• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choosing the correct poles

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Did you still do tip rolls with them?

Some people found those injury producing.
The platform was actually good for planting. Having the thumb :thumb: sticking up and on the top of the grip instead of tucked in to the fingers of your fist resulted in the thumb sticking in to the snow and getting bent backwards when touching down/falling down and reaching out. Any good martial arts or boxing instructor will tell you to keep your thumb out of the way flush against the fingers mid between knuckles to prevent thumb injuries.

People I know that used them for ballet cut the top half loop off. You cup the top of the pole in your palm (facing down) for tip rolls, pole flips, and launching for spins/axles, etc..

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I think it less safe to not use straps and have to swing your whole upper body to pole touch.

Why not make a releasable strap like these???

https://www.cripplecreekbc.com/prod...=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=22546153284

BTW I d go so far to say I have never seen a good skier who is holding their poles with out a strap.

all you need to do is hold the pole with your index and thumb and release the other fingers and let the pole swing forward and re-clasp on the plant. this works just fine and keeps contact with the pole.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Did you still do tip rolls with them?

Some people found those injury producing.

Like this.
tip_roll1.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Effective pole use requires that you be able to relax your hand and arm fully when not actively planting / pushing on the pole. I.e. during the recovery phase. The pole tip obviously has to swing in an arc around a hinge point at your hand, which may move only a very short distance if at all. One main purpose of a strap is to realize that hinge point under a RELAXED hand.

Case in point. ( Note: circle is meant to call attention to my hands, not my butt. :rolleyes: )

LoafXCDetail.jpg

Sponsor