• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Back in the winter, I flown with my backcountry poles in my backpack as carry-on. I got stopped at security.

I was allowed to continue after some “supervisor” gave the ok. But it was a bit unnerving. Backcountry poles are not cheap. Missing the flight would suck too.

I’m traveling again. And I want to take my hiking poles. All my stuff can fit in my carry-on, except I’m worry about my hiking poles at security. I’m not sure what it’s classified under to even check.

Has anyone gone through security with their poles? Did you get hassled?

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I think you know the answer...you should be worried.....is it worth the potential risk? Mine were confiscated at Newark airport and in hindsight, rightfully so. I was 50/50 on TSA taking them. Was silly to believe that poles would not be taken at Newark. Newark TSA does not screw around......

TS
S

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
“rightfully so”?

I’m still trying to figure out what these are classed under... But if there’s explicitly forbidden, I want to know about it.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Er. Even without the specific TSA prohibition, they look like spears and can be used to choke someone. I've had a fork and tweezers confiscated!

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
If I have to take my shoes and belt off to get through 'security' then they damn well better take away a set of javelins from other passengers.
King-Leonidas-300-movie-09.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Stick a rubber ferrule on the ends, affect a limp and get them through as walking canes. No one said security theatre had to make sense - I've had a perry whistle confiscated (the same whistle which is found under every seat on every life jacket) because "you might blow it and cause a panic". And that's befpre the glass spirits bottles available in duty free shops etc (because a glass bottle can't ever be smashed to make a weapon right?).

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The security measures are meant as a placebo to calm passengers down by reducing their fears. The more apparently extreme lengths they go to the more passengers will be willing to fly without worry. That's why they confiscate a 1.5 inch long key chain pen knife or a pair of tweezers from an 80 year old lady.

Hey, if I can kill you with a pair of tweezers, I can kill you without one.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hey, if I can kill you with a pair of tweezers, I can kill you without one.

good sig line!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've had nail clippers and tweezers confiscated from my carry on.
I've also traveled and found that nail clippers were in my vest pocket accidentally with no issues.
It all depends on the airport and how intense the TSA is.
Since you've had issues with poles in the past, I'm not sure why you would want to risk it.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Poles typically have a very hard tip, whether they're ski poles or hiking poles.
As a kid I've broken a car window (tempered glass) accidentally with them. Although airplane glass is lexan and not glass, I would think that the inherent threat would be the poles still could be used as a tool to work on the windows more than at bodily threat.

I'm planning a trip in the next two weeks for some hiking; I've resigned to check a bag so I can take my trekking poles.

Sponsor

Staff online