and lime. The olive color varies a lot depending on the lighting.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Argh! Gotta work this weekend. I love the colors.

Sponsor

Staff online