• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Club Sandwich Poll

Should club sandwiches should be made with turkey, or chicken?

• Chicken

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Turkey

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Flawed poll - state your reason.

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In college, one of my buddy's family businesses was Hellmann's. Later he became a neighbor. Would often get a case. Real healthy!! Haha. To me, it is Mayo! Our kids say the same thing whenever they are back East.

On that condiment topic, I'm a fan of Gulden's brown mustard, which is the mustard of Fenway Franks.
I am a fan of Guldens too, best on a...dog...but Frenches yellow on Philly soft pretzels.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My father's homemade mayo is the only mayo I really like although a local restaurant makes the only BLT I've really ever loved. Tenderbelly bacon, greens, tomato, mayo on toasted sourdough. I think they use a housemade mayo so that's probably part of it. I guess I know what I'll be getting for lunch tomorrow.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Avocado mayo is still being perfected but when they work out the bugs and add Chipotle I'm ditching the Hellmans.

I voted for turkey (first time ever, well where I intended to vote for a turkey, some of them turned out that way). The Bird Sandwich at The Boneyard uses chicken and avo but it's really done right. It also comes with fries that are so good I'd order a shitty sandwich if I had to to get them.

Then there's the Teton Club at a market around the corner from me now. It's on a French roll. I know...blasphemy...but damn it works. They balance the ingredients perfectly, include killer mapilized bacon and upgrade the cheese. Now I have to head out for one...

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Behold the awesome BLT.

6BD2D948-897D-43AD-A15B-15D6C0154620.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We used to make chicken salad with turkey at a restaurant I worked at. Why pick a few chickens when one turkey will suffice. :huh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You guys on the east are sooo lucky..you get Hellmann's..we are stuck with Best Foods mayo west of the Rockies. ;)

Aren't they the same product? Different labels? 'Bring out the Hellmann's and bring out the Best!' was their jingle. Am I right?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Aren't they the same product? Different labels? 'Bring out the Hellmann's and bring out the Best!' was their jingle. Am I right?

I remember the jingle, well!

Both of our adult kids live in the Rockies, and west. My understanding has always been that it's a distribution and branding thing. Why? I can't say. I think the product, ingredients and process is the exact same. Think. I'm going to fire off an email to try to get an answer. Have not checked the Google machine.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I actually have 2 on my desk right now. My travel coffee mug and my water tumbler (pictured).

I think my wife and I have about 8 of them. We were given a tall coffee mug and a 21 oz water bottle for Christmas last year. They are great! As a result, we have a whole bunch of Kleen Canteen bottles collecting dust.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
... and upgrade the cheese...

Yes! Cheese is the most underrated sandwich ingredient. Not having it is what ruins a standard BLT.

The thing that makes a great sandwich though, IMO, is a good meat to cheese to bread ratio. I know a bunch of people who think a good sandwich means thin bread, huge piles of meat, and a little cheese and veggies. I don't get it.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes! Cheese is the most underrated sandwich ingredient. Not having it is what ruins a standard BLT.

The thing that makes a great sandwich though, IMO, is a good meat to cheese to bread ratio. I know a bunch of people who think a good sandwich means thin bread, huge piles of meat, and a little cheese and veggies. I don't get it.
Right? A sandwich isn't just a whimsical, whatever creation. Respect the science of it. There are ratios, balance, condiment integration, structural integrity, user friendliness...and that's just a start. I think there are ISO standards somewhere.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Right? A sandwich isn't just a whimsical, whatever creation. Respect the science of it. There are ratios, balance, condiment integration, structural integrity, user friendliness...and that's just a start. I think there are ISO standards somewhere.

I've got my quirks on the condiment front though... Miracle Whip is great, Italian dressing on the right sandwich is great, mayo is not good, and mustard, as far as I can tell, is the worst food on earth.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Damn bacon.......... I used to be a vegetarian................. damn bacon.........................

Yes Hellmans/Best foods - same mayo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellmann's_and_Best_Foods

I remember the jingle, well!

Both of our adult kids live in the Rockies, and west. My understanding has always been that it's a distribution and branding thing. Why? I can't say. I think the product, ingredients and process is the exact same. Think. I'm going to fire off an email to try to get an answer. Have not checked the Google machine.

The say it's the same...I will question it until I hit the grave...very well from a heart attack due to clogged arteries.

I've got my quirks on the condiment front though... Miracle Whip is great,... mayo is not good, and mustard, as far as I can tell, is the worst food on earth.
I am seriously questioning if we can be friends.

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Club Sandwiches have been a favorite of mine for decades. Turkey Clubs that is. I had a club sandwich at a restaurant not for from here on my way home from northern Quebec. The rental Toyota suddenly sprung this image of a hot cup of coffee and a message saying, "Would you like a break", just as I was passing the restaurant (Kate's Country Kitchen), so I pulled in and ordered a club sandwich. The waitress asked me if I wanted mustard or mayo. I had never had mustard on a club that I can recall. After thinking about it, I said "Both." It was a very good club sandwich, but I'm not sure the mustard improved it.

Sponsor