• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Classic Rock YES! ( and others..) What are you listening to right now?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw SRV open for dIRE sTRAITS on their Brothers In Arms Tour back in the 1985 at Varsity Arena in Toronto ( a rather small venue, being the hockey arena for the University of Toronto ). They did 4 nights in a row at Varsity Arena, rather than playing at a much larger venue, such as Toronto’s Exhibition Stadium. I did a road trip from Toronto to Halifax with a pal and remember on our drive home, having breakfast at a diner in Maine, and hearing of the helicopter crash that took SRV.

I am a huge Mark Knopfler fan and have seen him on his solo tours a few times, most recently this past August at the Toronto Sony Centre. I usually join an artist’s fan club and get access to pre-sale tickets. For that last Knopfler tour, I lucked out with 3rd row centre -> pretty cool being so close ! Mark tours with 11 guys in his band , all top musicians -> they’re not doing it for the money as that nightly cheque gets cut up pretty small.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw SRV open for dIRE sTRAITS on their Brothers In Arms Tour back in the 1985 at Varsity Arena in Toronto ( a rather small venue, being the hockey arena for the University of Toronto ). They did 4 nights in a row at Varsity Arena, rather than playing at a much larger venue, such as Toronto’s Exhibition Stadium. I did a road trip from Toronto to Halifax with a pal and remember on our drive home, having breakfast at a diner in Maine, and hearing of the helicopter crash that took SRV.

I am a huge Mark Knopfler fan and have seen him on his solo tours a few times, most recently this past August at the Toronto Sony Centre. I usually join an artist’s fan club and get access to pre-sale tickets. For that last Knopfler tour, I lucked out with 3rd row centre -> pretty cool being so close ! Mark tours with 11 guys in his band , all top musicians -> they’re not doing it for the money as that nightly cheque gets cut up pretty small.

OK, you seem like a pretty knowledgeable fan. Care to compare and contrast these two? I love them both, but am best considered a passionate, not-that-edumacated guitar fan.

By dumb luck, I saw DS play their (unannounced) last concert. Wow. But Mark Knopfler turned out to be a liar, because he started the concert by saying "We're Dire Straits, and we'll play as long as you want us to". After a great concert and a lousy two encores, they quit! :ogbiggrin:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Elton's early albums are some of my favorites, they have a slightly raw and angry undertone. Almost as if he is trying to come out and say something.
The early albums are the best and some of my first radio memories as a kid. Just played “ Holiday Inn” for my kids yesterday. They were..meh. I’ve been playing them music since before they could walk so there used to it- they humor me but occasionally they love something I love.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier

There is a great documentary on Knopfler and his guitars- I can’t remember the name of it but he goes back to the beginning and retraces his steps , playing the actual or same model, of every guitar he’s ever owned. Worth a look

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here'a ZZ Top Story:

Back in high-school when Eliminator came out in 1983, my brother joined the ZZ Top fan club. Joining the fan-club got him a bit of merchandise and the fan newsletter once or twice a year. However, he actually paid $100 $US to become a Life-Time Member.

The Lifetime Membership also got him a red satin jacket with the stretchy red/white cuffs and collar, big ZZ Top logo embroidered on the back, and his name embroidered of the front. Also got the ZZ key-chain of course, a set of Cheap Sunglasses, some tee shirts, the bumper sticker for "ZZ Top for President in 1984" -> do you remember Father Guido Sarducci on Saturday Night Live starting that ?

Best of All, the Life-Time membership included a pair of tickets and a pair of back-stage passes for any time ZZ Top toured, for Life ! My bro and I have seen The 'Top many times over the last 30 years, though we have missed many of their Toronto-area appearances. Last fall, Billy Gibbons did small tour at small venues and played in my home-town at our 2000 seat venue. It was just Billy G. on guitars, a lefty blues guitarist & bass player Austin Hanks, and the drummer was Matt Sorum, formerly with Guns N Roses. An enjoyable night of stripped down music !

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A few years ago, the Utah Avalanche Center used Neil’s Powderfinger as the background music in the video review of the previous season backcountry snow conditions. Very powerful and appropriate!

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is my favorite live version of one of the best songs written by David Bowie. All the Young Dudes was written for Mott the Hoople. This live version featured Ian Hunter on lead vocals, Bowie on Sax and Mick Ronson lead guitar.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I saw JJ with my ex at the Wheeler around the turn of the century. While he was playing this song, she asked me: 'Did Clapton write any of his own songs?' :)

Oh look! I just found this in a pile of photos...

200420 - JJ Cale tix.jpg

Last edited: