• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
-30 c is the coldest I've skied (before wind chill), and that is definitely my limit. It's painfully cold, and I hate the wind in my face, and skis don't run so smoothly in the sticky cold snow. I won't go if it's colder, and resorts won't open here if the windchill is -40 or below. Having said that that is my coldest though, I should mention that skiing between -18c and -25c here is a pretty regular occurence...

squill

Getting on the lift
Skier
-35°F w/30" of "cold smoke" at Bridger Bowl MT.

Even with seven layers on, I could only make one run. My race fit Tecnica Explosion 10's took 20 minutes of lodge time before I could crowbar them off my feet, then heel/toe around the lodge making pain faces as the blood began to work its way back into my feet, which wasn't embarrassing because there were 10 other people doing the same thing... Ate a banana, had some coffee, put boots back on: repeat one run. Started looking at property in Utah that evening.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
-35 at Mt Orford & also Smugglers Notch. F or C.
Scales cross about here. At Smugs the high was -25F. I’d do 1 run then warm up for 1/2 hr, repeat.
Only about 10 people were skiing at the entire area.
Mt Orford was a ski club bus trip. The large garbage can of beer came off the bus first. After every one got off the bus we looked at the garbage can in amazement- a sheet of ice had formed on the surface. Got on a lift & frostbite was starting on my face before even getting to the midstation! Short day.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Only day I did not ski due to cold was 25 years ago at Wildcat NH. Most cars would not start in the motel parking lot. Owner was able to jump start mine at noon as it warmed to -25F. Got to the ski area and found the wind was so extreme dust devils of snow were spinning out of the woods. only time I’ve seen that. Won’t dare try to calculate wind chill. Bagged it on finding one beginner lift was open to mid-station only. They said you’d die on any lifts higher up !!

Boss skied that day at Stowe( they handed you blankets back then on the lifts) He showed up at work in MD several days later with frostbite on chin and tip of nose.

jray

Booting up
Skier
Winter Park, Colorado 1975, I was 11. They closed the mountain down when the wind chill was around -50 below. Nowadays, I don't even get out of the car if its below zero. One of the perks of having a season pass, you don't HAVE to ski.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Coldest I have skied is around -25c . But we have ridden our sleds at -35C because we got tired of hiding in the cabin at -40. It really is kinda to cold. Got frost bite, where there were gaps between the helmet and goggles. We had a day two years ago -24c at the bottom of the hill and -4 at the top.

Roger

Booting up
Skier
Mine was in Whistler BC, I still had to take off my jacket for the picture at the top but it was bloody freezing.

a>
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG

richddt

Booting up
Skier
Valentine day 2016 -31c at base of Jay peak, with the wind child it was lower than -50c, on the freezer lift it was probably colder than Mars.

The whole day consist of 2 runs and hot coco.

Last run got stuck at the lift for 5 mins at the top of the freezer. first time ever that I could feel the cold penetrate my goretex jacket

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
Minus 27c on Cairngorm in Scotland, early 80 ' s. Blue bird day so it didn't feel that cold but the skis were very reluctant to slide. I guess I missed the wax that day. I was told it was only minus 24c at the north pole that day which we milked in apre bar stories for a while!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jack, I’m sure we will see some cold weather in BS but the layers certainly have advanced since back in the day.
IMO east coast cold somehow seems colder than west cold but Im still considering boot heaters for the first time in my life.

I want to say the sign at the whiteface lift shack said wind chill - 90. Not sure, I was young but the coldest day I’ve experienced.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I honestly couldn't tell you the coldest day I skied in the midwest 20+ years ago. But in recent years, 3 Fahrenheit would be the coldest. And that was first thing in the morning. It warmed over the course of the day to 9 F. That is something I love about Tahoe. Its never brutally cold.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
coldest ever was -42 Whitewater near Nelson - saw one other person beside us skiing.
did show up to ski Sunshine once at -46 - but management was smarter and they didn't open.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
For me the coldest was a number of years ago at Stevens Pass; it was -5F. I remember choosing bumps over groomers to slow us down and make us work hard to stay warm.

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow you all are pretty hard core.

I'm thinking maybe the coldest I've experienced is 5F and windy at Mt. Tremblant.

Pretty rough on me.

That being said, scariest skiing was once on the top of Val Thorens, when it was both cold, and impossible to see. The signs that marked the crevasses on the sides were impossible to see.

skimore1

Booting up
Instructor
-40 f without wind chill Blue Mountain Collingwood Ontario,Canada a couple runs go in repeat. Side note: One guy in our party his engine block cracked on his Lincoln = $$$$ had to have it fixed there.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I don't know exactly what the temp was, but many years ago I went up the T-bar at Breck on the coldest, windiest day I can ever remember. There was a liftie at the top checking each person for signs of frostbite. He said" looks good, your nose is still attached" and sent me on my way. That was the last run of the day.

Sponsor

Staff online