• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chinese goggles

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I don't know about goggles, but there are other items where cheap items and expensive items come out of the "same factory". But that doesn't mean the cheap items are built to the same standard, go through the same quality control, have the same tooling/refinement, etc. This isn't any different than when cheap electronics brands (or at least the salesmen who sold them) would claim something like "it's an unknown brand, but it has Sony guts".
I once worked in a factory of a well-known brand that was known for their top-end stuff, high price and best quality control. They also made "seconds" without their brand name on the seconds. The seconds went through the same quality control tests; they just didn't pass them. They weren't bad enough to scrap and recycle the material, just not good enough to wear the brand. Rich people didn't get that way by not valuing their money (except for the ones who inherited their money and are losing it). There's a reason they pay good money for top end stuff.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I got Outdoormasters goggles. Three different lenses. There was a promo code that brought the price down to $20 each which is completely bonkers. Totally love them so far. Took a lens to optometrist to test for UV protection: 100% protection.
There is a long thread about them on tgr forum. People seem to be happy with customer service too

Also, isn’t all goggles are Chinese these days?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not really... most of them are Italian
Do you know what companies make them? Is it like with Luxottica and sunglasses, where they make a lot of the major brands glasses for them? Or is a bunch of different manufacturers?

(And per their website, Luxottica has "six manufacturing facilities located in Italy, three facilities in China, one in Brazil and one facility in the United States devoted to sports and performance eyewear. Luxottica also has two small plants in Japan and India serving the local market.")

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not like with Luxottica it is Luxottica :D
:thumb: I thought it might be... but their website mentions all the sunglass brands and stores, and doesn't mention anything about ski goggle brands that I could see.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Part of the reason that Smith, Anon, Giro, Oakley goggles cost more is of course the branding effect (think YSL handbags). But another important component of the price is to recoup the cost to these companies of the R&D to innovate and improve their products: mag attach, chromo-pop lenses, etc. Many of these innovations likely are patented or otherwise protected, but as we've all read, the IP protection is often ignored by Chinese companies.
Totally agree with the lack of ip protection in China.

But it's pretty stupid to patent features on goggles.

And there's no way Oakley goggles are with over $200

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And there's no way Oakley goggles are with over $200
Well, they're "worth" whatever people are willing to pay and actually do pay. They could be overpriced in comparison to other products, based on what about them you assign value to... but that's not nearly the same for everyone. I tend to lean away from brands that people appear to be willing to pay for the name on in most cases, but not all. Sometimes I value the brand name too.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
:thumb: I thought it might be... but their website mentions all the sunglass brands and stores, and doesn't mention anything about ski goggle brands that I could see.
On their web are just brands that they own, not brands that they make products for. I don't know currently, but some 3 or 4 years ago, for example Shred was done in their factories. Several other brands not owned by Luxottica were also. No idea what's current situation though.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
If there are goggles out there that aren't garbage, or at least priced accordingly to their durability, I'm very interested. I had some Zeal goggles for 10 years that were pretty good, but became scratched from so many years of wear. I am trying to replace them, but having problems doing so.

I bought some Anon M2 from another person off this site a year ago, but have learned why they were for sale. The lenses are total garbage. They are exceedingly fragile - the coating does not handle anything approaching my normal wear and tear. I fell in some powder and the lens was complete trash after. Touch the lens with anything, and its ruined. And yes, I was careful with them. At $75 per lens, they should last much longer. Really nice goggles otherwise, except for the fact the lenses are essentially disposable.

Recently I bought some Uvex. The coating on these is more durable than Anon (which was a pretty low bar). But, there is already blistering in the coating after only 2 months (~10 days on mountain).

I guess I'll try the cheapo ones on Amazon next...

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
FWIW the bigger brands Chinese goggles on Taobao advertise Italian made lens, so they probably all buy from that maker anyway. Maybe not the $20 ones though.

Sponsor

Staff online