• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
I figure there some pugski-er who runs in the winter out there who might be able to help me. This winter it looks like I'll be running when it's between -10 and 0 & windy pretty regularly (Wyoming). Ive always run in the winter but on the East coast and I figured out what to wear and it worked fine. Here I can't seem to figure it out, because it's cold, but cold in such a different way. I've been wearing a thermal shirt and down puffy -- which seems like an odd choice of running gear but I hate heavy layers and a puffy's light. The only problem is Im sweating in my puffy and it's just getting gross and for longer runs (more than ten miles) I need a better solution. Also, Im fine now with gore windstop running tights but when it gets colder (will I still be running when its colder, Im not quite sure), do I try to run in insulated pants? or long underwear under my running tights? I tried running sites briefly but ski people seem to know much more about warm clothing than running people ....

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Up top I like the Alpha Alpine zip up from Stio. Odd/warm- no sweat build up.

Bottoms: Mountain Hardwear semi fitted wind stopper Gore tights (with obligatory summer shorts over :) )

TS
E

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Brian Finch thanks! My oldest kid is a u12 with the stio founders kid so maybe I can score a free one to try ogwink. Nothing better in the world than gore windstopper running tights ... I mean if you like running ... See ya @ hood in a few months?

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With the caveat that I don't think I've run in below 15˚F temps but have had my share of wind, my coldest-weather running bottoms are actually Pearl Izumi Amfib tights, the no chammy version. I think what I wore on top may not pass muster in terms of layers... :)

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
I figure there some pugski-er who runs in the winter out there who might be able to help me. This winter it looks like I'll be running when it's between -10 and 0 & windy pretty regularly (Wyoming). Ive always run in the winter but on the East coast and I figured out what to wear and it worked fine. Here I can't seem to figure it out, because it's cold, but cold in such a different way. I've been wearing a thermal shirt and down puffy -- which seems like an odd choice of running gear but I hate heavy layers and a puffy's light. The only problem is Im sweating in my puffy and it's just getting gross and for longer runs (more than ten miles) I need a better solution. Also, Im fine now with gore windstop running tights but when it gets colder (will I still be running when its colder, Im not quite sure), do I try to run in insulated pants? or long underwear under my running tights? I tried running sites briefly but ski people seem to know much more about warm clothing than running people ....

Long time Wyo runner -Casper, Rock Springs, Evanston- prior to that North Dakota in temps reaching 20-30 below ( There used to be a race in January in Williston the -Kum& Go Polar Bear Run a two and five mile- one year it was -18 and freezing fog and one local runner ran the five in just shorts!!). Usually ran the zero ish days with light winds in wicking long johns and sweats. Hat and gloves. When it is a little windy some nylon wind breaker type pants and jacket. Have a Dry Road running suit from Road Runner Sports but it has to be very cold and windy for this to be bearable. Breathability is a big thing but if it breathes the wind will affect it. You won't have some of the problems with male anatomy but protect the parts that get sweaty -these areas can get frostbit and it really sucks to be miles from your house/ vehicle and running with your hands cupping vulnerable parts of your bod. (does little for running efficiency either). One other thing- plan your route so you can run with the wind on your return leg- helps a lot with the wind chilling effect. What part of Wyo? Used to run the Casper river trail after work at night- start at the soccer fields and ran past the Parkway Inn and down along Amoco park and return - after slipping and falling on the ice in the dark a couple of times decided to buy a good gym quality treadmill -running on seldom traveled paths in the dark is a good way to a bad ending. A lot warmer too. Watching recordings of WC races sure breaks the boredom of the treadmill.

TS
E

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Pequenita & @wyowindrunner thanks for the advice. Were in Jackson for the winter, where it's balmy at the moment .. Re frostbite, what's a good face solution? Ive tried running with a face mask on really cold / windy east coast days but couldn't really breathe. And here around -10 Ive noticed that my eyelashes go into this weird freeze / melt & drip down the face cycle which is less than ideal. Good times!

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have a couple tube things- about a foot long and open on each end- tight fitting and easy to adjustor the run. (facial hair helps too, and one can grow wonderous snot-cycles)

TS
E

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is how I entertain myself running -- counting how many seconds it takes for the snot to freeze on my jacket / mittens. Almost instantaneous sometimes :D

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Here's what I use: :D

tm.jpg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Everyone runs at such different intensities and simply have bodies that run far colder/hotter than others that its hard to recommend.

My breakthrough pieces over the last few years have been a good wind shirt -- something like the Patagonia Houdini -- that sacrifices much water proofness for great breathability.

When it gets really cold, my Patagonia Nano Air is the ticket -- way way more breathable than a typical down jacket but nearly the warmth. I expect for higher output runners (I'm just doing 2-4mi with the dog at a slowish pace), the Nano Air light, or Nano Hybrid would be better pieces. Other highly-breathable syn down products include those made with Polartec alpha which is $$$.

TS
E

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Brian Finch ty for the rec alpha alpine is a great jacket. How does it work when it’s really cold? so thin. Magic. Great for touring too ... on the way up, and on the way down .... nuts

TS
E

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Pequenita @wyowindrunner @Brian Finch reviving this thread because you all solved my problems last winter .... (@Brian Finch I sprang for a stio Azura xt which is one step warmer than Alpha alpine for the coldest days, its equally great). So it's been cold the last few days (minus 17 this morning) and Im running more than last year, and the freeze / drip eyelash cycle is driving me nuts. Ive tried all kinds of buff positioning and have finally figured out that I can't really run if anything's covering my mouth, so am looking for an eye only solution. Has anyone done something nuts like .. running with ski goggles? Im hoping one of you has so I don't have to try this myself. Im totally happy with every other aspect of running in the cold, love the frozen nose hair, line of frost on the hat, fine with the toe warmers in sneakers etc. Really want to zero in on solving the eyelashes :roflmao: Willing to entertain any out of the box suggestions / ideas ......

TS
E

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@coskigirl yes!! But the question is .. is it worth a $153 experiment? Has anyone actually tried something like these? Gotta love .. "this eyewear also feels at home in the après ski scene " hahahahahahahahahaha

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heh. Running with ski goggles is all you. :) I haven't tried it. I also don't think I've run in temps where freezing eyelashes is an issue. Alternatively, I've been saying for years that my lashes are short and stubby, so maybe that's why it hasn't been an issue.

TS
E

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@coskigirl actually yes, will give it a whirl. I'll report back ... no photos though ... actually only party pics :roflmao:. @Pequenita Ive wondered if theres something wrong w my eyes / eyelashes bc I run w other people and theyre all like huh doesnt bother me. But these are also people who run in shorts whenever its above like 15 so I think their bodies have just adapted to being cold or their minds dont register it or something. Whats funny is we meet up and no one ever mentions the weather, this morning I was dying to say PEOPLE ITS MINUS 17 but that was clearly just not the right thing to say.

Sponsor