• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choosing type of mtn bike for beginner rider

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Kimmy - where do you live? How old is your child?

I say HT all the way. We have rocky trails and 300 milers of trail within 30 miles of town. I have S-Works HT (29 x 2) and FS (29 x 2.3), and most days ride the HT. Ned Overend swears by FS. Todd Wells mostly rides HT. Can't argue with either of those guys.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Kim, you said you've decided, right?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kimmy - where do you live? How old is your child?

I say HT all the way. We have rocky trails and 300 milers of trail within 30 miles of town. I have S-Works HT (29 x 2) and FS (29 x 2.3), and most days ride the HT. Ned Overend swears by FS. Todd Wells mostly rides HT. Can't argue with either of those guys.

Mild derail, since she's chosen a bike, but I agree about Ned Overend. He is the Wayne Gretzky of mtb racing!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@kimmyt , buy it if you haven't already! That's a fantastic deal on a bike that is perfect for trails east of highway 93/the hogback and gravel trails. Note that's where we can ride through the winter, so even if you eventually get an FS bike, having an inexpensive HT like that is nice to have to avoid putting junk miles on your suspension.

With the wider 2.8 tires, that bike is adequate for trails to the west 93/the hogback and Moab/Fruita since it will be a softer ride than the typical hardtail. It's also fine for riding with kiddos and around town where anything would do. Buy it!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I agree about Ned Overend. He is the Wayne Gretzky of mtb racing!

I'm not sure that pro racer experiences are terribly relevant to people starting out or casual riders, though.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'm not sure that pro racer experiences are terribly relevant to people starting out or casual riders, though.

My comment was meant to point out that two of the more dominant people in XC choose different tools. I, personally, like the crispness of a HT. YMMV.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My comment was meant to point out that two of the more dominant people in XC choose different tools. I, personally, like the crispness of a HT. YMMV.

Yes, I understood that - that's why I was responding to @Tom K. and not to you :)

TS
kimmyt

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Yep, it's pretty much decided right now. I just haven't purchased. Thanks for the confirmation of what I suspected!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yep, it's pretty much decided right now. I just haven't purchased. Thanks for the confirmation of what I suspected!

Buy it and we can ride bikes at VBP next weekend?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Agreed. That's why I noted it was a mild derail, since the OP had apparently made a bike decision....

TS
kimmyt

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Buy it and we can ride bikes at VBP next weekend?

I don't kow that I will get it that soon! but definitely within a month. Will let you know (and you know as soon as I buy it it will start snowing so I guess sooner is better than later)

BLT

BethL
Skier
I do not post often, but I just looked at the forum this season for kid's ski recommendations. I'll post on that separately. Back to kimmyt's question...

I live in Boulder and went through the same decision making process just over 7 years ago when my kids started riding beyond the neighborhood streets. Before that, I was just a road biker. I initially bought a lower end hardtail. I should have spent a little more on the first MTB. After a year or so, I upgraded to a slightly higher end hardtail which was great. I definitely recommend a hardtail. The Valmont bike park is great for kids and adults - really good for skill work.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I don't kow that I will get it that soon! but definitely within a month. Will let you know (and you know as soon as I buy it it will start snowing so I guess sooner is better than later)

I was also hoping that buying a new bike would make it snow, but it's not really working so far. Who else can we get to buy a new bike? How many new bikes will it take???

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I was also hoping that buying a new bike would make it snow, but it's not really working so far. Who else can we get to buy a new bike? How many new bikes will it take???

Who wants to buy my downhill bike? <kidding. sort of. not really!> . Actually at this point it's "make me an offer - almost free to good home"

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm in. I bought my new bike for next season. Now bring on the snow!

IMG_0792.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online