• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Hola amigos!
With the lead up to summer ski season down south and my preparation for (hopefully) what will be a month in Nevados de Chillan in August, I thought I'd start the trip report now so I can add important updates which may be of interest to people planning a trip down there this season.

This will be my second visit to Nevados and I'm really looking forward to it. Epic followers may remember the TR I wrote last season during what the locals (well my friend Francisco at least) were calling the worst season in 20 years. I still had a great time (my timing was good as I did get to experience the peak of the snow conditions at least) despite the sub-par conditions and the volcano getting a bit angry just before I was due to head out there. Thankfully none of that put a dampener on things; Nevados has a ton of great inbounds terrain which had ample cover and there is a lot of sidecountry terrain that few of the locals seem interested in. Despite the poor conditions, I got to ski plenty of untouched snow. It was a good time. Anyway, that's the background from last summer, let's push forward to what's happening this season.....

There has been a big change at the resort; the new fixed grip triple is up and running in the Tres Marias area. Last season, we got to see the new towers that they had installed for a brand new chair that they are putting up in the Tres Marias area. The cable, top and bottom stations and chairs are all in and the chair (to my knowledge) should be operational this summer. I'm not sure how I feel about this new chair. I don't think it will change things much for this season, I think the real big change will come for next season when they are supposedly putting in a new t-bar going all the way up into the TM area and this could nearly double the size of the ski area. Currently there is a ton of low angle off-piste out there, so having a t-bar will obviously change the nature of the skiing in that area, but the hopefully there will still be plenty of sidecountry that you can push further out to. That's not an issue for this summer as the chair only accesses the bottom of that zone. So, should be game on as per usual.

mapa-baja-1.jpg (the new Tres Marias chair is on the new trail map - it's the long lift that heads way out skiers left to the Refugio).

Hopefully this season, with more snow and a less angry volcano, we should be able to access all the way to the top of the peaks and enjoy so truly long off-piste runs. I can't wait for that. Last season we got a taste for that, now I hope to sample it for myself. I'm also looking forward to hopefully skiing more in the trees down lower, by all accounts, there's some great stuff down low in "Little Japan" (as Francisco calls it) that I want to spend more time in. Francisco is my partner in Chile and owns the accommodation in Las Trancas, where I stay.....

So far, there's been a few storms come through. Francisco says there is a lot of snow up high which is a good sign. He's calling for a good season (it would be hard for it to be any worse than last season). A decent storm is forecast for tomorrow (Sunday 4th June) with heavy snow and 35cm's of snow. We'll see how that goes. Here's a couple of photo's from a week ago that Francisco sent me -

unnamed 1.jpg
Looking downhill towards the top station of the new chairlift. It currently only accesses the lower part of the Tres Marias area and will have a bigger impact when the t-bar goes in next summer. Then we'll see a massive ski area. If that goes in, you'll be hearing a lot more about Nevados de Chillan!

unnamed 2.jpg
Two of the volcanic peaks (assuming they are the Volcan Nuevo - left and Viejo - right) with a decent amount of snow. You can clearly see what is under the snow, plenty of (extremely sharp, sorry Meier Skis.....) volcanic rock so you need decent coverage to ski this. Nevados does have the highest snowfall in South America at over 10m a year.

unnamed 3.jpg
The Refugio "Garganta del Diablo" will be easily accessible from the chairlift. No word on if it will become a restaurant or anything like that.

unnamed.jpg
This could be interesting...... there are some sweet trees lower down. Again, not sure exactly where this photo was taken, but the lower section of the new chair does pass through a cliffed area that is currently listed as closed, whether or not this zone will open up which could be sweet as there as some nice looking tree lines in there, remains to be seen.

Hopefully I will have some more photos after the storm tomorrow. It's snowing now apparently. Fingers crossed!

- Matt

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, your trips are always something to look forward to.

Last edited:
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
G'day Gang,
Back with another update. Nevados had some decent snow this weekend. Francisco is reporting 30cm's down low and 50cm's and more up high. He sent me some new photos from the same area (not sure who the people are in the photos) and you can see there is a lot more snow now. I'm getting very optimistic and excited for the upcoming season! Here's a couple of snaps that Francisco took this weekend -

mmexport1496804581000.jpg

mmexport1496718883510.jpg

This is the return trail from the Tres Marias area. This is the same run from the last batch of photos but slightly lower down. Looks like a lot more snow. Awesome! The weather forecast is calling for another round of snow tomorrow with 48cm in the forecast at mid-mountain and more up top. Things are looking good. Hopefully I will have another update in a couple of days with word of the latest storm.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Hola amigos!
Time for another Nevados de Chillan weather update. So, Nevados did get some decent snow in the last storm. Unfortunately I don't have any new photos, but I do have a Facebook video link for a new video that shows some of the newest storm, posted 2 hours ago on the Cordilleras Bike Park FB page -
It's a little blurry but you get the idea! Anyhow, the exciting news is the next big storm starting Thursday looks like a monster. There is looking like a bit of a warm spell in the middle down lower (Friday during the day), but either side of that, big accumulation, especially with the high winds. Up top, it's forecast to snow the whole time and they are calling for 90 inches, with 50mph winds from the north. Anyone looking at the snowpack later in the season, remember this layer for later! http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Chillan/6day/top.

It's still early days, my hope is that it gets colder on Friday so it snows all day, instead of rain during the middle of the day. Either way, they are up for some pretty wild weather and winter is well and truly hitting Nevados de Chillan.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
As we wait for the latest storm to hit (still the same forecast), I never posted any video from last season in the Epicski trip report. Thankfully Pugski allows Facebook video hosting so I can share a couple of video's from last season. As I said before, I love Nevados and it's easy access to the sidecountry. The terrain is great, with options for all levels of off-piste skiing. Last season at least, no one was hitting the sidecountry. Here's a couple of video's to show you what it's like........ during a bad season!

- Matt

Last edited:
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Wow, the forecast is definitely looking up...... 87cm's coming tonight and tomorrow at mid-mountain and then another storm forecast for Tuesday. That one could be even bigger. Looking like a huge amount of moisture on Thursday - https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/nevados-de-chillán_chile_3895086. Looks like opening on the 22nd of June is going to be pretty epic! Wish I was going to be there, but I will have to wait till August. It's early days but it's safe to say there's already been more snow than the entire 2016 season....... I'll try to get some more photos soon.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Some video of the latest snowfalls today, from the Nevados de Chillan Termas & Ski Facebook page today:

Going up the road from Las Trancas. Las Trancas is the little village I stay at with my groups and is about 20 minutes down valley from the start of the resort. It's a safe bet if there is decent snow in Las Trancas, then there will be very good snow up on the mountain.......

Footage from outside the Hotel Alto Nevado (1,700m or 5,577ft). This hotel is the highest up on the access road and is next to the Otto chairlift. A great place to hang out for lunch or to grab a beer at the end of the day! 1m of snow forecast for next week. Looking good out there.

Since Tricia and others have commented that I do run trips out there, if anyone wants to go, I still have places available - http://www.theadventureproject.net/chile/, would love to get a Pugski crew out there......

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Alrighty, some footage from up high from Nevados, this is what I've been waiting to see! I got this from the Nevados de Chillan facebook page today, the sun is finally out after the storm finished and they are moving snow around. Looks like a lot of snow up there! Wow! Looks awesome. The next storm starts on Tuesday with more than a meter in the forecast for down low...... opening day is in 4 days, it will be amazing there.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
More snow in Nevados. It has been snowing heavily all weekend. The resort is well and truly open. Season 2017 is here!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Time for another Chile update as it's been a while. The skiing in Nevados de Chillan is fantastic at the moment. Had a chat with Francisco this morning and he said everything up top is running and the coverage is really good. There is a lot more snow than last year already. The cat skiing is running at the summit. Another storm is forecast for the weekend and a big storm is brewing for Wednesday/Thursday. Here's a quick video they posted on the Nevados Facebook page today. Looking really good over there......

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Well that escalated quickly! Heavy snow tonight and then a big storm coming in on Wednesday with 140cm's (can't see Friday lunchtime so I'm thinking there is more coming) of new snow expected - http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Chillan/6day/mid. It's turning into quite the season over there, I can't imagine how good it will be during the next storm. It's not showing any signs of stopping, I wish I was there now but I have to wait till the 6th of August. If anyone wants to go this season then I can help with that; get a group of 4 together and I can put together a private trip for you August 29th to September 8th. Go to http://www.theadventureproject.net/chile/ for the info. or contact me here First in best dressed......

- Matt

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
How long does the season run for at Chillan? Haven't ever been able to quite figure out what September looks like as a comparison month to the northern hemisphere winters.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Good morning everyone!
Some good news in from Chile, Nevados is at the end of their massive storm cycle. Supposedly it has been a huge storm. I've not received any word of how much snow has fallen at the resort, but the forecast was calling for over 9ft of new snow up high. Francisco just sent me some pictures from his hotel complex in Las Trancas which is 20 minutes down valley from the start of the resort (and considerably lower), so good to see a healthy amount down low. Here's some new photos from today of the Cabanas los Hualles in Las Trancas.........

mmexport1500128400791.jpg

mmexport1500128407108.jpg

mmexport1500128411939.jpg

mmexport1500128415028.jpg

mmexport1500128417830.jpg

It's looking lovely down there. I just booked my plane ticket, so I'm officially heading down there. I fly out on the 6th August from Denver and will be landing in Concepcion around 5:50pm on the 7th. I leave on the 28th August. I'm flying with United and it cost just over $1,500 USD return from Denver to Concepcion, via Huston and Santiago. Not too bad considering I was pretty late booking. Can't wait!

- Matt

dave-o

Booting up
Skier
Thank Matt!
Looks way better than your photos from last year!
Any idea on road conditions?

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Thank Matt!
Looks way better than your photos from last year!
Any idea on road conditions?

Ha ha, yes, SO much better than last year, thanks for noticing Dave-o! We weren't out there last year till next month, so things can definitely change, but here's a comparison.......

20160821_161944.jpg

mmexport1500302740633.jpg

Francisco tells me there is a lot of snow up high, I'll know when I start skiing on the 8th August. I can't wait to be back on snow again! The road in general is pretty bad after a storm, they blade it but it can be really slippery. Most people carry and use chains and you definitely need them! They don't seem to use snow tires too much over here, chains are the way to go. Thanks for following along.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
About due for another update......

I think this one might be the last one before I leave, then I'll be posting the daily report. After the big 9ft storm a couple of weeks ago, they had another 80cm's over the weekend. It's been quite the season over there, with consistent weekly storms and then nice weather inbetween. There's more storms in the long-range forecast so unless the volcano (one of them!) goes off, I think we should be all set. My flights are booked (United, Denver to Concepcion return for just over $1,500 USD, not bad for last minute), I fly out on the 6th August and will be staying until the 29th. First day on snow will be the 8th August. I'm really excited, definitely ready to get back on snow and excited to see Nevados with great coverage. I got to see the potential of the place last year, now I should be skiing it in it's prime. I'm ready!

Here's some new photos off the https://www.facebook.com/nevadosdechillan/ page. It's amazing how much more snow there is. It's looking so filled in. I don't regret skiing it at low tide last year, it's good to see the mountain when it's a bit sparse..... but here's what it looked like today!

25 July 1.jpg

25 July 2.jpg

25 July 3.jpg

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
The adventure starts tomorrow! Finally heading down south to Chile. Leaving Denver at 2pm, 4.5 hours in Houston and then overnight to Santiago, arriving 8:10am local time on Monday morning. Then I have 8.5 hours in Santiago before taking the 1 hour 15 minute flight to Concepcion. I should arrive in Concepcion just before 6pm. Then it's about a 2.5 hour drive to Las Trancas. Skiing starts on Tuesday! Can't wait to be back on snow again.

I have 5.5 days with Kim, my first guest. She's already in Nevados as she is with another tour group. Will be fun to work with someone one on one and help her with her technique (Kim wants to focus on technique, not just guiding), so will get to use my instructor brain again. I'm looking forward to that. It's forecast to snow all week (big snow coming on Wednesday), so I'm sure we'll be focusing on a lot of powder technique.

Then on the 13th my good friend Gordon arrives from Telluride and we have 4 days of skiing together (Kim leaves on the 13th), before the rest of the group proper arrives on the 18th. We have a couple of guests from the UK who came on the Japan trip and then a new guest from California. Should be a fun, small group. We ski until the 27th August and then we all leave on the 28th. Back in Denver on the 29th. Excited to start the blog proper. Until then!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Sun 6th to Mon 7th Aug – Travel Day

I left Denver on Sunday, it was a pretty hot day and I was in shorts, pulling a ski bag and ski gear around, it looked weird but felt good to be doing so. I was flying with United (I managed to not get forcibly ejected from any of my flights) and flew from Denver to Houston (2.5 hours), then had 4.5 hours in Houston before taking the overnight flight to Santiago. I had 9 hours in Santiago (that was pretty brutal, there is not much to do in that airport) and then it was a quick 1 hour 15 minute flight to Concepcion. It was close to 6pm when I arrived. Ramiro, my driver from last year, was there to meet me and drive me up to Las Trancas. We drove to Chillan (1 hour) and had a stop for some dinner.

Ramiro is from Chillan so he knows the place very well. Most places were shut but he found a nice little local restaurant. I asked him what he would like for dinner (my shout) and out of everything on the menu; he wanted tripe (intestines!). He said it was his favorite. I had a steak. I did try some of his intestines (well, not his intestines, the ones on his plate, I’m not a zombie, although I was feeling like one with the lack of sleep!), but they weren’t that great, so I stuck with my steak. Then it was another 1.5 hours to Las Trancas where we got to the accommodation and was given a warm greeting by my good friend Francisco. Kim was also in the lodge so we hung out, then I got settled in. The adventure could officially begin!

DSC05965.JPG
It was my shout for dinner. I asked Ramiro what he would like for dinner, he chose intestines. I chose steak. Apparently he really loves intestines! Each to there own....

DSC05966.JPG
The restaurant we went to in Chillan, Ramiro's home town so he knows where is good to eat! Good man Ramiro!

- Matt

Sponsor

Staff online