• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Good news. I didn’t get pulled over at Buenos Aires airport by Argentinian security. That means I’m starting to get the hang of packing, not carrying on my collapsible ski poles like last year. Or, they don’t care as much if I’m transiting onto a Chilean airliner as they do if I’m transiting to a domestic Argentinian airliner; no love lost, you know. Anyway, I’m not going to miss my connecting flight.

That flight takes me to Santiago, first time ever. Tomorrow, I take a flight to Osorno, to meet up with the guide and other members of the tour, for a tour of Chilean volcanos and hot springs. But, before then, I get one evening in Santiago and I know what I’m going to do with it, visit and dine at Mercado Central.

“Mercado Central, ...while it offers produce and souvenirs, it’s known among locals and tourists alike for one main thing: the fish.”
https://santiagochile.com/mercado-central/

I am looking forward to having ceviche and, hopefully, my pick of a cut of Chilean Sea Bass, though it’s not bass. “The Chileans were the first to market toothfish commercially in the United States, earning it the name Chilean sea bass, although it is really not a bass and it is not always caught in Chilean waters.”
http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/wp-co...a/planet3/PDFs/chilean-sea-bass-factsheet.pdf

Ok, ok, so maybe I shouldn’t.

“Unless people stop eating Chilean sea bass, it may be commercially extinct within five years.”

But, five years, that doesn’t leave me much time! I’ll try my best to select from a sustainable source, but, sorry, no promises.

Boarding soon. Looking forward to dinner later this evening.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
When in Chile, do not order Chilean Sea Bass

It took 1-1/2 hours to clear immigration and customs, then to exchange a bit of cash, then hire a taxi. But, I made it in the nick of time. By 5 PM at Mercado Central, stalls selling fresh fish are shutting down. So are the restaurants. No Chilean Sea Bass seen anywhere, not at the stalls, not at the restaurants. Merluza (Hake) can be found in abundance at either, but not Merluza Negra. What the heck?

I haven’t had lunch. So, I settle in at El Galleon, whose restaurant in Mercado Central has shut down. But, they walk me down a ways, along the market, to their street-side restaurant, which is open. Here I am, having enjoying a delightful dinner. And, while doing so, I look up Chilean Sea Bass in Santiago. To my chagrin, it’s not served in Chile,

https://homeresource.com/blogs/news/when-in-chile-do-not-order-chilean-sea-bass

For dinner, I start with a reineta ceviche, a fish that is “endemic”, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brama_australis, which, to me, means what the locals enjoy. I forgot to take a photo, but here,

https://www.gourmet.cl/recetas/ceviche-de-reineta/

After, I have oysters on half shell. That was a mistake. Very, very salty oysters. Surprising though, when presented. Small. Looked like I was served clams.

For a main course, I decide on sole, concato style, which according to Kraft

https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/recipe/110665/red-snapper-cancato-style-chorizo-tomato-salsa

is whole grilled fish with a chorizo tomato salsa. What I got instead was a casserole of sole, shrimp, scallops, crab, and oysters with melted cheese, albeit not Kraft cheese. I’m going to assume I got the real cancato style.

WP_20190928_18_38_04_Pro.jpg

One taste of the crab convinced me that, next time, I have to order crab.

Here are the goods at one stall,

WP_20190928_17_14_24_Pro.jpg

and some beautiful corvina, sea bass that real Chileans consume,

WP_20190928_17_17_54_Pro.jpg

the dorado looks awesome too.

Now that the Chilean Sea Bass thing has been put to rest, time to find out what real Chilean cuisine is.

https://www.trekkingchile.com/en/chile-info/chilean-cuisine/dishes/

I am now on the look out for dried horse meat, abalone, and chicken-in-mud.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kraft/Heinz - the definitive authority when it comes to fine cuisine. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Shudda check with Betty Crocker instead.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It's 9:45 and things are winding down and I'm hanging out at the roof top lounge at my hotel, downing an Italian Actifed and an American Airborne fizzy tablet for my head cold. Outside, things started winding down about 9, 9:30, but not before I had a chance to discover the Saturday night street scene at Jose Victorino Lastarria Street, around the corner of my hotel. Here's the scene as I left, not so busy,

WP_20190928_21_20_45_Pro (2).jpg

When I came upon it, about 8(?), on the way back from Mercado Central, it was packed. Outdoor stands selling art and jewelry, indoor markets selling art, soaps and perfumes, clothes, shoes. And lots of restaurants, all packed. I passed young couples nuzzling, like brushing noses, not heavy necking. I got passed and nudged aside by pedestrians that included a stout, unleashed dog with no owner in sight. And, there were a couple of wine bars.

The wine bar I entered is in the lobby of Hotel Cumbres, which looks like a great hotel, one that gets great reviews,

https://www.booking.com/hotel/cl/cumbres-lastarria.en-gb.html

With the accompaniment of a jazz guitarist and pianist,

wp_ss_20190928_0002 (2).png

I had a Carménére, not because I knew, but because I asked. Turns out that's a red wine that Chile is known for, after the variety was next to wiped out in France. Here's the shortcut,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carménère

I had the 2015 Antiyal,

https://www.princetoncorkscrew.com/wines/2016-Antiyal-Pura-Fe-w084226874

That nicely capped-off the evening. Too bad the last thing I'll (un)-savor is the Airborne seltzer.

Speaking of savor..., can't forget the macchiato. The espresso was fine. But, it was the milk. It wasn't just creamy. It was flavorful. Maybe fresh, unpasteurized milk? I didn't ask. The shop is on Merced, called Bloom's.

WP_20190928_21_22_04_Pro (2).jpg

Looks like I have to rise much earlier than I hoped for, for an 11 AM flight. The concierge advises that it is suggested that passengers arrive 3 hours before departure. Apparently, the police checkpoint (aka immigration for international travellers) is the same for domestic travel. I.e., long, slow lines. He says 2-1/2 hrs should be enough; we'll see.

Oh, one other tidbit. The concierge wondered where I'm going skiing. He's glad to hear I'm headed South. His snowboarder friend buys season tickets for a Santiago area resort. Portillo?, Chillan?, didn't ask. The winter was so bad, his friend went to the resort twice. That's pretty bad. Heading south and thinking snow. Well, at least ice.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Doesn’t look like it will be ice.

The bad news is, I woke up to an email announcing a 5-1/2 hr flight delay. Hanging out at the airport. Maybe I’ll book another flight, if the one other client on the same flight is willing. Waiting to hear. No point if we don’t both do it. Good news is, the Sky Airline desk says I can get a refund on account of the delay.

We fly to Osorno, get picked up by our guide, then drive an hour away. Where, I don’t know. But, with some time on my hands, I do some looking.

F14BA541-E511-4160-BCFB-2ED9E48488D6.png

That’s for the Volcán Osorno resort. 8-inches forecasted today, 10-inches tomorrow. The bad news is 20 mph winds, and that’s at 5775ft, the top of the resort. Don’t know what volcano we’ll be at, but I recall it’s peak is about 3000m. Could be brutal. And I didn’t bring my heated socks, nor my heaviest gloves. I can double up on sock and glove liners though. If I have a choice, I wouldn’t mind the first day being a warmup day at the resort and at lower elevation, and where one can retreat to shelter if need be. We’ll see.

Rest of the week looks good. Light winds, 30-40F at that 5775ft, until things start blowing again over the weekend.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Looking at the forecast for Volcan Osorno was a good estimate of what to expect. As it turns out, we will be headed to Volcan Casablanca tomorrow morning and conditions are forecasted to be just as good.

wp_ss_20190929_0002.png

Whatever fell during the day, plus 7 overnight, plus another 8 tomorrow. Winds 15 mph. The thing is, as the guide explains, it is very difficult to navigate a volcano in bad visibility, from heavy snow, wind blown snow, low clouds, whatever, and dangerous to ski. We will do what we can. It's our first day, so its just a warm up day.

Today, we traveled by air from Santiago to Osorno, then drove an hour east to Lake Puyehue, where we stay at a lakeside lodge. Here's a map showing Santiago, Osorno, where we are staying (the target), and Casablanca (the balloon) which is close to the border with Argentina.

wp_ss_20190929_0003.png

Over 9 days, we make our way up to Temuco, where we catch a flight home, via Santiago or Buenos Aires.

The next map zooms in. One can also see Volcan Osorno.

wp_ss_20190929_0004.png

Looking forward to our first day out tomorrow

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Ceylon Tea: “ bold, full, and brisk. It has medium-to-full tannins and some notes of citrus, chocolate, or spice.”
https://www.thespruceeats.com/ceylon-tea-sri-lankan-tea-765685#what-does-ceylon-tea-taste-like

Nice day of skiing. Visibility was very poor with snow and clouds. A bit of wind. Hence, we stayed low and did not ascend Volcán Casablanca, which we will attempt tomorrow, weather permitting.

We ended up skinning up and skiing down the Antillanca resort. It had snowed heavily yesterday and last night onto an excellent base. The snow was very compacted, which was fine by me as I’m on 85 waisted skis, having planned on Spring conditions. It’s all above tree line, so tough when visibility is poor. Luckily, the slopes are consistent in grade. No surprise dips and rises.

We did two 500 meter (~1500 ft) laps. The first one, at the top, where it was windy, I was quite cold, because I failed to remove a layer earlier and got sweaty. To warm up, I dig into my pack for my thermos which contained freshly brewed Ceylon tea. So nice to feel the warmth of it. But, as I sought to savor the taste, to my surprise, it had a seemingly chocolate flavor. I took another sip and focused on the flavor. Definitely chocolate, more than a note, a crescendo, triggering a cascade of thoughts. What did I put in the thermos last? Didn’t I wash it out? I only put tea in it. Anyway, no time to dwell further. We’re transitioning to ski-mode and I’ve got to keep up.

We skied down in white-out conditions. Luckily, I could see what our guide was contending. Plus, keeping close to the non-operating (resort closed)T-bar helped as a visual reference. Lower down, visibility got better and the pitch got steeper, which nicely overcame the friction of the heavy snow.

At the bottom, we have lunch and I have more time to contemplate my tea. I notice that there’s a muddy stain on the Theresa’s and in the cap-serving-as-cup. Tea stains, but no way like that, I think. Good conversation overtakes my dwelling on the puzzle, then we’re off for our second lap.

Skinning up is a peaceful experience. There’s a rhythm and one just gets lost in it. The mind is freed and random thoughts come and go... ‘It must have been so nice, my son spending a few weeks in Alaska’, ‘wilderness’, ‘hiking’, ‘kayaking’.... uh, uh... ‘with the thermos I lent him!’ Lights on! 16-year old...hot chocolate?...omg, that’s it!

The day ended very nicely, in a cabin with a hot tub outside. Dinner was delicious Merluza, not Merluza Negra :). Skins and clothes are hung to dry and I’m in a comfortable bed. The thermos has been thoroughly washed with steaming water; the stains on the threads have been scrubbed off. Should be a great day tomorrow.

Here’s a photo from the bottom of Antillanca resort at the end of our day, from the parking lot. Can’t see the top, nor the volcano. Low cloud cover beginning to break and blue sky beginning to appear. Crossing our fingers.
94E7F453-0118-4266-8E84-C7FC7D93B1FE.jpeg

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
What a difference a day makes.

Today, we returned to Antillanca resort, with the intention to ascend Casablanca Volcano because the forecast was for the weather to clear by 11. It had snowed heavily the night before.

Here’s the road going up this morning.

D85136A9-D0B7-4DB8-81DE-A524047499C7.jpeg

This is what it was like going down yesterday, albeit somewhat lower elevation. But, you get the picture.

8964831E-7B12-469B-9E4C-63BEC40BB1AD.jpeg

We arrived at the resort to this,

E5EC1FBD-D2C7-401D-A7CA-9811E1B4C7DD.jpeg

Same view as the end-of-day photo in the last post. What a difference a day makes. We’re crossing our fingers that the forecast is correct, as we head up.

E1097158-3EEC-440C-992C-CB691C03367C.jpeg

Further up, it’s hopeful,

A92840F4-626C-4330-A5C3-D503F6C5F461.jpeg

When we get to the top of the resort, we continue to be hopeful and ascend to a point where we can view the volcano.

E130BAE1-D356-4784-AC96-FA297404841A.jpeg

Looking closely at the tallest peak, one can see another behind it, one that is conical. As it turns out, both peaks are the same elevation and are two features of the same volcano. Later, on our transfer to the next hotel, we look into it further. Here’s a photo of the volcano with very roughly our route.

4B7ED829-CD0E-4EB1-8472-CE4E15C5D291.jpeg
https://www.andeshandbook.org/montanismo/ruta/163/Normal_por_Antillanca_y_crater_Rayhuen

Here’s a winter view from about the same vantage point

C53C86E8-8D6F-4BC1-ACDB-87F248ED1574.jpeg
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-volcan-casablanca-in-chile-region-de-los-lagos-33966861.html

At the top, we transition,

F135434E-80F4-4458-91D5-CD1364B22A3F.jpeg

The view there is imperfect,

41DDF560-9488-44A3-B2D3-1A46017C6ABC.jpeg

E7704287-9135-4BCB-9807-3C1017EB5584.jpeg

But much better as we descend,

742FD8C8-4D63-4C97-93E1-BEA463B8394E.jpeg

00E012FE-3143-4CEF-8900-1E139BBF7D82.jpeg

By the time we get to the bottom, it’s gorgeous. Same view as this morning,

9517AF9D-220B-4B3B-A549-EC8F49F4DB17.jpeg

Pan left, there is an untouched face that I am salivating over.

DE455889-64B8-4930-ACF3-A88E60E70761.jpeg

Unfortunately, our day and time here is over. We make a 4 hour drive to Pucon.

30ADE664-EF3E-4A73-A2C6-A1A587562BF7.png

The blue dot is about where Volcan Casablanca is. Pucon is below the search bar. Recall that Temuco, above the bar, is where we depart from at the end of the tour.

Nearby Pucon is Volcan Villarrica, one of our objectives (the town by that name, seen on the map, is actually farther). It is an active volcano which we can ascend when on yellow alert, and cannot when on orange and red alert. It’s on yellow alert now; however, tomorrow, we go to another, one farther away, because the forecasted weather is better; our guide says perfect weather, the best in the forecast.

Upon returning to our hotel, we get a night time glimpse of Volcan Villarrica, 10 miles away.

705AEF7F-7B5F-438A-86B8-C133DEED912E.jpeg

Does that look Yellow to you?!

Attachments

• D48AD257-A18C-4889-87BB-A153E9015B78.jpeg
    D48AD257-A18C-4889-87BB-A153E9015B78.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 7D44D08D-3F0D-4792-B275-C4E5CA72A457.jpeg
    7D44D08D-3F0D-4792-B275-C4E5CA72A457.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 8C382E00-FD2E-4E25-8EB1-AF06C6DC7238.jpeg
    8C382E00-FD2E-4E25-8EB1-AF06C6DC7238.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Llessons llearned

I must preface that I was not seeking to do a volcano tour. I just wanted to ski, and, for my schedule, this was all that was available. This tour has a lot more elevation gain, at a higher altitude than I’ve ever done. What caught my eye, besides the dates, was that I would not need to carry a 40 liter pack with sleeping bag, change of clothes, and layers for every conceivable circumstance. (See last year’s hut to hut trip report).

Today, I learned much about touring and about myself. Our objective is Quetrupillán, because the weather and visibility at Volcan Villarrica is forecasted to be poor; hard to believe when waking to this view of Villarrica.

C37EFBCA-2AE5-4897-A774-69DCA697FB3A.jpeg

Getting to Quetrupillán, we drive along a dirt road which, at elevation, is abundantly covered with fresh snow.

04C3A53D-4D97-4E37-959E-4DC0267CEDB8.jpeg

After parking along side the road, in an opening in the trees, we skin up the road to the trailhead, from which we can see our objective,

7ECAF994-1774-448C-869D-3FED4ACD6CF2.jpeg

Our alpine route, reached by a grueling route below tree line, some of which included bamboo clusters, is traced here. I think our approach at the summit is further right.

18C8236D-8B36-4B5C-B016-A939151BBA5F.jpeg

The blue marks show two things. The first is where I stopped and had my lunch. The second is about how far I made it.

Upon returning to the trailhead, the sky had cleared and our accomplishment is on full display.

0169B238-D69F-4ED9-9356-EF62F45ACECA.jpeg

The reward is a delicious, well-deserved mixed barbecue accompanied by a good find, a Carménére that has a barnyard nose, something wholly unexpected from a varietal for so long has been thought to be a Merlot.

6E1B4822-6A7B-4305-81B1-A6D274AA4568.jpeg

So, what did I llearn today? First, I learned that Quetrupillán is pronounced Quetrupijan. A double LL sounds like a ‘j’. I had thought until now that the ‘j’ sound simply didn’t exist in Spanish, Jose being ‘hōzay’. The second thing I learned is that my injured left glutes are not fully recovered in strength and endurance. The third is that I need to nourish and hydrate myself more.

Going back to the photo showing our alpine route and the two blue marks, as I mentioned before, the first mark is where I had my lunch. Others had finished or almost finished their lunch! They had been munching along the way up. Me, I had two or three bites from an energy bar up to tree line. When we exited the trees, we encountered another group, seated and enjoying lunch under the sun. I was thinking, what a great place to have lunch; I was famished. But, our group pushed on, so after another bite from an energy bar and a sip of water, I followed. That was at about 600 meter (1800 ft. est.) elevation gain. 100 meter later, my left glutes started feeling fatigued. I can go on, but there was definitely a difference in power, between left and right. The feeling of hunger was more pressing. 100 meter more, I asked to stop for lunch. “You haven’t had your sandwich?” Huh? Everyone else had had theirs? When did that happen? Anyway, I consume my lunch, rather than “have lunch”, take another swig of water, then we move on. Progressively, my left glutes get weaker and I stop to discuss it with the others. I decided, rather than descending, which would have entailed everyone descending, to go on, but at my own pace, knowing that I will lag. We will always be in sight of each other, except as each one above goes over a small roll at the top. As we continue up, it gets to the point where I’m doing the skinning version of limping. Each left-legged step was a struggle. Yet, from lessons learned in PT, I very consciously held my form, lest I use my QL and strain my back. I’ve fallen way behind. I am no longer thinking of summiting. I’m wondering how I’m going to pressure my left outside ski when skiing down. One by one, the other three summit. They transition quickly. The quickest of them appears and hails me, to tell me to transition, which I hurriedly do. I’m about 30 meters short of the summit, yet relieved and, at the same time, apprehensive.

As I transition, the others ski past me, each pausing to check on how I’m doing. “Fine” is the answer. Any other description wasn’t going to change anything. By the time I complete my transition, overhead clouds have returned and it’s whiteout conditions. My best hope is to ski near their tracks. Yet, I still want some untracked powder, so I ski next to their tracks. First turn, or was it second, complete vertigo and I collapse. Next turn, same thing. Finally, I get right in amongst their tracks, and I focus my eyes on where they are below, giving me a point of reference. Much better. No vertigo. But, my left glutes are toast. I’m skiing down like a novice. When I reach the group, we discuss it. We’ll take it slow. Two head off. One stays with me, at which point, I realize my boots are still in walk mode. Oh that explains it the other says, then heads off. I’m not convinced. Sure enough, ski mode doesn’t help at all. What to do? After having joined the others and apprising them of the situation, I tell them I’ll traverse my way down. “How are you going to do that?” I demonstrate to them, and to myself, a proficient kick turn. Ok, we have a plan! So, that’s what I do, traverse, kick turn, and repeat. As we descend, we get to shallower slopes and I even make a few gratifying turns.

At tree line, what lies before me is another daunting task. It’s not steep, but nimbleness through trees and shrubs is required, a level quite beyond me. Side slipping is what’s on order. Side slip, shuffle right or left of a tree or shrub… and repeat. Oh, and did I mention the bamboo, some of whose stalks are bent over, tops planted in deep snow, creating bear traps? Side slipping is fine by me. Soon, everyone is side slipping. And soon enough, we are all bootpacking. Eventually, we make it to open field and we can ski and pole the rest of the way. I would have said we can skate, but “we” cannot. For me, that last view of the mountain, photo above, stimulated a sense of gratification and accomplishment, not for ascending, for getting back down.

I tell our guide that I’m taking the next day off. I’m getting a massage and going to a hot spring. He says that’s a good idea. A bit later, I discover that tomorrow is a planned day off, at a hot spring. Why didn’t he say so in the first place? The joke’s on me.

I wrote that I learned about both nutrition and hydration. So, what about hydration? On the drive back to Pucon, the topic of adding electrolytes came up. So, I asked, how much water did everyone consume? The answer was about 2 liters. Me? 500 ml, and I hadn’t finished it before getting as far up as I got! I finished it when I got back to tree line, where I also fully consumed my 400 ml of tea ( yes, still notes of chocolate). I felt a greater need for hydration from the descent than the ascent. Our guide and everyone else tells me this is wholly inappropriate. I learn that I should be consuming about 350 ml every hour and a quarter. That is good information for a guy that, when cooking, measures fluids by eyeing its meniscus in a graduated measuring cup. It is somewhat disconcerting to this chef that 350 ml is not exactly 1/3 of a liter, nor, on an hourly basis is the 280 ml one-fourth of a liter. But, it is, neverthelessmost helpful that I can measure 350 ml in a Nalgene bottle that has 50 ml graduations, eyeing the meniscus.

Let’s see. Did I learn anything else? Yes. When one knows something is physically wrong, then if possible, retreat or don’t go on. When things go wrong, don’t rush; make sure your boots are in ski-mode, or whatever else. Don’t let group dynamics interfere with prudent decision making. I looked forward to the rest-day and the hot springs.

Dinner was at La Maga in Pucon. Ask for and share their BBQ mix, the one with chicken.
http://www.lamagapucon.cl/en/

One more thing. The forecast was correct. Here’s the view up Quetrupillán from where I consumed lunch,

A9ABD532-EB6E-4520-A0DE-50241AEA0C49.jpeg

We can see the summit. Here is the view of Volcan Villarrica, whose flanks I have marked in red.

CA55EB97-3D32-4CCA-A7F0-1C1C3EB5AB26.jpeg

That’s for sure bad visibility.

Attachments

• C13016C2-EE68-4B7B-AD9E-DD09A534C51F.jpeg
    C13016C2-EE68-4B7B-AD9E-DD09A534C51F.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@karlo , thanks for another great write up! Makes for fun reading mixing the skiing, the food and the ‘lessons learned’.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
@karlo , thanks for another great write up! Makes for fun reading mixing the skiing, the food and the ‘lessons learned’.

Thanks. Just wish some of these lessons were being learned in the classroom :)

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Pucon

The day off in Pucon was put to good use. Morning was spent shopping. Afternoon was spent at the hot springs. Pucon is a decent sized town with, because of the nearby Villarrica National Park, a significant tourist industry. O’Higgins Street is lined with outfitters and tour operators that will take you skiing, snowshoeing, climbing, hiking, rafting. You can walk into any with your street clothes and they will fit you with everything, including ski jacket, pants, gloves, and goggles. O’Higgins also has sporting goods shops, restaurants and, of course, souvenir shops. What was surprising was that there are three (four?) pharmacies, all within three blocks of each other. The outfitters and pharmacies must have a symbiotic relationship.

In the morning, I go shopping. On the list is a one liter bottle. Also, I need a glove liner, having lost one at Quetrupillan. Then, I need to find gifts. The Good Wife had pointed out that lapis lazuli and copper are what Chile is known for. She’s very good at pointing out jewelry opportunities. For my son, she suggested something maybe made of alpaca, but I haven’t seen any alpaca in the countryside. Lots of cows and sheep though.

At one end of O’Higgins is a row shops selling international brands, like North Face, Marmot, etc. One shop is open early, but their cash register isn’t operable until 10:30, which is fine by me. I find my bottle and, after digging through a jumbled assortment in a box, my glove liners. First mission accomplished when the register fires up and I’m off gift shopping by 10:35.

Around the corner is an interesting street, restaurants, local-fashion shops. Then at the end of the block is a more serious sporting goods shop, Zolkan. Camping gear, mountaineering gear…. Need to move on. Along Urrutia, a street parallel to O’Higgins is a fitness center, a dojo’s studio, some shops. One interesting “alley” has a matte shop, local-honey…, and La Materia, a coffee shop. Having completed my first mission so efficiently, I feel ahead of schedule, so I settle in for an Americano, and I’m so glad I did.

62EC1A80-A146-499C-A089-0E98CAB6B956.jpeg

46B2461A-88E0-42D0-9544-89ABFE805F2D.jpeg

It was really good coffee. I’ll be back.

46030EF3-229A-4DC7-91C1-AE1EF3E1A3B0.jpeg

Around the next corner, on Fresia Street, is A2 Joyas, a small jewelry shop. Only two lapis lazuli items remain. Across the street are more shops. But, they sell highly polished jewelry, stuff you’d wear to dinner or to the office, not hiking or camping or everyday-casual. So I return to A2. The small lapis and yellow-gold earrings will work well for my daughter. The silver and lapis necklace are very nice. But, earrings for the Good Wife would be nicer, one with a stones than for my daughter. The jeweler and I agree on the design. If the larger stones are available, it will be ready in the afternoon. Time is up. I’ll have to continue after the hot springs.

I didnt take many photos at the hot springs. It’s about a half hour drive away. It’s a series of pools along a rushing river.

30942E03-4C51-49FE-B248-12CEB26FE110.jpeg

The topmost pool is the hottest, accessed by steps from a changing cabin.

B7E97376-280D-46A1-908D-50EC6D6173FF.jpeg

Each pool along the string of pools is cooler than the one before. We settle into the second pool. Soon enough, having acclimatized, some of us can tolerate the hottest pool. Good company, good conversation made for a delightful time.

Back in town, there’s more shopping to do before dinner. The Norwegian wants jewelry too and joins me. After another coffee at La Material, we head to the jewelry shop. The earrings have been made, but larger stones were unavailable. I take the necklace instead, the one I saw this morning.

FE956638-0695-4E2C-B098-D3BD036D01C5.jpeg

The Norwegian takes the earrings! Job well done.

Now for my son. None of the shops I’ve seen so far have stimulated any ideas. However, as I step out of the jewelry shop, the window next door catches my eye. On display are jackets, pullovers, and other stuff for kids, but not toys. The lights are out, closed, how disappointing. Just as those thoughts wash across my mind, a woman opens the door, coat on, pocketbook in hand, stepping out to leave. I look up at her and ask if I can go in, as I, not waiting for an answer, step in. I’m in a darkened room surrounded by children’s hats, jackets, sweaters, gloves. Very promising. Luckily, her answer to my question must have been yes because the lights go on. She had a business appointment but is in no rush. Ah yes, this is Chile; this is South America; so nice when you are the one someone else is waiting for. For once, I’m on the right side of the double-edged sword.

In the far corner of the room, I find a jumble of white furry slippers. Alpaca? No, lamb. My son has this thing for free-to-take hotel slippers. I must agree. Hotel slippers are often very nice. After all, they’ve put their name or logo on them; they had better be nice. The lamby slippers are perfect!

58EB6E5D-958E-4A82-9CF9-832FA8920648.jpeg
www.kidooutdoors.com in Pucon.

Just in time. We step into the restaurant, Tawern, just in time. Those who had the lamb shank all loved it. I had the sea trout. It was meaty and moist, perfect, as was the musical accompaniment.

Tomorrow, Volcano Lonquimay.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
woops. I mean Volcan Villarrica is the next day

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Volcan Villarrica

Being as active as this volcano is,

DFDDA8E7-B335-414E-AA55-16E82F11D4D5.jpeg

there is a 1 km exclusion zone.

D50833B5-734A-4DBE-ADB0-B09D098EB5EB.png

Here it is topographically,

20CA9E1A-8368-4D5A-8199-95F43664B380.png

Roughly, we are permitted to hike up to 2350 meter, rather than to the crater’s rim at 2860 meter. Having started at about 1450 meters, that’s a 900 meter (~2700 ft) elevation gain. I know from my experience two days earlier, I can do about 700 meter. I do about 500 meters; I’ve placed a marker at where I waited for the others, having continued onwards, to return. It’s an abandoned lift station, abandoned after having been rebuilt twice only to have it destroyed yet again by lava and avalanches. It is known as the Chapel.

Weather, and visibility, was forecasted to be good. Skiing was promising as well, having snowed the day and night before. In the morning, clouds still hovered over the volcano, which we climbed through.

9A6629EA-921D-46C9-98DD-1E20421ECB39.jpeg

Above the clouds, the smoking summit is bathed in sun.

8253E9BE-7E85-4B94-8BAE-611B3E983E0B.jpeg

Luckily, the Chapel is also above the clouds, yielding a spectacular view.

5C1CAE8C-909D-4971-9D1D-8879274A168E.jpeg

These three guys snowshoed up, arriving shortly after the others of my team continued their ascent.

A bit later, another guide, with the same guiding company, and his client decide to join me at the Chapel.

4CEFDDBE-C0B0-4669-95A9-8D60C3307648.jpeg

The ski down was tough, as the snow had become quite wet and heavy. By skiing left of the team, I was able to find a few faces, with southeast aspects, that were somewhat protected from sun. Those were really fun.

We make our way through the resort and return to the car. By now, the skies have fully cleared and we have a clear view of Villarrica.

608A54C8-CA2F-4E04-A844-31D79236E166.jpeg

Here, I’ve zoomed in and sketched out approximate path up the volcano. The Chapel in circled in blue.

E3D1D629-BFA1-43E0-A32F-A59F14CBCC78.jpeg

All in all, it was a great day, one that is followed by a 3-hour drive north,

3718D78F-5936-4A62-A9FD-F327507E9950.jpeg

from Pucon/Villarrica, to a lodge near Volcan Lonquimay, our next day’s objective. (The map also shows our earlier drive from PuyehueLake/Volcan Casablanca to Pucon.) During the drive,

DCBCD07A-887A-4E59-8555-D1C5CA601EFF.jpeg

we beheld Volcan Llaima (jai-ma) set in the beautiful Chilean countryside.

C5AD51C0-9E20-4A8C-8602-15989A359FE2.jpeg

Being put out to pasture there doesn’t look half bad.

5BDC6597-1309-4569-AF1B-F491960A57F8.jpeg

A couple more photos from the Chapel.

579B6B54-9260-43CA-8757-4A1876DC5DD9.jpeg

811E7BD5-BBA8-4987-A634-50C33299DBB0.jpeg

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Volcan Lonquimay

F4362945-F994-4511-BB1B-2CEC169E1DE3.jpeg
View from the summit, overlooking the crater.

Today, I summit, with the help of Corralco's lifts. I'm not proud :). The top of the uppermost lift at Corralco ski resort is at 2400 meters and the summit is at 2965 meters, for a 565 meter (~1700’) elevation gain, perfect for me as I learned in the previous days.

I got myself a day ticket, to ski a few runs at the resort while our hardy Norwegian skinned up with Luciano, again, our guide. Turns out, a one way ticket would have done, since there's no RFID reader at the uppermost lift, where the best piste and offpiste skiing is. No big deal. The low season day ticket was 22,000 pesos, about $30, and the one easy ticket would have been 10,000 pesos, about $14.

The skiing off the lift was fantastic. The piste was well groomed. The snow in the offpiste, though somewhat tracked, was wind affected but dry. And, I skied it without a backpack, having left out at the patrol station at the top of the lift. So fun. And, it was easy to hook up with our intrepid climbers since the route takes them alongside the upper piste to the top of the lift. Evidently, it was too easy. Luciano estimated it would take 2 hours to reach the top of the lift. They did the 860 meter (~2600') in 1 hr 40 minutes.

20191006_113520000_iOS.png

Even then, the Norwegian was still going strong as we joined them for the push to the summit.

6F80CCC7-483F-4B3C-A4FA-F78A18822F0C.jpeg

With everyone else having summited, I pull up the rear.

21C88E44-67FC-46D8-98D1-334A36001FE0.jpeg

and summit.

0C409527-C418-4E3D-9501-BCC81BFF159D.jpeg

62D6B1D7-D37B-4120-AA87-F2EF26D4216C.jpeg

FD4EBCD1-64BE-4D3E-B899-FE6A522BD5A5.jpeg

91DB56A9-F220-4B80-B9C9-C3AE018C90AF.jpeg

The skiing down was fantastic the first 150, 200 meters. Dry, wind affected snow with a good pitch that made breaking through crust easy. After that, it was progressively tougher as, by then, the snow at lower elevation had gotten wet and heavy. The offpiste at the upper part of the resort, so nice to ski in the morning, was, for me, now impossible, as I tried to stay over my BoS, only to get thrown forward when the tips got stuck or as I tried to stay a bit aft, incapacitating my ability to turn. As we entered the last pitch of offpiste terrain, Luciano gave me a tip. Playing with that, I finally made some nice turns. I had to extrapolate and experiment from what he said, but essentially, what did it for me was (1) make long turns, not short and medium; i.e., less rotation, (2) avoid a hard edge set; gently and gradually edge, with the highest edge angle at only the belly of the turn, never holding to one edge angle throughout the turn; i.e., avoid any elements of a park and ride turn. Finally, I made some good turns in what I imagine, in California, is Sierra cement, on 85-width skis no less. Unfortunately, this revelation happened on the last stretch of offpiste on the last day of skiing. Something to file away for next time.

Upon returning to the hotel, we enjoy a soak in the hot springs, then dinner. At the end of the evening, we resolve to put off the decision on what to do the next day, a day with winds and heavy rain forecasted.

Which photo is staged? The one above, or this one?

5DC8DCCE-1BC2-40EA-B70C-E37BD0DCEEE6.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Santiago Reprise

The forecast is spot-on. We wake to rain. In the alpine, it will be windy as well. We all decide to end the trip early, not feeling we missed anything because our all-knowing guide arranged for us to travel on an evening, rather than on the originally-planned travel-day. That got us to Villarrica for a break in the weather and to Lonquimay early, before forecasted weather came in. For me, cutting it short by a day meant an opportunity to spend another night in Santiago, to try out Hotel Cumbres, and to seek out more good food and wine.

Turns out Hotel Cumbres was fully booked. But, I got in the good food and wine, at Mestizo,
http://mestizorestaurant.cl

Mestizo is a modern restaurant in a trendy upscale district of Santiago. Couples dresses well; men in loafers and sweaters draped over their shoulders; women in skirts or dresses; table of American tourists with a guide introducing foods and wines. I decide to, as best I could, have the same as I had at my dinner a week earlier in Santiago, at the aforementioned El Galleon, a restaurant at Mercado Central. That means, oysters, ceviche, and a fish entree, with a white wine.

Oysters at El Galleon

B9EDFDEE-B481-4A7B-A021-D4ACBB621A57.png

Oysters at Mestizo
07D684C0-7DFE-4ABE-B7EC-DD9F56633D14.png

The oysters are the same. Many are very salty, a few are not and and have a sweet, fresh taste. The big difference is the wine vinaigrette, infused with red onion and chile, served with the Mestizo oysters. The vinaigrette effectively and very nicely cuts the saltiness, while retaining the fresh flavor of the oysters.

Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the Ceviche Reneita (a common fish in Chile) from El Galleon. Here it is at Mestizo.

89F612B8-663B-448A-B04B-9721FE63109B.png

Visually, they are very similar, except this one is sitting in a pool of marinade. The main difference is in texture. The ceviche at El Galleon feels like a marinated herring, more meaty, with a very flavorful vinegar marinade. This ceviche at Mestizo is extremely soft and tender. So, in the context of ceviche, it's the difference in medium rare and well done and which one likes better is personal preference.

Mestizo does not offer fish concato style, or at least not explicitly stated on the menu as it was at El Galleon,

AB112C8C-23E3-40DB-8815-33C9A470C1BE.png

Instead, I had their salmon,

1C20F13E-B875-42AC-8CB6-BF1580715881.png

Mestizo uses local seafood and prepares contemporary recipes. That worked well with the oysters, as the vinaigrette added something. The salmon, to me was disappointing. The flesh was medium well to well (I prefer medium rare), AND the skin was not crispy. I can tolerate medium well to well, but the skin has to be crispy.

The greatest delight was the wine. At El Galleon, I had what was recommended to me and it was fine, but not notable. This evening, after googling the list of whites, I decide on the 2018 Casas del Bosque Grand Reserve Sauvignon Blanc. It is exquisite. Dry, fresh, with citrus notes. I haven't found the 2018 in the States, but other vintages are available,

casas del bosque sb.jpg
https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/casas+bosque+grand+rsrv+sauv+blanc+casa+blanca+valley+chile

The trip to Chile was so worthwhile. Walking through Mercado Central and viewing the seafood stalls was a treat. Comparing "modern" Chilean cuisine with classical cuisine was fun. Discovering a varietal, Carmenere, unbenownst to me and the great breadth of wines that Chile has to offer, including Sauvignon Blancs, a favorite of mine, was an unexpected treat. Beholding beautiful Cotswold-before-it-was-Cotswold countryside dotted with sheep was delightful. Add to that hot springs, scenic volcanos and mountainscapes, and the skiing, what can one not like about that? Already, I've got feelers out to friends about going to Chile next summer or the following. And, now, I also want to go deeper into Chilean Patagonia, to explore its natural wonders,

patagonia nat geo.jpg
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2010/02/patagonia-southern-chile-torres-del-paine/

and to find that elusive Chilean Sea Bass (aka Patagonian Toothfish)

toothmid2-lr_osatfdl.jpg

And, if I’m going to explore the coastal waters, why not cross those waters? I heard the skiing there is pretty good.

5C232F2E-CA24-40B0-BD38-DA3BDF599C7C.jpeg
http://www.ocscsailingblog.com/ocsc-in-antarctica/

Sponsor