• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Coaching at Resorts on USFS land

SkiSchoolPros

Impact Ecosystem- ie.Money with Meaning
Skier
Has anyone coached independently or been associated with any programs who partner with Resorts operating with USFS permits? i.e. Early season race training at Copper

I know that the FS 2700 5b Ski Area Term Special Use Permit allows resort operators to "sublease the use of land and improvements covered under this permit and the operation of concessions and facilities authorized upon prior written notice to the authorized officer."

I see that Copper has some insurance requirements
but was wondering what sort of revenue reporting must be done by outside coaches, clubs, teams, etc?
(When calculating revenue for fee payment under Fs 2700 5b allows the permit holder to exclude rent paid to the holder by subholders BUT believe that they are suppose to include gross revenue of their subholders. I.e. If a resort charges a restaurant or coach $100/day to operate under their USFS permit and the restaurant/coach has gross revenue of $400/day, then the resort can exclude the $100 from revenue, but must include the $400 for fee calculation purposes. Where I suspect it gets complicated is when an athlete is charged a single fee for activities that take place on both private and public land...resort operators must break out this revenue, so do they require coaches and teams to do so???

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes. The high school race team I was involved with. We hired a coach. We bought discounted passes. We were assigned a run each night for training. Mt Hood Meadows on USFS land. Each person signed many release forms for the train area, each season's race areas, the individual school, the racing league, the coaches and parents....

We paid fees directly to the racing league, so we're not aware of details for race day revenues to the area. For training we paid nothing to Mt Hood Meadows. The only revenue to them was for discounted season passes.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The team at Whitefish was "spun off" from the mountain maybe a decade back? I was a ski team parent prior to that, but my daughter worked as a coach several years after the spin off. The team is still shown on the resort website, the instructors are paid by the parents foundation but get free season passes. There is some kind of financial agreement which provides them with a T-bar for training and night time lights on the training hill, since the kids are training when the resort is "closed". For the specifics you'd have to contact a board member. The training definitely takes place on a combination of federal and private land.

Sponsor