• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Clearance Aisle Scores-Non ski related

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Everyone likes a good bargain. What are some of the deals that you found that are well past you average "half off deals"? Getting the Larson storm door at 80% off from Lowes was what got me thinking about this.

A few years back we stopped at Ikea to pick up a few things and found some 6' butcher block counter tops in the clearance area for $10.00 each. These were originally $150.00, we put as many in the TDI wagon as we could carry. I needed sheling for the garage and we cut some in half for that, made some work benches, office desks. We went back recently and they had some more and picked them up too.

Back in the 80's I stopped in a small audio store in Bethlehem and in the clearance area, they had 3 Bang & Olufsen turntables for $30 each. I grabbed one and broght it home. As I was walking into the apartment, I dropped it. It didn't break the turntable but the cover. I went back to pick up another one (and sold that one to a friend for $25). A year or so later, my ex wife left it run for days and the motor quit. I went back to the shop and the third one was still there. That one lasted me another 10 years.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A fully restored 41+/- Indian Chief, with sidecar, curtain panels, and a couple of boxes of extra parts for $1,500. This was in about 72. The kicker was shipping from the little Alaskan bush town back to Anchorage was going to be about $7,000. Missed it.

A new undrilled pair of 210? Dynastar Mv2's, the late silver ones for $15 at a Gart Brothers' SNIGRAB in 75 Mounted them with some Solomon 555 Equipe's. They liked long turns at high speed.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently ordered 3 pairs of riding gloves (mentioned in fingerless gloves thread). The total was something like $72, which is kinda cheap already at around $24/pair. The on line company also sent me some Five 10 women's MTB shoes by mistake.

I emailed them asking for an RMA, if they wanted a return of the unordered MTB shoes. They sent the RMA and a note saying an additional $10 discount would be applied to my glove order. Or so I thought. The shoes went back and the refund was applied. My total bill for the gloves order: $10.

Wow!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a chance at a pristine 356C coupe for $10k. Didn't pull the trigger. Fail Army...
Around 1974, I had a chance to buy one of these for about $1800....shoulda coulda woulda...
1589042273380.png

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I recently ordered 3 pairs of riding gloves (mentioned in fingerless gloves thread). The total was something like $72, which is kinda cheap already at around $24/pair. The on line company also sent me some Five 10 women's MTB shoes by mistake.

I emailed them asking for an RMA, if they wanted a return of the unordered MTB shoes. They sent the RMA and a note saying an additional $10 discount would be applied to my glove order. Or so I thought. The shoes went back and the refund was applied. My total bill for the gloves order: $10.

Wow!

Similar vendor mistake happened with me. i ordered 1 pair of shimano spd bike cleats from amazon ($12), i received a box with 10 packs. I didn't bother though trying to return. I just gave the other 9 away.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend of mine was a fit model for Pearl Izumi and could provide friends and family discount codes for gear from their site on occassion. I discovered that the 50% off worked on the clearance bin and got several jersey's for around $15 each and other similar deals on thermal jerseys, jackets, socks etc.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ordered two pairs of running shoes ($125 each; two different sizes) from an online vendor that had a $29-for-the-second-pair deal I just happened onto when I went to check out.
I sent back the too-small size (they had been the first into my cart at full price) and kept the second, larger pair which had fallen under the $29 deal.
Vendor refunded me the full price for the returns. Result: a pair of $125 shoes for $29.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a list of window sizes in my phone. So far, I've managed to get 5 windows and an 8' sliding door in the Home Depot or Lowe's return bin. This included 2 4x8ish and one 5x6. I figure I've about $1200 in all of them. Pretty good considering how much windows cost.

I picked up a nice pair of Danner Fort Lewis boots that retail for close to $400 at the thrift store for $18. Almost new. A couple pair of Schnee's pac boots for less than $20 each. Sleeping Indian Designs 1/4 zip wool jacket for around $20. There are, or at least were, so many great deals at thrift stores if you knew what you were looking for. Heck, I got @Philpug a pair of Fritzmeier Duos there!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I found a Jr's Cheesecake outlet store in Burlington, NJ. They sell the small cheesecakes two for $6.00 so I grabbed two.

Sponsor

Staff online