• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cold weather synthetic engine oil question: how low?

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh noze, un-natural synthetics are better than Mom's oils?!! Imma gonna let you use your cute Dino oils, and help you tow your burnt up vehicle to the Russian money laundering junk yard that haz too much organic human DNA in it's crushed/compressed daddy's little babies.

I'm going to regret posting this, aren't I??

On a more serious note, because of the valuable input here, I've concluded that MB knows their sh*t and can be trusted,but local dealers may be confused.

Oh, and a double naked OF after a forced march 10 mile hike is da shizzle.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a side note having changed oil today ... found this interesting but not greatly surprising, review showing little difference between full synthetic oils and their protection of an engine. Can go a bit with the "Oil Change Interval" but ..

I seem to put more credibility in worrying about Oil Filters and their quality over the Oils ...

https://jalopnik.com/why-expensive-oil-is-a-waste-of-money-1797241527

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
just put the tt back on the road, and took in for usual service today,
Was told that despite it only having 6k on it since the last synthetic oil change, over a year ago, time also makes a difference,
According to service manager "carbon can still release off oil into the turbo intake and possibly cause damage".
according to him time or mileage are both factors.
Sound like I may have been just as far ahead to stick with regular oil and do more changes
not sure if his was the best advice or a different dealer would be a better fit.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
just put the tt back on the road, and took in for usual service today,
Was told that despite it only having 6k on it since the last synthetic oil change, over a year ago, time also makes a difference,
According to service manager "carbon can still release off oil into the turbo intake and possibly cause damage".
according to him time or mileage are both factors.
Sound like I may have been just as far ahead to stick with regular oil and do more changes
not sure if his was the best advice or a different dealer would be a better fit.

I don't put very many kms/year on my '93 MR2 turbo but I change the synthetic oil every fall before taking it off the road for the winter. Turbos produce high temps and synthetic oil does a better job cooling turbo bearings vs mineral oil.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
think i'll follow your method in future, I've been getting too lax on a few things that require service latelyy

Sponsor