• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Chile 2019 Trip Report - Nevados de Chillan

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Skiing on a volcano, are there vents to be wary of?

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Skiing on a volcano, are there vents to be wary of?

There are 3 volcanoes near the resort, from looker's left to right: Nevados de Chillan (inactive), Volcan Neuvo (active, closest to the resort and 3km wide exclusion zone around it) and Volcan Vieja (inactive). Most of the open vents seem to be on the Volcan Neuvo and you can't go there due to the exclusion zone. The Volcan Vieja is downwind of the active volcano and tends to have ash on it, so it's not the best snow and you'd be unwise to go up there. You can hike to the Volcan Nevados de Chillan, as long as you stay away from the Volcan Nuevo. That doesn't have any open vents on it as far as I have see. The resort closes on the 29th Sept.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Alrighty, I have a ton of video that I have not shown for this trip. Since I'm home now and I've completed some of my other tasks, now I have a little more time to post some of the footage from the session 1 trip.....

August 13th - skiing above the Pirigallo Valley. This was normally a 25 minute skin but we worked on skinning technique on the way (some of the group had not skinned before) so we went through a complete progression (gliding, round turns, VAV/AVA turns, kick turns, using the risers, downhilling with the skins on) using terrain features on the way up to our line. There's some great terrain for teaching all the skills and guests really get to learn and progress. It's fun teaching it all but it does take a little bit of time.

Pitch 1 - this was a shorter pitch with a blind roll on it, to a longer pitch. When you are comfortable in the terrain, you can ski it all in one go, but we were working on our skills and confidence, so the group chose to break it up into two parts and regroup above the rollover. The first pitch is tighter, so we did some short turns and spooned the tracks.

Pitch 2 - the longer pitch. I stayed high to the skier's right where it's steeper and potentially more wind-loaded. I wanted to test the potentially more dangerous part of the slope to make sure it was ok for the others who were going to ski further left. It's a double fall-line to the right as well, the better skiing is further to the left. I skied it fast and the snow was decent, but most importantly, nothing was moving. Then the guys skied their line to the left (later video).

Pitch 3 - we are almost down into the Pirigallo Valley and the start of all of the ski tracks. I wanted to find soft snow and ski a nice face. I went quite far left where it's open and catches a lot more sun. I could see some rock patches and a few blades of grass sticking out. It was very steep. As I made my turns, a lot of snow started moving with me, a little bit more than I would have liked. I didn't want to put the rest of the group on that slope so I got through as quickly as I could and then radioed back to the group and told them to stay further to the skier's right on a slightly more shaded and colder aspect. They skied that one at a time and the snow was fine.

More video's to come....

Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Just bought a new laptop that actually works and makes editing footage a lot easier! Now I can get through some of the unpublished footage from Chile. Here's my group skiing some nice open bowls above the Pirigallo Valley, about a 25 minute skin from the top of the Otto Chair in Nevados de Chillan. This is more footage from the 13th August.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Back from the Dallas ski show! Time for the last bit of unseen footage from Chile..... here's a run through the Tres Marias area, but skier's left side. It can be hard to find a clean line through that area, but this is probably the most open way through that I have found. It rarely gets skied, we had a couple of nice untouched runs through there this season. It's pretty low angle, so a great option if avi conditions are higher, but it's still fun, with lot's of little wind-lips and jumps.

- Matt

Sponsor

Staff online