• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada China Peak and Dodge Ridge bought out

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier

News story today on China Peak and Dodge Ridge in the Sierra Nevada, bought out while maintaining same management and employees. Skied China Peak once decades ago. Main issues are lack of snow many winters due to being far south in the range where storms visit less, balmy elevation, modest verticals.
Trail map:

Topo:
ChinaPeak_topomap.jpg

Occasionally ski Dodge Ridge on deep fresh days with low snow levels. Also at balmy elevations so better after low snow levels much like Homewood. Lots of SJ Valley snow boarders. Highway SR108 and small entrance road can be unpleasant in winter. The trail layout on its west side is awkward, complex beside tall conifers. For a tree powder skier there are numbers of awkward to reach fall lines few others will notice. Runs off the lift 7 on the steeper north side of the mountain given enough base will be much more interesting to advanced skiers.
Trail map:

Topo:

DodgeRidge_topomap.jpg

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dodge Ridge: New owners took away all SaveMart discounts tickets. No weekday only season pass either.
Full pass $899
Dodge is the Never-Ever resort of choice for the BA. That includes driving in mountains first time! Chain control for the 15 miles from LongBarn is a very slow snake, especially behind mini van with chains. The road if fairly flat though. Boarders out number the skiers.
That being said, I have gone there on a big pow day instead Tahoe and had a great time(except for following the mini vans). I have also gone off piste are far as you can go and still be inbounds, untracked and not a sole around, this in normal.
Went there last season midweek to test out my repaired knee. Perfect for that. Probably 20 cars in the parking lot.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
The purchasers are the longtime owners/operators of Mountain High in Southern California, which also does a lot of first-time business and makes the most of very low snowfall/limited water for snowmaking. Mountain High, China Peak, and Dodge Ridge have a lot of similarities so pooling expertise might be beneficial. And pooling resources for rotating capital expenditures might be helpful--among them, they have a very old lift fleet. But I doubt this news will mean huge changes in the near term for any of them.

Sponsor