• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Going to bring this back to the OP....

I just did a lesson with one of the Clendenin Method coaches for a day. My wife did as well. We did not do a camp, but were taught the method. Here are my main takeaways:

1) Lesson content is consistent with other lessons I have taken. The words are different, but fundamentally it fits with other instruction. But the focus here really is to promote success in the bumps. This guides their approach.
2) Big emphasis on removing stem entry to turn. Their mantra is to tip the new inside ski first to start the turn. This prevents a stem entry.
3) Soft edges and drifted turns. Carving is not taught and method is not a fan of carving. Why? They see it as a less versatile way to turn. Also, I think they think it is more prone to causing a student to revert to stemming.
4) Stemming in the bumps prevents good bump skiing (their idea). So they focus on narrowing stance, drifted turns, starting turn by rolling the new inside ski first. These turns look kind of 'yawn' on a groomer. But they work well in the bumps.
5) They have some unique terminology. It's purpose is to communicate ideas more compactly. I think it does succeed, but is not really meant for the kind of person on this forum...
6) They don't take you if you are not at least intermediate. The concepts don't really work for a never ever skier.
7) Focus is for you to ski the entire mountain, not just groomers. This means bumps... I'm not sure what they teach for crud.... I think their approach would work well for turns in powder.

Everything was done with the goal to narrow stance, promote soft edges, even pressure on both skis. All good things for bumps. Lots of these kinds of turns on groomers. Not a high performance looking way to ski. But, they want to get you to where you can ski all day with no pain and little effort. This way of skiing definitely does that. It will get you into the bumps and skiing them easily (especially if they are aspen quality bumps... TBD if this works on icy bumps).

Skiing this way did improve my awareness of my feet, edges, balance, stance, and therefore, mogul skiing. I still need to play with this some more, but I was able to do some zipper line in blue bumps where I may have meandered more before. Disclosure: I have spent a lot of time prior working on bumps specifically, so I did have some skills in bumps before, but definitely more of a meandering/turn shopping approach. I found the instruction beneficial for bump skiing and did feel an improvement.
Who'd you ski with?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@Ron -- Nope we did two one day privates with one of his minions in Aspen at Ajax mountain. Those bumps are awesome to learn on. John had just left to go to Steamboat while we were there. The coach left I think the next day for Steamboat for the camp.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@LiquidFeet - I found your post in a now closed thread and wanted to pick at it some...this seemed like the best place to do it.

Below is the Bumps-for-Boomers process for getting down bump runs, which I gleaned from extensive reading this last summer (I have not attended a camp):

--Separation is not required at Bumps-for-Boomers camps. I assume that's because the program doesn't have time to embed this movement pattern.
--For that reason skiers ski mostly square, choose one turn at a time, and take a slow, meandering line through the bumps.

--Skiers are taught to stand tall in a narrow stance as they ski (to get them forward), with shoulders held level with the hill.
--In the bumps, skiers are taught to start a turn from a slow traverse across the hill. This traverse produces the meandering line.
--As they traverse, skis are kept flat and slipping/drifting. The goal is to slow to a comfortable, secure-feeling crawl.
--To start a turn, skiers are taught to reach forward to make a forward pole plant.
--Then they are taught to stand tall on the uphill ski's little toe edge. This uphill leg extension flattens both skis.
--They are told to allow their sternum to move downhill (upper body crosses over the skis). Ending videos show intermittent success.
--Skiers slowly pivot the flattened skis down and around through the turn. Slight wedge entries may occur when the inside ski lags behind.
--All movements are to be done in slow motion.
--Final videos show skiers' upper bodies staying square to the skis as they come around.
--Some skiers in those videos use upper body rotation to strengthen the turn, but others allow upper bodies to simply follow the turning skis.
--Bumps-for-Boomers calls this turn the "Precision Drift."
--Clients successfully ski black bumps at Aspen.

A lot of what your write here is true of the Clendenin method. There is a lot of similarity between it and Bumps for Boomers, so I'm just going to assume my experience reflects both programs... to a degree.

I did see some contrary points, specifically regarding separation (i.e. 'staying square to the skis') and applicability to more advanced skiers. During the lesson I was able to show enough skill/progression that the idea of separation was reintroduced. Initially it was taught as stance. Mainly to keep the upper body 45 degrees to the skis, facing downhill. This is sort of a baby step toward separation. Pole plants were also examined, as they contribute to keeping the upper body down the hill. There was even some work on low angle zipper line tactic with the drifted turns. These are not possible without separation. This was a bit of a fail for me, since I wasn't quite ready - but I did accomplish more than I had before. I definitely need more practice to develop the quick feet.

So, they do teach separation when the student is ready - in the bumps.

The primary aim is just to get people skiing bumps comfortably - people who are intermediates on groomers. That is the biggest market anyway. At first, it looks like what I would call 'old man bump skiing.' It's not dynamic, the skis are square, but that's not to say it isn't technically difficult for an intermediate. #1 issue I see with others and myself when it comes to getting better is a failure to relax. So just getting someone in that terrain in a relaxed state of mind is an enormous step forward. That is really step 1 to doing anything dynamic in bumps.

Drift in the bumps enough and your balance naturally gets better. You can't keep sliding in a controlled way if your fore/aft balance and ability to absorb 3D features is out of whack. Your awareness of feet, edges, balance should all improve. So if you do keep at it, you will become ready for the next level. They can teach this also, it's just not as heavily marketed since I think they rarely get first time students ready for it.

One other note specific to the Clendenin method - they have a skills assessment within the method. CM Certification. Lowest level is really just learning the terminology. Successive levels involve adopting more of the terms and being able to teach it yourself, as well as demoing skills in bumps and some 'stupid human tricks.' They use some funny words for skill demos - I asked what "Park the Car" referred to in the Black certification. It is something like a carved turn to go up hill, followed by drifting in reverse into a 180 to face downhill. Sort of a stop/go 360 that demos you have fine balance skills.

Most of what is marketed is just the entry tier student skills that are gained. I assume Bumps for Boomers has some other more advanced concepts they introduce to clients that are ready for it. So I wouldn't necessarily write off either program as being useless for more advanced skiers who already are comfortable in easier bumps and want to improve.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Thanks, @Seldomski, for that response.

I have not attended either camp, so am very interested in first hand observations. I expected all along that my online reading about Bumps for Boomers probably misled me to some inaccurate conclusions. Bumps-for-Boomers does put out a ton of information.

Clendenin has put some info online as well. He does create some doozies when he makes up terms. Here are some terms created by Clendenin for his program:

Tip and Tuck
The Love Spot
The Epiphany Pad
The High Heel
Squeegee

Sponsor

Staff online