• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choice of skis for steep spring skiing

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
Which of the following skis would you pick to ski Tuckerman Ravine type terrain in the spring, i.e. snow going through freeze, thaw cycles.
Mantra m5 184
Mantra 2010 version, no rocker, just camber. 184
Head Monster 108 184 basically no rocker, a little early tip rise and squared off tail.
Kastle BMX 115 185
Head Rock and Roll 187
Movement Goliath 191
Terrain would include both cirque exposures, chutes, and couloirs. Snow conditions would run the gamut from corn to mank.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know anything about those skis, but I would take ski weight into consideration if you're really skiing Tux (and not something Tux-like) and plan on carrying skis.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for the M5.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah M5 . Pretty versatile for turn types and power only when wanted.

Unless you're like totally in sync with the 2010 Mantra and just want to slay with it. (If maybe you're in like a < 30 demographic)
Isn't it heavier though? By this time it's probably a little less agressive.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Which of the following skis would you pick to ski Tuckerman Ravine type terrain in the spring, i.e. snow going through freeze, thaw cycles.
Mantra m5 184
Mantra 2010 version, no rocker, just camber. 184
Head Monster 108 184 basically no rocker, a little early tip rise and squared off tail.
Kastle BMX 115 185
Head Rock and Roll 187
Movement Goliath 191
Terrain would include both cirque exposures, chutes, and couloirs. Snow conditions would run the gamut from corn to mank.

Something lighter if you can but from the list the M5 no question

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From that list I concur, the M5.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
From that list I concur, the M5.

This is Phil's polite way of saying that the list isn't very good. Are these your current skis, and you want to know which will be best? I'd go with the Head Rock & Roll, but I would want to know what is on any of them for bindings. The Movement Goliath would be my second (or first if the conditions are going to be softer).

Sponsor

Staff online