• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Freeride Systems Jackets

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The medium tall size of the Antero 2 and 2 Plus pocket bags are not attached at the bottom. All the other sizes of the Antero 2 and 2 plus have attached pocket bags that can be used as storage pouches. The design of the medium tall size doesn't give you anywhere to attach these pocket bags back to the jacket. This is something that is being addressed.

The interior of Antero 2 Plus and 3 is tricot. It helps protect the membrane. It's not a bad idea to shake out the jacket everyone now and then. This will get dead skin and other contaminants out and will allow your jacket to continue to breathe.

The yellow fabric is a thinner and lighter version of Polartec Neoshell. It will pack a little smaller than the rest.

We've made some shorts in the past and we will make some more again. They are tough and breathable. People use them for climbing, biking, skating etc.. Our main focus will be jackets but in the future we will be adding more products.

I was slightly run over with a snowmobile last week while wearing my Antero 2 (softshell) and not a scratch on the jacket! I occasionally catch branches with my shoulders while tree skiing and I haven't damaged my jacket that way either. Yesterday I did a little tour with some friends and the temperature in the sun was close to zero. I wore my Antero 2 and Bross hoodie on the way up and down. One of the guys in my group was drenched in sweat. After the trip he ordered a jacket for him self and his brother.

I will be more active in this forum. Let me know if y'all have any questions for me. I live in Frisco, CO and wear a large in most of our products. I wouldn't be opposed to letting someone borrow a jacket for a couple runs. I'll be skiing with my Mom all week. I'll be ready to rip next week.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@TheBestSkier, thanks for chiming in. I hope you do become more active here. Your insights are valuable.

So far my Antero 2 has been bulletproof. I've had it out in warm, cold, snow and wind. It's been through tight trees with lots of branch contact and over rocks. Not a scratch on it. I don't get hot or cold in this jacket. The venting and breathability are incredible. Full review to come soon.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
One improvement could be to provide a softer material around the mouth and neck area of the Antero II Plus collar. With the recent nuking of snow and cold, the outer layer material got stiff and abrasive and iced up. Otherwise, it's been working great in a variety of temps, precipitation, on the lift and on tour...and having to skate ski from a down lift to another for 1/2 mile. I would not characterize it as absolutely wind proof, but once you dial in your layering relative to temps and wind, it's definitely a go to jacket.

Reactions: Ron

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
One improvement could be to provide a softer material around the mouth and neck area of the Antero II Plus collar. With the recent nuking of snow and cold, the outer layer material got stiff and abrasive and iced up. Otherwise, it's been working great in a variety of temps, precipitation, on the lift and on tour...and having to skate ski from a down lift to another for 1/2 mile. I would not characterize it as absolutely wind proof, but once you dial in your layering relative to temps and wind, it's definitely a go to jacket.
Hey! I don't know how I lost this thread. Once the snow started coming in I kinda flaked. We do have a little more fleece attached around the mouth and chin now. Hopefully this will help. If you would like to PM me we can discuss sending your jacket in and I'll get more attached to yours no charge. What are your thoughts after a whole season? Have you worn it into the summer as well? Thanks for your feedback!

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The medium tall size of the Antero 2 (insulated softshell) and Antero 2 Plus (non-insulated hardshell) now have the interior pocket bags attached creating pouches. I can retro fit any non-attached medium talls. Please PM me and we'll make that happen. We now have a small tall size as well and the interior pouches are there. Thanks

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hey! I don't know how I lost this thread. Once the snow started coming in I kinda flaked. We do have a little more fleece attached around the mouth and chin now. Hopefully this will help. If you would like to PM me we can discuss sending your jacket in and I'll get more attached to yours no charge. What are your thoughts after a whole season? Have you worn it into the summer as well? Thanks for your feedback!
@SlideWright may be off the Pug grid for the summer. I've rung his bell here to see if he gets the message. You might want to reach out to him via his business contact. You might be able to help each other out both being vendors and all. Try him here.. SlideWright Ski & Snowboard Tuning Tips & More.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The medium tall size of the Antero 2 (insulated softshell) and Antero 2 Plus (non-insulated hardshell) now have the interior pocket bags attached creating pouches. I can retro fit any non-attached medium talls. Please PM me and we'll make that happen. We now have a small tall size as well and the interior pouches are there. Thanks

Hey, @Ron, check this out.

The Antero 2 is my go-to jacket. Comfortable all over the mountain and in any weather. Awesome venting for hiking, blocks wind, takes a beating in the trees and sheds snow like a champ when it's balls-deep pow time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

My long-term report is this: your jackets are for real. I ended up using the Antero II for any day that was about 15* and above with a Pati nano-air and a thin base layer and I was just fine. Super comfortable and dont change the sizing please. The Medium long is dialed for me.

I need to get on the list for a Antero Softie in the Belgium blue http://www.freeridesystems.com/product/belgian-blue-antero-ii-polartec Interestingly, Phil and I were just talking about best value clothing for 2016 and I had your jackets on my list. They aren't cheap, but they are true values. Frankly (pun intended) I dont want cheap; I want stuff that performs well for a reasonable price.

BTW- I will PM about getting the pockets added in. THAT"S GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! :beercheer:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My long-term report is this: your jackets are for real. I ended up using the Antero II for any day that was about 15* and above with a Pati nano-air and a thin base layer and I was just fine. Super comfortable and dont change the sizing please. The Medium long is dialed for me.

I need to get on the list for a Antero Softie in the Belgium blue http://www.freeridesystems.com/product/belgian-blue-antero-ii-polartec Interestingly, Phil and I were just talking about best value clothing for 2016 and I had your jackets on my list. They aren't cheap, but they are true values. Frankly (pun intended) I dont want cheap; I want stuff that performs well for a reasonable price.

BTW- I will PM about getting the pockets added in. THAT"S GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! :beercheer:

I like the way you look at things. I recall doing a review on another brand that was nearly $1300.00 for the kit (shell top and bottom as well as mid layer). Someone who read the review said that she didn't think it was a good value. I, however, felt that it was a great value because of the technical features and durability. I'd rather pay 1,000.00 for something that does what it says and last a long time, than 300.00 for something that doesn't hold up to the elements.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
along those lines, it comes down to return on investment (ROI); so in addition to holding up, I look at overall performance; does it meet our climate needs, does it holdup to the terrain, does it fit well, does it have the right mix of pockets, vents, soft chin material (this is a great example BTW of small features and construction that make a product a better than others in terms of everyday comfort) and so forth. With todays materials (neoshell, gore-active, Event, etc) its coming down to more of these attributes than the actual materials used.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier

My Mom is first on the list for the Belgium blue. You guys will be right behind. Thanks for the praise!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another thing that will encourage me to rank a shell/jacket highly is pocket placement. And likewise, I'm less likely to choose a jacket for the day if the pockets are lacking or inconvenient.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
like the softer chin area, the side vent zippers on the CFS Jackets are revolutionary: you can actually use one hand to open and close. I appears that CFS chose wider zippers that just work better. Other manufacturers seem to use very fine, narrow zippers (which I guess they prefer due to the lower profile) but the larger zippers don't get in the way; you don't notice them while wearing). They just work.

@TheBestSkier can you comment on that?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Another thing that will encourage me to rank a shell/jacket highly is pocket placement. And likewise, I'm less likely to choose a jacket for the day if the pockets are lacking or inconvenient.

This is huge for me. I want a jacket to be able to handle a Plattypuss (not a camelbacker), wallet, phone, and keys all seperately but securely. I also want the ability to put all those things in my pants should I opt to ditch the jacket later in the day. Every outer layer designed for ski days should have at least FOUR decent sized pockets that zip or snap closed securely.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
my one criticism of the Antero is that they put the inside chest pocket on the same side as the exterior chest pocket making using both simultaneously almost impossible. They should never be on the same side unless you use two exterior or two interior pockets.

@TheBestSkier ????

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
my one criticism of the Antero is that they put the inside chest pocket on the same side as the exterior chest pocket making using both simultaneously almost impossible. They should never be on the same side unless you use two exterior or two interior pockets.

@TheBestSkier ????

Adding gussets to the outside pockets would resolve space/volume problems when using both inside and outside. Also adds a LOT to the cost of a garment to add gussets to the pockets.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
personally, I dont want the gussets, they go against the clean lines of the jacket and having a ton of stuff on one side is another OCD issue for me. I like to keep the jacket balanced. I understand what you are saying though

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
like the softer chin area, the side vent zippers on the CFS Jackets are revolutionary: you can actually use one hand to open and close. I appears that CFS chose wider zippers that just work better. Other manufacturers seem to use very fine, narrow zippers (which I guess they prefer due to the lower profile) but the larger zippers don't get in the way; you don't notice them while wearing). They just work.

@TheBestSkier can you comment on that?

Yes. There is a lot going on with the pit zips. The initial demand for such a functioning piece came from Lake County SAR in Colorado. They needed it to work with a gloved hand with their other hand on a radio all while wearing a pack. Through trial and error we know "waterproof" zippers are garbage. They are a pain to use and always break. We never errored as bad as to use brass zippers. There are things called zipper catalogs available from YKK. You can play with all their zippers they make in different plants all over the world. The ones we are discussing here come from Japan. We chose bigger ones that gloved hands can grip. The placement of the pit zip in crucial too for using with a pack. They also work better because you zip from your rips up to open and then arm to ribs to close. The opposite direction is more difficult. You really notice how well they work when you are constantly adjusting them while on the fly without thinking about making an adjustment. At first you might struggle to find the zipper but once you can remember where it is you'll be set.