• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

closing day

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
A bit sad, but with some relief, it was season's end on lift serve skiing at the local bump
We have had three days of glorious spring conditions with all the corn and bumps one could desire.
Today was a bit lackluster, no bar-b-q on the back deck, No rowdy music at the summit. It must have been the clouds.

I managed to ski our steeps, run the bumps, poach the favorite closed trails , and even hike out from the "south Side" after bumping down pristine corn. (well worth the steps back up and out even if I could have called for a snow machine ride out)

Trail sweep was a mix of missed checks and arms full of ropes and syn-boo as we made a effort at cleaning up the hill.

With arms full of ropes and poles, and piles of slush everywhere, I felt like my skiing was crap. 110% attention on every turn. Rain drops filled the lenses of my goggles. What an end!

Reaching the locker room, I pulled up the corn and slush adorned pant cuffs in order to kick off my ski boots one last time this season, only to realize I had neglected to buckle my boots or lock out the walk mode as I was leaving the summit building for sweep.. Doooh!

The last beers in the fridge were picked over and opened. (I got the last Sierra Nevada ale from the case I brought in on Friday)
Then someone popped the cork on a champagne bottle that an appreciative guest had given a year or two ago after we had "rescued" some family member long forgotten. Little sips all around. Huge smiles all Around
Then there were a few "phone photos" to compliment the group photo at the summit.

This patrol gig has it's moments....

'can't wait for next year

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Always a bitter sweet day. I've been to two closing days the last two Sundays. They can be very fun, but also tinged with the knowledge that this kind of fun is over for many months. I hope to ski for a few more weeks, so the two I just attended (Solitude Apr 14 and Crested Butte Apr 7) didn't sting so bad. Neither of those are familiar mtns for me, so it was kind of a privilege to join the festivities/celebrations held by the regulars

Sponsor

Staff online