• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Beautiful area but those mountains can be a little snow challenged. So there's no actual chair lift? I doubt there is much in the way of snow making, that might make it a tough sell.

It would be a cool place to be a snow safety director or patroler. I bet they would get plenty of fresh tracks days after a good storm.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
No lift, just cats. But it sounds like they're envisioning a max of around 100 people at a time, so cats shouldn't be so bad. They've got lakes and ponds, so limited snowmaking shouldn't be too hard if members want to spend the money. But those who want to stay there and ski a WROD could just do the drive to Telluride or Crested Butte and use their WRODs.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whatever the Cimarron Mountain Private Ski Area is, it isn't a ski area in my way of thinking. You can't ski there unless you've got a huge, really huge, amount of disposable income. You don't get to ski with those who live to ski, ski to live, and really have to work one way or another to get onto the slopes. Nothing against rich folks, but that's who it's for primarily, not for skiers. It employees a few servants, but nowhere near the numbers of workers a real ski area needs. There isn't to my knowledge a ski school, or a ski patrol, or even a parking lot to complain about. I'm no fan of the Yellowstone Club (worked at Big Sky when the YC first arrived on the scene), but it has employed people and has put money into the local economy, something the scale of the Cimarron Mountain operation isn't liable to do. Good luck to them though.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
No lift, just cats. But it sounds like they're envisioning a max of around 100 people at a time, so cats shouldn't be so bad. They've got lakes and ponds, so limited snowmaking shouldn't be too hard if members want to spend the money. But those who want to stay there and ski a WROD could just do the drive to Telluride or Crested Butte and use their WRODs.

Yeah but as you know, the four corners can have dry periods in the winter that last months. It’s gonna be hard keeping their investors happy without quality snowmaking and grooming. The San Juan’s have a very different climate pattern than the Yellowstone region. Rotten sun f-d snow just blows. I’m not sure that their current model is very sustainable but I’m just a ski bum, not a business guy but you would think the folks that founded a place like the hermitage club would have done better homework before suckering people into that sh$t show.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm thinking if you've got $2.5 mil to dump into a ski membership, you're well aware of what you're getting and just don't give a crap. I have friends who have a $2 mil cottage they use 3 weekends a year..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 53763 ^^^^^^ It’s called “Idaho,” especially mid-week. This is Brundage. Seriously, you don’t need an exclusive cat-skiing resort to have a slope to yourself, top to bottom.

Heck, I took this picture mid-week in the middle of a Gathering... this is Snowmass... you can see a couple of thousand vertical feet here, and only 1 other skier.

Aspen Gathering 020916 144 ACR Conv.jpg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
No grass in Idaho...:duck:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
photoshopped? you think?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Grass in ID.

DSC_2421.JPG

Although not the stain to which I thought you were referring.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
ha ha! actually, that type hadn't crossed my mind...getting old, i guess

Sponsor