• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cold toes: socks or boot issue?

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I have never in all my years skiing complained of my feet being cold. Just this year my big toes (and only the big toes) are frigid! My boots are 2 years new, fit flawlessly, and are not tight across the toes or toe box. My socks are the same as always: smart wool & icebreakers. I wear a single pair, no wrinkles, and nothing extra tucked into the boots. Don't believe its medical/circulation related as it only bothers me when I ski. Perplexed here.....suggestions?

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I had the same issue towards the end of last year. Turns out the toe seal on my boot was leaking so cold water and wind was getting in.

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Did you check for dampness/ moistur
? Did you check the boot toe seals and overlap?
No dampness

what is the best way to check the toe seal & overlap? Can I do this myself or should I bring them to a fitter?

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
I ski with duct tape across the toe seams of my boots. My family makes fun of me but it does make a noticeable difference in heat retention.

My wife's feet are always cold. This year she is trying the neoprene boot gloves. So far, so good. It's not drastic but probably keeps your feet a few degrees warmer.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Just for kix

Change into fresh ski socks after about 1 1/2 hours of skiing.
Take your time, Get your boots off and feet warmed up.

Then go back out and have fun. The morning push often leaves my feet cold . Because they were too warm earlier....
Fresh socks works for me...

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Tried a pair of knockoff Lenz socks yesterday, hated them They warmed the soles of my feet to the point of being uncomfortable on the lowest setting- but didn't warm the toe tips or toe box area.

Also played with wearing my old boots today: hated them they hurt my feet, but my toes were not cold.... to be fair I also was only outside in them for about 2 hours total vs. a whole day.

Went to the boot guys today: my liners & toe seams are fully intact. No bunching, packing, or creasing noted. So have that technical stuff ruled out. Boot guys talked me into getting new liners: Sidas winter insoles. Tried on low/med/high arches & went with the high arches. Cost $50, worse case I change them to my snow boots which could definitely use some support.

@CalG Will definitely try changing socks mid day! Thanks for a simple and practical suggestion- never crossed my mind

@Idahosnow do you duck tape the toe seams of the liner or the outer shell of the boot? Neoprene boot gloves are a great suggestion too- just googled them and they are relatively cheap on Amazon

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
nto getting new liners: Sidas winter insoles.

Wait, did you get new liners or new footbeds or both? The sidas winter insoles are footbeds.

One duct tapes the outer shell.

When using Boot Gloves on smaller boots (than about 295BSL), watch for the Glove being loose at the instep; snow can get packed in there. Especially in powder. (We should all have that problem, right?)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tried a pair of knockoff Lenz socks yesterday, hated them They warmed the soles of my feet to the point of being uncomfortable on the lowest setting- but didn't warm the toe tips or toe box area.

I have the Lenz 5.0 sock, which focuses the heating element at the toes. It solved my cold toes issues

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
@frontfive I just tape across the toes on the outside of my shells (Lange). It lasts about 10 ski days and then I take it off and slap another piece on. Like I said, it's not a drastic difference but without the tape I can actually feel air entering the shell.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I started wearing ultra-ultra-ultra thin Ovation Zocks recently, and it's not a huge difference in thickness, but they do seem to keep my feet a little bit warmer than Smartwools – might be worth trying?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
@frontfive I just tape across the toes on the outside of my shells (Lange). It lasts about 10 ski days and then I take it off and slap another piece on. Like I said, it's not a drastic difference but without the tape I can actually feel air entering the shell.
Try Gorilla Tape or Flex Seal tape instead of normal duct tape. Either one will probably last at least through the season.

TS
frontfive

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Wait, did you get new liners or new footbeds or both? The sidas winter insoles are footbeds.

One duct tapes the outer shell.

When using Boot Gloves on smaller boots (than about 295BSL), watch for the Glove being loose at the instep; snow can get packed in there. Especially in powder. (We should all have that problem, right?)
New footbeds- same liners. My error in terminology. Skiing Loon tomorrow so excited to see if footbeds make a difference & will try the changing socks method. Next up ducktape & boot gloves if these methods dont work

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
New footbeds- same liners. My error in terminology. Skiing Loon tomorrow so excited to see if footbeds make a difference & will try the changing socks method. Next up ducktape & boot gloves if these methods dont work
Duct tape just ups your ski-cred. :ogcool:

Sponsor

Staff online