• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Classic Rock YES! ( and others..) What are you listening to right now?

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
^^^Bowie gave Stevie Ray Vaughn the studio time for his first couple hits in exchange for the guitar work he did on Let's Dance.

I read he was supposed to tour as Bowie's lead guitarist in 83 on the Serious Moonlight tour in support of the 'Let's Dance' LP, but also wanted to open the shows with his band. Apparently Bowie and/or his management had issues with that.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A couple of Rush anthems from when I was pretty young..Lakeside Park which we always pretended was the CNE in Toronto (was actually in Port Dalhousie..)

And 2112 Overature and Temples of Syrinx..

And of course, Working Man with the Sabbath rip-off riffs.. :)

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fire On The Mountain - Official Grateful Dead & Chris Benchetler Film

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I read he was supposed to tour as Bowie's lead guitarist in 83 on the Serious Moonlight tour in support of the 'Let's Dance' LP, but also wanted to open the shows with his band. Apparently Bowie and/or his management had issues with that.
When I saw Tab Benoit, he played drums with the opening band then did a full show playing guitar as the headliner.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well How Did We Get Here? A Brief History of Talking Heads

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Miserable day. Rush has been such an influence in my life and I nearly cried when I heard the news today that Neil has died. I was lucky enough to see them live twice, first on the Power Windows tour and again on the R40 tour. I knew they were done touring but I had been holding out hope that they might do one more studio album. Rest peacefully, Neil. You deserve it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
RIP Neil. Damn.

As a thoroughly mediocre ex-rock and roll drummer, Peart and Bonham stand alone for me.

Plenty of others, but these two inspired me over countless practice hours in the basement.

Thanks, boys!

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Nice work placing Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed so high -- that has got to be the greatest Bowie song no one has ever heard. Great writer. Quicksand. Bewlay Brothers. Cygnet Committee. Some great early stuff. Though I had calling the Hunky Dory stuff "early" -- I think that album was his masterpiece.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Nice work placing Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed so high -- that has got to be the greatest Bowie song no one has ever heard. Great writer. Quicksand. Bewlay Brothers. Cygnet Committee. Some great early stuff. Though I had calling the Hunky Dory stuff "early" -- I think that album was his masterpiece.
Panic in Detroit! Probably the first Bowie song I ever heard and maybe my favorite…

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Thought I’d come on here and find some like-minded folks putting their thoughts down about Neil Peart.

Nothing really to add except I’m saddened by the loss of one of my heroes

He definitely deserved better.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Definitely a bummer to hear about Peart's passing. 2112 was practically life changing when I first listened to that album. Moving Pictures became one of my all time faves. Being a guitarist, of course I gravitated more to Alex Lifeson, but the band I ended up in during my "break" from college was started by a Neil Peart fanatic. So learning Rush covers became my goal in life for a couple years. I wish I could say that my fingers could still move fast enough, but Rush will always be on my playlist.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steely Dan live at Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, CA 1993

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I subscribed to Beat-Club. So this showed up in my inbox. Never heard of them, but I liked it.

And that led into this...

Rock on!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Which led to...

Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer and Ringo. Turn it up!

You may notice that the lyrics have changed since RD found a new way to live his life. I'll let you Google that if you are interested.

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
A couple of my favs from my long-hair head-banging daze. Some of the most ripping guitar ever starts at 2:35. No pedals, no hocus-pokus, just pure skill.
40 years later and I'm still blown away by the SG monster himself. Crank it up!!

If that's too much for ya, try this, it always puts me in a good mood.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer and Ringo. Turn it up
I saw Edgar Winter a few years ago front row at the South Shore Room at Harrah's in Stateline NV. Still playing keyboards, sax, drums & scatting as well as ever!
Edgar Winter 035.JPG

& my favorite version...

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I heard a different story. The one I heard was that Rather than tour with Bowie for $500 a week SRV decided to make his own record.

Either way he made the right choice.

Sponsor