• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colnago

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Had a visceral reaction to this at first: No! (I'm Italian, and definitely not gaudy.) Then I started thinking about it and decided you were right. :eek:

My reference classic lugged frame is a demure Raleigh. So ... I guess I'm not that Italian after all.
spz10.timetrial.tdw42639_600.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Technical foul! ^bike is a Specialized!

Vitus were a nightmare..I had a 979..used to creak and groan and wobbled at high speed like a drunken sailor on leave.. However..super light! :D

IME: change the fork to something with more trail, put in a top headset and you can make all those bikes feel really, really nice...

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I really loved Frenchs bike and components too, but unfortunately, they have all gone by the wayside.

Not sure about French components - there's a reason all those Huret derailleurs were replaced with Japanese ones that actually worked - but I always had a soft spot for Motobecane.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Not sure about French components - there's a reason all those Huret derailleurs were replaced with Japanese ones that actually worked - but I always had a soft spot for Motobecane.

Greg LeMond did win the Tour de France on a bike equipped with a Magic group set.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

Well the Simplex Super LJ was one of the finest derailers in the mid to late 70's. These beauties shift very well indeed! And the Retrofriction levers are in a league all their own!

The boxed set
Simplex Super LJ.jpg

In the wild
Super LJ in the wild.jpg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the early 70's , in my neighbourhood anyway, there was suddenly a big popularity in bikes, and French bikes were a big part of it. Peugeot, Motobecane, LeJeune, Gitane among others were very popular. All were equipped with Simplex derailleurs , and Mafac centre-pull brakes.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
In the early 70's , in my neighbourhood anyway, there was suddenly a big popularity in bikes, and French bikes were a big part of it. Peugeot, Motobecane, LeJeune, Gitane among others were very popular. All were equipped with Simplex derailleurs , and Mafac centre-pull brakes.

Lets not talk about the 'plastic' Simplex derailers on the low end French bike boom bikes :eek: :nono:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lets not talk about the 'plastic' Simplex derailers on the low end French bike boom bikes :eek: :nono:

For many of us, that was our first 'real' bike, after a stingray bike. I remember the plastic Simplex, but also some stamped metal ones.

I also remember going into going into one of Toronto's first proper bike shops when I was 16 or 17 and seeing my first Colnago. It was an elevating experience, they were things of beauty. Cinelli, Ciocc, DeRosa, Guerciotti, Masi, Rossin were other brands they carried. They also carried cycling shoes and black wool shorts. That was something completely new in our city. To an impressionable young man, it made an impact. I saved my money for what seemed like ages , an finally got my first Italian bike , an Olmo. It had Campi Gran Sport derailllers , and Ofmega crank, and Modolo brakes. It wasn't the best set-up, but it was all I could afford. I have had strong bias to Italian bikes ever since

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
For many of us, that was our first 'real' bike, after a stingray bike. I remember the plastic Simplex, but also some stamped metal ones.

I also remember going into going into one of Toronto's first proper bike shops when I was 16 or 17 and seeing my first Colnago. It was an elevating experience, they were things of beauty. Cinelli, Ciocc, DeRosa, Guerciotti, Masi, Rossin were other brands they carried. They also carried cycling shoes and black wool shorts. That was something completely new in our city. To an impressionable young man, it made an impact. I saved my money for what seemed like ages , an finally got my first Italian bike , an Olmo. It had Campi Gran Sport derailllers , and Ofmega crank, and Modolo brakes. It wasn't the best set-up, but it was all I could afford. I have had strong bias to Italian bikes ever since
Olmo's were nice. Built a few of those.
Bloor Cycle..RIP..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bloor Cycle..RIP..
Bloor Cycle was a great store, ( I'm gathering you worked there) but for the truly esoteric selection of old Italian parts, and frames, and a good dose of eastern bloc abuse, High Park Cycle was the place. Old Jan (Ivan the terrible) was the tersest, rudest, most thieviest, (is that a word?), but had the biggest selection of vintage italian components and small parts.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Got inspired by reading through this thread. Here is my 1999 vintage De Rosa Neo Primato. Just pulled it out of the basement and cleaned it up. Probably needs new tires as these are most likely dry rotted, but I might just have to take it out for a spin. The motorcycle pic is showing 2 Italian beauties. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2107.JPG
    IMG_2107.JPG