• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Classic Rock YES! ( and others..) What are you listening to right now?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Happy Birthday Linda Ronstadt 15 July.

James

Out There
Instructor
I recommend this documentary:
Sound City. About a recording studio in Van Nuys, CA where many big records were made. Went out of business. Dave Grohl bought the sound board and made the doc.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Best. Outro. Ever. I saw Yes in San Diego at the Sports Arena (Tales from Topographic Oceans Tour) and then again at the Hollywood Bowl (Relayer Tour)...

(You guys need a "claim" emoji. Seriously.)

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Believe it or not, I spent a week skiing with Jon Anderson & his wife Jane in the mid 90's. As a huge fan, it was a bit intimidating at first but turned in to a very fun time quickly.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Believe it or not, I spent a week skiing with Jon Anderson & his wife Jane in the mid 90's. As a huge fan, it was a bit intimidating at first but turned in to a very fun time quickly.
You told me that story and I am still jealous.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Some friends of mine back in the late 80s were pretty big fans. They were even following all that "harmonic convergence" hype Anderson was plugging back then. I like the music, mad respect for them as musicians, etc.. but not even in my top 10 favorite all timers.

Pretty cool to ski with Anderson and family. Only time I was ever a little starstuck on skis was senior year of high school when the Women's Pro Tour came though the little bump I taught at. They were all so beautiful! And skied off the charts!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Elton's early albums are some of my favorites, they have a slightly raw and angry undertone. Almost as if he is trying to come out and say something.

4ster

Instructor
Best. Outro. Ever. I saw Yes in San Diego at the Sports Arena (Tales from Topographic Oceans Tour) and then again at the Hollywood Bowl (Relayer Tour)...
Tales tour was the first time I saw them. It was Winterland in San Francisco & rates in my top 5 concerts of all time. When I met Jon it was one of the first things I brought up, he said he remembered that particular show because it happened to be Steve Howe's birthday.
I also saw them at the Cow Palace on the Relayer tour, in Reno a couple of times & in the round at Arco arena in Sacramento on the Union tour

You told me that story and I am still jealous.
Ski forum, Yes thread figured it was appropriate ;).

Some friends of mine back in the late 80s were pretty big fans. They were even following all that "harmonic convergence" hype Anderson was plugging back then. I like the music, mad respect for them as musicians, etc.. but not even in my top 10 favorite all timers.

Pretty cool to ski with Anderson and family. Only time I was ever a little starstuck on skis was senior year of high school when the Women's Pro Tour came though the little bump I taught at. They were all so beautiful! And skied off the charts!
Even though I have always been a big Yes fan & have spent time with a number of other well known entertainers, sports celebrities & Olympic athletes, I have to admit the most Starstruck for me was when I turned around in the lunch line at the Heavenly World Cup finals & saw a pair of beat to crap Caber boots with Ingemar Stenmark attached to them!!! I was completely tongue tied :P

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
My favorite of all, although I find it difficult to call them Classic because they are timeless & embraced by all generations...
The Mighty Zep performing the first song I ever heard off the first album!

4ster

Instructor
@quant , do you know where this is from? I saw BB&A at Winterland in 73' & this looks suspiciously familiar :huh:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Led Zep, Elton, Yes... heard so much during my college years in mid-70s that I got sick of those bands. But they sound real good again in my nostalgic geezerhood:D The Doors were a big favorite of me and my room mates back then.

I can get lost for hours surfing old and newer music on youtube. So much amazing stuff on there. Here are a pair of classic performances:
Joni Mitchell doing Big Yellow Taxi in 1970 with her incredibly supple voice. I guess she's pretty ill from 2015 brain aneurysm. Hopefully, she recovers enough to enjoy more golden years.

Neil Young doing Old Man in 1971. Fun to hear a brief comment on his inspiration for this song. I guess I am celebrating Canadian music nostalgia today??

Poddighe Power Trio, an Italian group, heavy accents and all, doing a lively little two minute cover about ten years ago of the Doors tune Break on Through. I have no idea who these guys are or even if they are they are still together, but this is representative of the all the obscure, but great stuff on youtube. So much music, so little time.:)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online