• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cigars

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone know a thing or two about cigars?

Need ideas on what high end cigars to get someone as a gift. About $100-150 budget.

Thanks

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love a good cigar, but they're similar to skis and saxophones in that what's good is a very personal thing. Do you know what the receiver likes?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree it's personal but if I had no knowledge and had to choose I'd go with Padron Anniversary. With a budget like that I'd choose a variety of sizes and types.

Most afficianados would consider that a damn fine gift.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree it's personal but if I had no knowledge and had to choose I'd go with Padron Anniversary. With a budget like that I'd choose a variety of sizes and types.

Most afficianados would consider that a damn fine gift.

Thanks - It's a "business" gift. I was going to get him a nice tie but he said he was not "into ties" and that he liked cigars.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks - It's a "business" gift. I was going to get him a nice tie but he said he was not "into ties" and that he liked cigars.
I'm trying to picture a cigar guy regifting those and I can't. If he doesn't like them blame me.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My current favorite is a Casa Magna Colorado, they're full-bodied and spicy. On the other hands I've gifted Montecristo White Series sticks a few times, they have a mild creamy profile and I've gotten good responses from them - they're a pretty good morning smoke with a tall latte'.

For some reason Padrons don't do much for me, but if I got some as a gift I would gladly accept them and would definitely appreciate the thought!

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
When I still indulged , the
Fuente Fuente Opus X double robusto
Was a favorite

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I try to limit myself to a couple a month but I do love ‘em. Mostly Padron Anniversaries but also Cohiba and Romeo y Julieta Cubanos with a few Opus and rare Cubanos as well.

8D52259F-FD97-4466-801F-DBD8822B2564.jpeg

BEB5FCD1-7458-4977-B419-12B0F717727A.jpeg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A non cigar smoker choosing cigars for someone who does smoke, is on par with a layman choosing skis for you. Maybe a nice butane lighter, cutter or a GC to a good cigar bar.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A non cigar smoker choosing cigars for someone who does smoke, is on par with a layman choosing skis for you. Maybe a nice butane lighter, cutter or a GC to a good cigar bar.
Although they're consulting with cigar smokers. I think you're ok going with just a few premium cigars. If the guy has a humidor, he probably has friends who smoke, having a few different high enders is nice for sharing, even if it's not their favorite. So maybe a combination of a few of cigars and accessories. Agree that getting 10+ cigars you're not crazy about isn't the best thing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Although they're consulting with cigar smokers. I think you're ok going with just a few premium cigars. If the guy has a humidor, he probably has friends who smoke, having a few different high enders is nice for sharing, even if it's not their favorite. So maybe a combination of a few of cigars and accessories. Agree that getting 10+ cigars you're not crazy about isn't the best thing.
You are probably right. Personally I am not a fan of Cubans, Dominicans are much smoother.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are probably right. Personally I am not a fan of Cubans, Dominicans are much smoother.
Agree with that. Those Anniversaries are like chocolate raspberry cake. They used to be difficult to get but now you can walk into any store.

But that’s why I didn’t suggest Cohibas even though I like them.

If the guy asked for cigars without specifying hopefully he’s open to different possibilities.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to disagree with this. The Partagas Serie D No 4 and the H. Upman Corona Major are both very smooth, much smoother than a lot of Dominicans. One thing I've noticed in most of the Cubans I've had (which isn't that many yet) is a light citrusy herbaceousness that I've never tasted in any non-Cuban.

When I was in Mexico a few weeks ago (Cozumel and Costa Maya) there were NO real Cubans available except at the La Casa Del Habano; every single stick I saw at any other location was a fake.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Used to be into it.
No mas.
Loved the taste during the smoke.
Hated the aftermath.
Go to smokes:
Every day smoke - Nat Sherman (can’t even remember)
When available - Opus X

Don’t miss them much.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks -

Ended up getting a box of 25 Montecristo Robusto Natural (5 x 50)

Sponsor

Staff online