• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you all think I should stick around the 169 cm length? (That's the size of the decade old park skis I'm using right now. I'm 5'9.4" and 165 lbs) And if I have the option, should I lean longer or shorter?

For your height & weight, yeah, my guess would be something in the low 170s for starters as an intermediate length, up through the middle to high 170s to cater to a more advanced/aggressive skier. A few cm over or under are pretty negligible, but sizing down substantially into the mid 160s will probably be really nice and nimble in the trees and bumps where the short turn radius comes in handy, but create a really unstable and squirrelly sensation at speed, especially on the groomers. Vice versa, too long will feel really smooth on open slopes making wide turns, but might feel harder to control in tight spaces or steep terrain when you want to make tight turns.

If, say, the Legend X feels difficult to control at 173, I'd look at trying a different ski that's softer before I'd try to fix it by dropping to 166.

If I'm really in between sizes on ski I like, I tend to go longer in hopes that I'll also get better as time goes on. And if that doesn't pan out, I can always resort to getting fatter - lol.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I go for the demos, do you all think I should stick around the 169 cm length? (That's the size of the decade old park skis I'm using right now. I'm 5'9.4" and 165 lbs) And if I have the option, should I lean longer or shorter?
+1 for what @Analisa said.

If you are doing an on-hill demo, trying two sizes is even better.

Further thought, look at the style of ski, and the size range it comes in. I would expect you to be in the middle size or maybe a bit below based on size. Slalom skis are short, free ride skis are long. So the type of ski will influence the absolute length.

More reading:
http://blistergearreview.com/recommended/how-to-think-about-ski-length

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well folks, I went a little rogue. I just clicked "Place Order" on some new 173 cm Atomic Vantage 85 CTIs for $240.

The price seemed too good to pass up - 3 days of rentals would have half the cost paid for.

From the reviews I've read, it sounds like the Vantages will be perfect for me on the groomers and in the bumps/trees/off trail. Hoping the 85 width isn't too narrow for the deeper days, but @trailtrimmer brought up some good points about leaning towards a narrower ski at my ability level.

Pretty excited! Hopefully I didn't jump the gun.

Now the follow up question. I'm assuming a ski shop can move the bindings from my old skis to these Vantages? I've got some entry level Solomon bindings bought new in 2013 on my current skis. Is that a bad idea for any reason?

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Don't even consider putting those old bindings on your new skis. Lots of great setups with newer technology can be had for $125 - $200. Your MN shop would be happy to sell and install them for you. Or perhaps get the bindings at the same place you get your new boots, then you would have no mounting / BSL issues. You may have to spend a precious day out of your western trip to get it all dialed in but the results are worth it. Your next question should be "who's the best boot fitter in _______"

I'm stoked for you, I love buying new toys!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This is correct. I don't really care about optimizing my choice for MN skiing, because I do so little of it. I treat my 2-3 days of skiing here as nothing more than a tune up to hole me over until my next trip to Steamboat/Snowmass/Winter Park/Big Sky/Whistler/Park City etc.
Clearly you NEED two pairs of skis: Elan Ripstick 96 for out west, AND something like an under 76 mm gs cheater or sl cheater ski for Minnesota - maybe you can find an old used Atomic SX11 for cheap.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't even consider putting those old bindings on your new skis. Lots of great setups with newer technology can be had for $125 - $200. Your MN shop would be happy to sell and install them for you. Or perhaps get the bindings at the same place you get your new boots, then you would have no mounting / BSL issues. You may have to spend a precious day out of your western trip to get it all dialed in but the results are worth it. Your next question should be "who's the best boot fitter in _______"

I'm stoked for you, I love buying new toys!
Pardon my ignorance, but now this noob is filled with questions.

1) Have there really been that many technological advancements to bindings in the last five years?
2) My skis cost $240... it seems crazy to me to spend almost the same amount just on bindings. Am I missing something?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
1) Way easier to sell your old skis with bindings attached to them and lots of deals on bindings that would match the new skis. Bindings do wear and most shops won’t even look at bindings that are over 10 years old due to liability issues and you’re already half way there on the current ones.

Newer bindings can be lighter, bought with the proper matching brake with for the new skis, have less ramp delta issues and be more future boot sole proof with the ability to use GW or WTR sole boots.

2)Lots of great 2018 bindings in the $160 range like the Head Attack2 13 or the Look SPX 12 WTR that would be an upgrade over the old bindings or your local dealer might have some deals on those in last years models. Performance in this price range would give a great bang for the buck and be a great match for the new skis.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Less than $450-$500 for a ready to go set of skis isn't bad at all. Can't hurt to give a little cash to a local shop and sell your old ones to offset your costs.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm not familiar with what a shop would charge to mount your old bindings, $30 to $60 maybe? But I'm reasonably certain you could work a deal with the shop that sells you new boots and bindings to throw it in for free.

See, you're saving money!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not familiar with what a shop would charge to mount your old bindings, $30 to $60 maybe? But I'm reasonably certain you could work a deal with the shop that sells you new boots and bindings to throw it in for free.

See, you're saving money!
That,
At my shop, if you bought the boots and bindings, mountain and testing would be free.
Compared to $45 mounting/testing fee.
Also, trying to sell older, skis like you have, without bindings would be really hard. Most people looking for a cheap set like that want it to be one and done.

If you end up with Gripwalk or WTR boots, you will NEED new boots anyway.

So, buy boots, and once you have those, preferably buy some bindings at the same shop and ask them to do the install. You mentioned Pierce Skate and Ski, they are good, as is Joe’s and so is Hoigarards, I hear they have a boot fitter who knows how to ski:

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you made a good choice with buying the Vantage 85’s. They can’t be more than a year or two old, and if new condition you could have easily paid twice what you did for them. Consider yourself wise and/or lucky for saving a couple hundred dollars, and go buy some new bindings.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I watch/read all the reviews/videos and what not, and it helps me create a short list of things to try, but nothing replaces a demo. Feeling how it skis and reacts to you is what matters.

Most mountains have free demo days put on by local shops or reps and you can try a bunch of stuff in different lengths and see exactly how they perform for you.

+1 to everyone that mentioned high end boots from a real boot fitter that can work with you. Heating up a liner is the bare minimum for being fit well, but when you get into true performance fits there is grinding and punching and wedges and more.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Pardon my ignorance, but now this noob is filled with questions.

1) Have there really been that many technological advancements to bindings in the last five years?
2) My skis cost $240... it seems crazy to me to spend almost the same amount just on bindings. Am I missing something?

My 2cts. When I think of skis and boots, I think performance. When I think of bindings, (sure, there is that, but) I think health. For instance, your bindings need to be inspected by a technician each season so they release at the right time. It costs money, but I'll rather spending in bindings and not in health bills :)

The way I see it, you got the planks for next to free. Awesome buy. You'll love them. But think of the whole package: you'll get new skis and bindings, properly mounted and setup for about $450, to @trailtrimmer 's point. You did really well. Good pointers above on how to get going with the bindings and expected price ranges.

MidwestSkier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I was in a similar situation a few years ago... occasional day ski in Iowa , with 1-2x trips out west a year. First, as indicated above ...get the Boots ! Then I rented ski's for a couple trips...not the run of the mill rentals, but talk to the shop and see what they have for performance/demo skis.I tried 2-3 different skis, and landed on the Rossi Experience 88. There is a lot of technical info about ski's online, and I read alot, but the bottom line, these were the ski's that just seemed to work for me.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
OP said his binding is "new" in 2013, not as old as his second hand skis from 2005!

The Fugitive and the Vantage are about the same width. So no brake width issues.

How much can he sell his 2005 Fugitive for, even with binding? It may not cover the cost of a new binding, even considering the remounting cost.

Best suggestion from above is work with the shop he buys his boot from. Hand them both skis and ask which cost less. Pay to move the binding from the old skis? Or buy new bindings with free mounting?

Technically, all boot shops "adjust" existing bindings for free to the new boots anyway. So they're not likely to charge too much for moving the binding to the new skis.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I unloaded the old skis on craigslist... for $125! Someone actually offered more than the list price.

It turns out my old bindings weren't totally entry level. They were Solomon Z12s which seem to go for $160 new? The buyer of the skis seemed happy about that.

Today's an exciting gear day. My new 2017 Atomic Vantage 85 CTIs are scheduled for delivery, then I'm heading to the bootfitter this afternoon for some boots and bindings.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's my plan, which I know isn't ideal:

I'm going to see if the bootfitter can recommend some bindings good for both my old boots and my new boots. When I head for a week long trip to Steamboat next week, I'll use my old boots with my new skis and new bindings. Wrong, I know... but I've heard new boots are a "process" usually requiring a few adjustments. The last thing I want is to find out on day one in Colorado that my new boots hurt, only to be stuck there for the rest of the week while my bootfitter (who offers free adjustments for life) is in Minnesota.

After next week's Steamboat trip, I'll get the bindings adjusted to the new boots, then I'll test the the new boots for a couple days around the Minnesota hills. That way, if I need any adjustments, I can get those done before my next trip to Colorado at the end of February.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Here's my plan, which I know isn't ideal:

I'm going to see if the bootfitter can recommend some bindings good for both my old boots and my new boots. When I head for a week long trip to Steamboat next week, I'll use my old boots with my new skis and new bindings. Wrong, I know... but I've heard new boots are a "process" usually requiring a few adjustments. The last thing I want is to find out on day one in Colorado that my new boots hurt, only to be stuck there for the rest of the week while my bootfitter (who offers free adjustments for life) is in Minnesota.

After next week's Steamboat trip, I'll get the bindings adjusted to the new boots, then I'll test the the new boots for a couple days around the Minnesota hills. That way, if I need any adjustments, I can get those done before my next trip to Colorado at the end of February.

I would ask the bootfitter, actually. My instinct would be to go up ready to use the new boots, but bring the old ones just in case. And yes, I would ask if I can get "demo" type bindings that are adjustable. But your boots are probably close enough in BSL that most regular bindings would accomodate both? The shop will be able to help.

I only bought boots twice so far, and none of them was so uncomfy as to prevent being used. One needed a little punching that yes, i noticed while skiing. But I skied a few days on them, it was just a bit of soreness, nothing major. But there are are people here who have a lot of experience, and even boot fitters who can give you some real color before you head up there for the fitting.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Much depends on the individual, of course, but I have VERY idiosyncratic feet and my bootfitter got me fitted well enough in the first visit to last me for a month or so. Only needed to tweak a tiny bit after the liners had packed some. I would tend to agree with Mendieta; don't delay getting well-fitting boots. Get them and, if you're nervous, take the old ones also. Fitted boots will make much more of a difference in your skiing than new skis.

Sponsor

Staff online