• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Classic Rock YES! ( and others..) What are you listening to right now?

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
There is an unsung rockabilly guitar god from my native Virginia that I really enjoy listening to from time to time. His name is Cliff Gallup (1930-1988). He's primarily known for a rather small catalog of 35 tunes he played lead guitar on during a short recording career with Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps in 1956 and 1957.
The song Catman features some of his stunning early rockabilly guitar work. The accompanying video features a stunning young pin-up gal:

Ha! What a ride. That was some great rockabilly. Think I'll add that. Betty Page had a nice home with that accompaniment.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
By popular demand, a nice rockabilly cover from our friends in the UK:

It says video unavailable? Too bad because I love Jeff Beck, I love rockabilly, I love when Jeff Beck does rockabilly!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It says video unavailable? Too bad because I love Jeff Beck, I love rockabilly, I love when Jeff Beck does rockabilly!
Hmmm. Works for me. Maybe try again? Or try this for a 22 minute set:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If you are a Jeff Beck fan do you know one of the first ones I purchased on 45 "Hi Ho Silver Lining" and the flip side "Becks Bolero" as in Ravel's classic but on electric guitar.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
TK Smith threw down some mad Gallup when we cut this in '91:

TalkativeMarvelousIsabellineshrike-size_restricted.gif

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
If you are a Jeff Beck fan do you know one of the first ones I purchased on 45 "Hi Ho Silver Lining" and the flip side "Becks Bolero" as in Ravel's classic but on electric guitar.
I know them well, with Beck‘s Bolero being one of my absolute favorites of all time. Written (some would say plagiarized) by my favorite of all time Jimmy Page, who also plays on the original with Keith Moon on drums. During the many Jeff Beck shows I have attended over the decades I always screamed out ”Beck’s Bolero” but never got to hear him play it live

Hi Ho Silver Lining was one of the few songs that Jeff actually sings on, along with Taliman and Black Cat Moan

The last time I saw Jeff was up close.
DE0DE40C-4F38-41DC-B18F-413BFB1DEF2F.jpeg

& a rare tribute to Les Paul
CAFC7D73-E025-46C0-B032-D779EA02F9A9.jpeg

Last edited:

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Shaved Fish -- good best-of album from Lennon's own lifetime -- truth be told, probably put his solo body of work in its best light (I find Plastic Ono Band ((primal screams!)) very dated, and a little too much filler on Imagine). Shaved Fish also had the benefit of including "Happy Xmas" (not on a previous album), which I haven't grown tired of to this day. Sadly, I don't think very much of his original output spanning 1970 - 1974, and in 1980, ever gave us a great hint of the hand that wrote "I Am The Walrus" or "A Day In The Life" -- but it would have revealed itself sooner or later.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to queue up plenty of Rush on my road trip to Killington this weekend.
RIP drummer Niel Peart who passed away earlier this week, succumbing to brain cancer.

neil3.jpg

neil2.jpg

neil.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Went out like his first wife. Thinking he had a premonition when he decided to quit touring after 2015 and spend more time with his 2nd family. Definitely my biggest musical influence. Thanks for all those great drum tracks and lyrics. Rush fan forever!

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Not to steal the thunder from the loss of one of the greatest drummers of the modern era, but today marks the 4th anniversary of Bowie's passing as well.

In case anyone wants a comprehensive playlist of the man's works, here's one I compiled back in 4/18 to act as a soundtrack for our weekend in Brooklyn, viewing the "Bowie Is" exhibition:

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^Bowie gave Stevie Ray Vaughn the studio time for his first couple hits in exchange for the guitar work he did on Let's Dance.

Sponsor

Staff online