• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Want To Buy Cheap Good Road Frames

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
soooooo...I know what you're going to say...however..anyone seen any good deals on rim brake road frames? Anyone?? Bueller??? I'm looking..but..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Short as hell.. Something like a 48-50cm depending on whether it's a compact or not..effective top tube like 510mm-520mm... I keep looking for rim brake frames to drop but nuthin. I've seen some stuff for $800 but hoping to get something for less than that. Some Trek ALR frames are on sale for around $529 but disc frames.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why not a whole used bike and then swap out parts as needed?
Want an endurance or race frame? Carbon, aluminum, other?

A couple of carbon endurance bikes in 48cm in my area look good... They are asking for way too much (over what you're budgeting), but they haven't moved for over a month.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I don’t know how long has this disc brake business had encroached on the road frames. Perhaps you can find some left over rim brake frames in some local shop? They would be really motivated to move it.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I don’t know how long has this disc brake business had encroached on the road frames. Perhaps you can find some left over rim brake frames in some local shop? They would be really motivated to move it.
Yeah I'm looking around..I was hoping I'd find some motivated sellers..but not much to be had so far. When I was in the business we didn't typically have a lot of frames on hand. Precisely because nobody buys them much... :) So it's hit and miss..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Why not a whole used bike and then swap out parts as needed?
Want an endurance or race frame? Carbon, aluminum, other?

A couple of carbon endurance bikes in 48cm in my area look good... They are asking for way too much (over what you're budgeting), but they haven't moved for over a month.

Yeah I already have the parts..and I don't really want to get into the whole used box of parts lying around thing. I might be able to pull something off but with so many inconsistencies in part sizes I may end up having to buy a whole new bunch of parts to be able to render the leftover frame saleable. So I'm trying not to go down that road right now..

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Yeah I'm looking around..I was hoping I'd find some motivated sellers..but not much to be had so far. When I was in the business we didn't typically have a lot of frames on hand. Precisely because nobody buys them much... :) So it's hit and miss..
Sorry, I didn’t realize you want frame only. Should have read the post with more care.

But you've been “in the business”. So you know bare frame is typically only for higher end frames. Middle to low end frames don't exist as bare frames. They’re typically sold as a complete bikes.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I actually had a good price on a Fuji CF frame very similar but new..but shipping made it expensive..and I had to drop-ship to Niagara Falls and go pick it up over the border..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Sorry, I didn’t realize you want frame only. Should have read the post with more care.

But you've been “in the business”. So you know bare frame is typically only for higher end frames. Middle to low end frames don't exist as bare frames. They’re typically sold as a complete bikes.
Like I say..hoping someone has got some rim brake frames they're getting nervous about. We did have some swap frames around but it was a pretty rare thing. We occasionally got Giant frames in but you can't typically buy those retail. We'll see.. Fingers crossed.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I don't mind going back a bit but not tooooo far back in the way back machine. I have a nice 1 1/8" carbon fork I'd like to keep. Not keen on going back to threaded headset either..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
(I'm secretly hoping Ron has a miniature Moots he's willing to let go for $200....) :ogbiggrin: Or that TonyS will have a 63cm frame and I can say no thanks.. :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As a result of this thread I have found more than 10 labels with .cc websites - all willing to deliver rim brake frames right now at $800-$1700 per :geek::ogbiggrin: Everything in OP's price range is "Out Of Stock"
8Capture.JPG

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Some British places have good prices...Ribble..Brand X..Genesis..just not quite what I'm looking for. Picky AND cheap..what a dick! :ogbiggrin:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
(I'm secretly hoping Ron has a miniature Moots he's willing to let go for $200....) :ogbiggrin: Or that TonyS will have a 63cm frame and I can say no thanks.. :roflmao:

I have a nice 53cm CAAD something or other. Just hadn't gotten around to listing.

Sponsor

Staff online