• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coalition Snow - Skis and Boards Made by Women

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I participated in the Kickstarter and have a nifty peacock hoodie.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well I have tried many many women's skis (Kiku, aura's, All the head line (fat thang) etc and wasn't overly impressed. They were either guys skis with a pretty top sheet (which I don't mind being girly but I won't pay more for the same thing) or they just didn't impress me. Too soft, not torsionally stiff enough, heavy as a guys with no advantage, not as nice performance as the high end slalom ski. Does anyone even make a high end race ski for women? I can't find it. I was completely shocked when I liked the Head Great Joy and that was why I bought it. The head rep had to practically beg me to try them instead of a guys lol. So there's one i like now. But I can't say I have been happy with the women's skis I've tried. Often too short for my weight and ability.
The Joy series from Head is nothing like the previous generations of Head Women's skis. IMHO the Thang series was fairly soft, and the Mya series wasn't terribly inspirational. The Joy line, however brings joy to my skiing.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, the Thang series depended on the ski though. I use one that is the Monster 78. Can't recall the name of it but i use it to teach lol, and it is identical to the man's ski only is pink butterfly camo. makes an indestructible ski to teach on in the east. I tried several different womens skis from varying manufacturers but all 2011 and before, nothing since. Really never found one inspiring. I was going to buy the women's version of the Johnny 94 when i got it and the store knew me and suggested I still with the mens due to my ski style and so i could go longer. I asked were they not identical and he said there was some torsional differences.....

kickerfrank

Let's Talk Business
Manufacturer
That being said, how much of a market is there for the niche that Coalition is reaching for?

That's a good point. Their data shows 9.7M skiers with 41% women. That's 4M women skiers. Their market seems to be for hard chargers. What percentage of women are looking for a more aggressive ski? 10%? (I have no idea) but I usually start pretty conservative when I do forecasting). So thei US market for hard charging women let's say is 400k skiers. That's a good amount of skiers to target. The big question is execution of their business plan. How do they get to these customers and are they providing the right product.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is my thoughts Kicker. But being an eastern skier who get to travel west, I realize they eliminate many more women in the hard charger group. The product they are supplying is big mountain skis. So they eliminate all the women in the east by not having a nice women's race ski. Hard charging eastern women. I'd love to try their ski when I'm west but I couldn't use in the east (though I'm really hoping some day i live west lol), and I have a ski I love in the west, but I would really have liked to try out their powder ski when I was acting tail guide at Castle on the Cat skiing cause I tried a new ski every time I went and found only one that I liked as much at my own Johnny 94 and that was the K2 KungFuja, and it was aimed at the same market as mine so not worth owning two.

So their product would to me be aimed at women that heli ski, cat ski, trip out of bounds as often as possible and/or chase the powder. That's a hard market cause it's small. They might convince a few heli operations to have some on hand but the percentage of women who came out to Cat ski was much lower than men, not sure if that holds true for all operations.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The company was on Adventure Capitalists last night, it did not go well for them. No investment was made.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've seen Coalition skis at REI. I really want them to succeed. I have no opinion on their skis as I've never tried them. The ambassador that is mentioned above loves, loves, loves her Coalition skis I will say that. They do offer a pro deal if anyone is ever interested in buying a pair.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been in contact with Jenn a few times in at attempt to try her skis, but its been difficult between her schedule and mine.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The company was on Adventure Capitalists last night, it did not go well for them. No investment was made.
WOW, just watched the segment. Saying it didn't go well is a vast understatement. Not going to spoil it any more that what @Dwight said. @Muleski, you must watch.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, I just watched the "snow" episode of Adventure Capitalist on Apple TV - CNBC App.
IMHO Jenn made some mistakes, but then the level of business discussion on this show aren't quite as in depth as Shark Tank.
I would say Jeremy Bloom has some of the strongest presence and he was pretty clear on his preparation for the products being presented.
The valuation Jenn has for her business is off in relation to the potential market for her skis and the $175,000 she has made in the three years she's been marketing.
:huh:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Watched the show, she is proud of her product. It seemed Bode liked the idea of the niche, but wanted to control the construction/quality.

Interesting

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, I just watched the "snow" episode of Adventure Capitalist on Apple TV - CNBC App.
IMHO Jenn made some mistakes, but then the level of business discussion on this show aren't quite as in depth as Shark Tank.
I would say Jeremy Bloom has some of the strongest presence and he was pretty clear on his preparation for the products being presented.
The valuation Jenn has for her business is off in relation to the potential market for her skis and the $175,000 she has made in the three years she's been marketing.
:huh:

The fine print does say they much more due diligence is down before the show.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Fun stuff!

Well, "didn't go well" is a huge understatement. Not just in terms of her valuation, lack of a deal, lack of an ongoing relationship with potentially valuable partners, but IMO in the way she presented herself and her company. Ouch. Maybe a near fatal ouch. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

Not good. She turned me right off like a light switch. Not sure why.

Couple of takeaways. You have Jeremy Bloom, who is a smart, smart guy talking about how TINY the ski business is. This company was too small to even consider. Makes one think hard about all of small artisan builders trying to make it work. Tough to carve out a niche and scale it. Really hard. Even harder I think if you can't bootstrap it.

Maybe just timing, but it makes me wonder about others. Not so much about Renoun, as I think Cyrus really is onto a unique product. Unique design. He'll be just fine.

What I see, among strong serious female skiers is that MOST are more concerned with the best product. All of my 28 year old daughter's friends ski on men's skis. As they like the skis. Not that there are not a lot of good women's skis out there now. Just not sure if the made by women for women trumps some of the rest.

Bode's "offer", IMO, was probably smoke. I would be willing to bet that he sees no upside in the women for women market in this industry. And a lot of his dialog, IMO, was a bit inflated. See Aztech relative to his Fortress discussion. Not sure how innthe weeds Bode is. Also, let's see what actually unfolds with Bomber. Many conflicting opinions, and to be blunt "alternative facts" about Bomber out there. Most informative comment was that he felt these skis "did not suck." Not sure if not sucking is enough to grow on!

Was interested to see Bode in on the bike, too. Another interesting business, with a wide segment of followers and buyers. And big companies. Was a bit surprised about his Euro comments.

A few years ago, Bode was really excited about trying to start a national grilled cheese food truck business. Somehow he had not realized that there were and estimated 1500 grilled cheese food trucks already operating and building followers....doing business. He was persuaded not to try it, when some initial investor response pointed it out.

Making the best grilled cheese, and habing the best brand and trucks would not cut it.

Bode is a smart guy. Native smarts. I hope that his investments, in balance do work out. He talks a very good game. Knows all of the right vocabulary. So really fun to see on this show. Hope he's back!

First time I have seen the show. I like it. Fun to see the various products. Fun group of people.
Jeremy Bloom has always been viewed as a smart one. "Much more than a mogul skier", I always heard.

Neat concept for a show. Hope it's not buried on CNBC.

Sponsor

Staff online