• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cheap goggles...

snoempath

Booting up
Skier
Ok, I know I'm going to lose all my elite steeze cred with this post, but here goes.

I've been looking for some good goggles [it's so easy to type googles] for a while.- but being a total cheap ass, I wasn't going to pay $100-200 for a high end goggle.

Essentially I wanted a couple of lenses [dark and light] and a larger frame goggle. Magnetic lens retention was something that seemed pretty nice to have too. I was eyeing a few great deals I could snag on STP, but wasn't entirely happy, and even with a single lens, it was going to be ~$60 or more for what looked like something I'd like, which still seemed pretty steep!

I won't link, so no-one feels I'm shilling for gear - but some looking showed a vendor on Amazon that seemed to have at least a few good reviews that didn't appear to be people shilling, or giving a great review for goodies. [To burnish my cred as a bottom-feeder, I'd even looked on ebay - but that looked like a total dice game! I figured if it was an Amazon deal, and if it was total suckage, I could make Amazon take them back. Shipping back to some ebay seller in Hong Kong that hardly speaks/reads english seemed a lot less enjoyable. :) ]

After considering it a while, I purchased a pair of "OutdoorMaster Ski Goggles PRO". At the time, last fall, they were like $27 a pair. [It was an "instant" discount thing; the listed price was still $40 - but it showed the discount once you started checking out.] I actually got two pairs - because a single lens was nearly $25 and I wanted two lenses. [The pricing isn't as attractive now. I just checked and right this second, there's a 15% off sale, and that's ~$38, $43 normally.]

So, two pairs of frames and lenses for $50 or a bit more. I got a very dark grey lens [10% VLT] and a light/orange one [65% VLT]. The seller/product is kind of odd, as you can only get some lens colors with certain frame colors - so I've got a very lemony yellow frame I probably wouldn't have purchased in that particular color to get one of the lenses I wanted - but it's not that bad...

Skied them all season - even loaned them out once or twice [the spare pair]. I put in more than 35 days.

They've held up really incredibly well. Foam is solid, lenses have been good. The lenses scuff easier than I'd expected - but I'm not sure if that's "normal" or not since I don't have a $200 pair to test scuffing resistance with... :)

I had one lens that broke the seal between the two lens sandwich and fogged between the two lenses. But an inquiry with the vendor brought a replacement lens [green - 80%vlt - at my request] - and it's been fine. I had the problem from a rain day - which isn't something I often do, ski in the rain - so I'm sure that didn't help.

The magnetic retention is great, and new to me. It makes cleaning out the goggles from a crash a lot easier. [I don't crash often, but when I do, well it's usually worth seeing. And it also usually leaves my googles stuffed with snow.] It's far easier than pulling the goggles off and banging them around trying to dislodge the snow out the back side. Just pop the lens off - whack the side of your head real-good a few times [you hardly notice after those spectacular crashes] and most all the snow falls out. Seriously, a few good shakes for minor fill-age; or pull them off and modest whackage for the more packed-in variety and you're good.

It's also simple to wipe the lens while you have them out too, and while the insides *will* fog some, it's better than any other non-removable lens goggle I've worked with. Once you get moving and get some air-flow they'll usually defog quickly.

I'd probably pick lenses a bit differently if I had a do-over. I'd probably go with the Green/80% VLT, and something a little darker than the 65% VLT. But I think the 10% VLT is pretty dark. I'd probably pick something like 20-40% VLT and then the 80% VLT. But that's not a knock on the product - just my choices. [My thinking is: It's hard to let in more light once you've fitered it with a dark lens - and frankly I could ski the 65% VLT's all the time - even total blue-bird days. I might not be as happy as I might be, but I could certainly do fine. So, I'd rather squint a little in hard light, and still be able to see when it clouds over for a few minutes than the other way around.]

Oh, and pricing: If you're thinking about buying these,I'd probably sit tight and check Amazon frequently. [There are pricing watchers you can find for Amazon by doing a google search and it appears they can alert you when an item reaches a certain price target - so that might be useful...]

Overall - I'm quite happy.
Hope that helps someone!

-Greg

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
So much ski gear is ridiculously overpriced, particularly gear used for resort skiing. Here in Oz we have a retail chain called Aldi (German operation). There snow gear sale is their busiest day of the year. I'm a gear nut so I exclude myself from the following but my family has been skiing in Hokkaido and North America for many years now. They wear the Aldi stuff.
Goggles with 2 lenses -$15
10,000/10,000 jackets and pants for $40 a piece
Gloves for $15
Merino thermals

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I found a pair of Oakley Flight Deck XM goggles with the rose prism lenses for a friend of mine for half price. A certain popular auction site can be good for stuff like that.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Californians will be able to buy Decathlon stuff soon. That's disruption in sports gear.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
I posted this elsewhere, but a lot of the optic companies are owned by Luxottica Group S.p.A. This includes Oakley, Ray Ban, Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, and a whole lot more. One brand they own is Arnette. There are a couple sellers moving 3-year-old Arnette goggles for around $25 with replacement lenses going for as low as $6. These are the equivalent of $75-$100 goggles.

The Arnette goggles are really good, The lenses are of a decent quality, the frames are well made, and more importantly, they fit the family helmets.

Cheap goggles can be crappy goggles, as I found out once from an Internet purchase from China. Know what you are buying.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
OK, talk about losing steeze cred, but I just don't get the need for interchangeable lenses. I picked up a pair of cheap Scott low-end goggles on closeout like 10 years ago with the standard yellow whatever lenses, and they have performed perfectly fine in all conditions, from bright sun to flat light to night skiing. I've never felt the need to change out the lenses. I see goggles on sale for upwards of $250 for non-prescription lenses, and I just don't understand what I'm getting for that extra $200 or so, other than maybe status, which I have no use for.
:popcorn:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am all for interchangeable lens.
IMO, changing lenses on the lift is a disaster waiting to happen - even on a clear day. I don't even like to switch lenses in the base lodge. Generally I do all the swapping in the comfort of home and/or wherever I am staying.

For me, the term "interchanging lenses" does not mean a quick change on the run. It means the lenses are interchangeable across multiple pairs of goggles. The quick change feature just makes life much easier. I have several pairs set up with different tints; All ready to go.

I had lots of older goggles that were PIA when it comes to lens replacement. I just stop using them when they become scratched.

Price wise, one can always elect to pay MSRP, or not. My Smith I/O 7 goggles MSRP for $220. I picked up couple pairs for $44 each last week. That's new in box with an extra lens.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Coincidently, I started a thread in the beginner area about really good start up ski gear that doesn't break the bank.
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/affordable-start-up-ski-gear-ideas.4501/
Here is what I said about goggles in that thread.

Goggles: Smith has the Scope and Transit goggles for $40, which are the most basic lens and 'okay' frame, while the Squad and Riot both come with two double lenses in a big variety of frame and strap colors for $80 and $70, respectively. (Both the Riot and Squad are offered for $20 more with Chromapop.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, talk about losing steeze cred, but I just don't get the need for interchangeable lenses. I picked up a pair of cheap Scott low-end goggles on closeout like 10 years ago with the standard yellow whatever lenses, and they have performed perfectly fine in all conditions, from bright sun to flat light to night skiing. I've never felt the need to change out the lenses. I see goggles on sale for upwards of $250 for non-prescription lenses, and I just don't understand what I'm getting for that extra $200 or so, other than maybe status, which I have no use for.
:popcorn:
Confession here: I sell goggles that come with two sets of lenses all the time, and tout the benefits of being able to easily change the lens. However, I don't like changing things up after I hit the snow so I rarely change the lenses. I'll tend to have two pair with different lens and switch the actual goggles if I need to, rather than switch the lens.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Price wise, one can always elect to pay MSRP, or not. My Smith I/O 7 goggles MSRP for $220. I picked up couple pairs for $44 each last week. That's new in box with an extra lens.

Well yeah, that's true. I don't believe I've ever paid full price for any piece of ski equipment. But I just don't see that much difference in the quality/features of the $40 models vs. the $220.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I never pay full price for anything. I'm not a fan of switching out goggle lenses so I have 2 pairs. One which I bought from Canada with the excellent exchange rate. The other pair I bought at the scratch and dent table at Mount Snow. Both pairs of goggle costs together probably cost what one costs full retail. I bought a pair of Oakley Prism Rose goggles for my friend Tracey and paid about $100 and they were practically new. If you look around there's deals to be had and if you are comfortable on auction sites you can really find some good stuff.

colospgmike

Putting on skis
Skier
I ran into Stage goggles at AJ motion in SLC a couple years ago. I use them as a backup to my Anons and ski them on days where I dont think the light is going to change to save wear on the Anons. Decent goggle for the money.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 6 year old $60 goggles are finally falling apart. They never fogged up unless I took them off. With inflation my price range will be $60 - $100. Do some goggles handle tree branches better than others?

Grump, where did you get the Smiths for $40?

Got a $400 jacket for $180, but lost my gloves last year.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Grump, where did you get the Smiths for $40?

I got them at Amazon - 3rd party vendor. Keep an eye out on Amazon. The deals flashes through pretty quick. Usually gone within 24 hours.
Try ebay also. ebay deals shows up pretty early in the morning and then they are gone.

Amazon has several pair of I/O 7 for $82 with prime.
ebay also have a few good pairs running about $100.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I go for higher end sun glasses and appreciate the crisp, clear, zero distortion views on crisp clear days or enhanced amber lenses on flat light dry days. When it's super cold here the snow guns are always blasting, unless it's dumping, but often they run them in the snow too. So, for goggles, warm, double lens fog free is my need there. I'm going to be wiping them and skigeeing them at least twice a run so there is no point in super high quality $100+ goggle quality under those conditions.

I don't bother swapping lenses. I have 4-5 pairs of goggles in my bag, couple ambers, a dark, a clear, and a yellow. Really only need two pairs but nice to have spares for forgetful teenagers. The real sin is to end up desperate enough to pay highway robbery resort shop prices regardless of the quality/brand.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I bought a pair of practically brand new Oakley Flight Deck XM Goggles with Prizm Rose lenses for $100 on eBay. I set up a daily search to be emailed to me until I found the ones I wanted. By that point I'd already bought my flight decks with the high pink so I gave the rose ones to a good friend of mine. I wear the high pink for cloudy and low vis days. I had a pair of flight decks with torch iridium lenses for partial and full sun days that I found on the deal table as they had the tiniest of scratches so they were $100. Michael bought his Smith I/O goggles at the resort on a columbus day sale for $60, even came with 2 lenses. I can't be bothered with swapping lenses and having 2 pairs of goggles works for me. On warm days goggles are too hot for me so I wear sunglasses. Still wearing my Jeep branded goggles that were given to me for free at Killington a couple of years ago. Deals are out there, you just need to be patient and summertime is perfect for stuff like this.

Last edited:

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Picked up a pair of Zionor goggles for my son on amazon for $36- these things are solid. Amazon usually has some really good deals on goggles for older models and the unpopular colors etc.

Sponsor

Staff online