• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

chargy twintip that can carve

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love to charge, but I also love do do sidehits, and I will run the park and jumps if Im near/passing through.

I have good skis to carve, good for park, good for powder etc, and currently have way way to many 100mm skis., so thinking something in 90mm range.

Im looking for something that I can have fun on and carve hard on hard surfaces, but doesnt noodle. at 6'2 and 215-220lbs I tend to make most twintips flex out for carving and it takes the fun out. This season our local hills has also been extremly hard, so running 100mm skis is of course doable, but they loose nimbleness and that fun going fast edge to edge. I have carving friends, and park friends that dont seem to mix, but my carving friends will often go parallell to park, or where I can have fun on sides at times. Need to be able to land my shitty switch landings, so need some tips in rear, and a fairly forward stance. I'm not afraid of length, I have the CT 3.0 192, mantra 191, enforcer 93 and misc other fairly long skis, and it wont be used for woods. I do however think a ski like this should be 18-20M, not 23+

Doesnt need to perform in powder really. Only powder they will see is probably some tree cruises.

Looking around intarwebs/here I have found a few suggestions
black crows camox, it seems I can get both 19 and 20 models, and they are a bit different in weight and cut/materials?
armada arv 96
armada arv 96 ti
black ops 98
dynastar menace 98 (superhard to get here, and probably more expensive than the camox

camox seems to get a lot of love, but super rare, on our local sales forum there are like.... 30 "freebird" and birdie for sale, not a single regular camox, and nobody I know has skied it, usually they are insanely priced here like $1000 but due to shitty winter they are <500 now. I'm also confused as there seems to be a black 20, a red 20, but also a red 19 with different spec?

Black ops 98 seems to have some feedback saying you need your A game always, and worse for when its nearing end of days? I would of course love to brag and say i ALWAYS charge but yeah, I dont, Im getting older and can't go hard all day, also when the slopes crowd up, you have to pull the throttles back, needs to be able to release that tail and bleed speed, and not tumbeling over hooking on piles of snow.

Trying to find some of them for rentals/demo but its hard, to say the least.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
4frnt Devastator

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I love to charge, but I also love do do sidehits, and I will run the park and jumps if Im near/passing through.

I have good skis to carve, good for park, good for powder etc, and currently have way way to many 100mm skis.

Im looking for something that I can have fun on and carve hard on hard surfaces, but doesnt noodle. at 6'2 and 215-220lbs I tend to make most twintips flex out for carving and it takes the fun out. This season our local hills has also been extremly hard, so running 100mm skis is of course doable, but they loose nimbleness and that fun going fast edge to edge. I have carving friends, and park friends that dont seem to mix, but my carving friends will often go parallell to park, or where I can have fun on sides at times. Need to be able to land my shitty switch landings, so need some tips in rear, and a fairly forward stance. I'm not afraid of length, I have the CT 3.0 192, mantra 191, enforcer 93 and misc other fairly long skis, and it wont be used for woods. I do however think a ski like this should be 18-20M, not 23+

Doesnt need to perform in powder really. Only powder they will see is probably some tree cruises.

Looking around intarwebs/here I have found a few suggestions
black crows camox, it seems I can get both 19 and 20 models, and they are a bit different in weight and cut/materials?
armada arv 96
armada arv 96 ti
black ops 98
dynastar menace 98 (superhard to get here, and probably more expensive than the camox

camox seems to get a lot of love, but super rare, on our local sales forum there are like.... 30 "freebird" and birdie for sale, not a single regular camox, and nobody I know has skied it, usually they are insanely priced here like $1000 but due to shitty winter they are <500 now. I'm also confused as there seems to be a black 20, a red 20, but also a red 19 with different spec?

Black ops 98 seems to have some feedback saying you need your A game always, and worse for when its nearing end of days? I would of course love to brag and say i ALWAYS charge but yeah, I dont, Im getting older and can't go hard all day, also when the slopes crowd up, you have to pull the throttles back, needs to be able to release that tail and bleed speed, and not tumbeling over hooking on piles of snow.

Trying to find some of them for rentals/demo but its hard, to say the least.

The Armadas would be great choice's, The Fischer Ranger FR 94 is another option

The ARV 96 regular may be a little soft and not charge as much as you want. The ti definitely steps it up.

The Fischer will be light weight and carve very well, not light to the point of concern, this ski holds itself up well. You will have to mount it a bit forward as they do come recommended kind of far back. This ski in my opinion will be a more all mountain use ski than the Armada's it just depends how much more park vs all mountain you really want.

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Black Ops 98. They like to go fast. I'm exactly your size and I really like them. They are not the most lively ski in the world, but man do they like to charge. There is a difference between the 192 and the 182. The 182 is much more manageable than the 192 which are actually just a pair of heat seeking missiles disguised as skis.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
4frnt Devastator

142 - 111 - 137mm at 194 2.23KG ? seems kinda wide and slow for edge to edge? Would probably be more like the mantra 102, but even bigger and proper tail tip. and 25M radius I would be struggeling with width of most slopes here. Looks like a fun ski, they just have a "mini devastator" ;)

182 tend to be pretty short for me.. the 4front devestator is 184 or 194... so Im stuck kinda in between with my 189-190ish cm.

The Armadas would be great choice's, The Fischer Ranger FR 94 is another option

The ARV 96 regular may be a little soft and not charge as much as you want. The ti definitely steps it up.

The Fischer will be light weight and carve very well, not light to the point of concern, this ski holds itself up well. You will have to mount it a bit forward as they do come recommended kind of far back. This ski in my opinion will be a more all mountain use ski than the Armada's it just depends how much more park vs all mountain you really want.
Just put bindings on my 102 FR today, havent skied them yet, its absolutly pissing down with rain so... yeah. I hear a lot people say the 94FR is kinda weak vs 102FR?

I wonder how big the difference the ARV 96 vs 96 TI is.

Black Ops 98. They like to go fast. I'm exactly your size and I really like them. They are not the most lively ski in the world, but man do they like to charge. There is a difference between the 192 and the 182. The 182 is much more manageable than the 192 which are actually just a pair of heat seeking missiles disguised as skis.

I heard they ski "true to size" and 192 is definetly a lot to handle then with people around, the mantra 102 191cm is a handfull with people around, but my CT 3.0 at 192cm is just nice/fun and not stressing at all.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, I read again. I thought you where looking for solid twin tips. You are looking for solid all-mountain carvers instead.

If you could find some used Renoun Endurance 98 in 191. They could handle you just fine.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reading upon the Renoun, looks perfect for what I want, seems availability is a bit poor in Norway, but looking into it, considering a skiiing trip to to the US soon anyway, and a buddy is up at whistler in 2 weeks.

I did talk with black crows about the camox, the 18/19 (red) is heavier than the 19/20, and would probably be more "chargy"

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’m smaller at 6’2”/175 but sounds like I have a similar skiing style and love for Playful Chargers. Afraid there aren’t that many lower 90mm skis that fit even myself let alone someone your size.

On your list-

Armada ARV 96 reg version-Too light, too soft and too much taper for hard snow edge hold. Only goes to 184cm(tape 182cm).

ARV 96 Ti-heavier and stiffer than the regular version but again only goes to 184cm and not heavy enough still for charging with your size.

Black Ops 98-decent stiffness and not too much taper for harder snow edge grip but too light for it’s stiffness for charging through variable conditions. You have to be “on it” when skiing at speed as it doesn’t have the weight to just plow over stuff like the much heavier BO 118.

Camox is a very soft(Black Crows-Relaxed flex) ski that’s fun and playful but way too light for charging even in the largest size.

JSkis Masterblaster is like ARV 96 Ti with a bit softer flex and more weight behind it. Like a twin tip Enforcer in the mid 90mm. Not the best hard snow grip but decent. The 187cm version is a solid playful charger for your size but a handful for smaller skiers. The Menace 98 187cm a little lighter.

Menace 98-Softer tip/tail but solid underfoot with very little tip/tail taper for good edge grip and decent weight so it’s quite damp and stable at speed. The 187cm version(184.5 tape) jumps up significantly in stability with flex getting stiffer and turning into a solid playful charger. Same length and weight as my 186cm Enforcer 104 but the Menace is leagues ahead in dampness, stability above 45-50mph and has way better hard snow grip. My daily driver now even on smaller hills as long as you keep speeds up. Not the lightest swing weight but you should be okay with your size. Ski was called the Slicer, Slicer Factory for 8 years before being called the Menace 98 is currently selling for $400 CAN/$300 US and will be $100 less in a month. So maybe look for Slicer/Slicer Factory topsheets too.

2021 Black Crows Justis and the 2021 Candide 1.0 and 2.0 should be looked at too. The new CT 1.0 only goes to 183cm but they beefed it up significantly and it’s now 2150g in that size. The CT 2.0 beefier now too and that ski in the 2200g range in the 183cm and they make a 188cm. Both slightly directional now too.
Black Crows Justis is a stiffer, much heavier Camox with metal, less taper for better grip and a 21m radius. Looking at this ski for myself.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
142 - 111 - 137mm at 194 2.23KG ? seems kinda wide and slow for edge to edge? Would probably be more like the mantra 102, but even bigger and proper tail tip. and 25M radius I would be struggeling with width of most slopes here. Looks like a fun ski, they just have a "mini devastator" ;)

182 tend to be pretty short for me.. the 4front devestator is 184 or 194... so Im stuck kinda in between with my 189-190ish cm.

Just put bindings on my 102 FR today, havent skied them yet, its absolutly pissing down with rain so... yeah. I hear a lot people say the 94FR is kinda weak vs 102FR?

I wonder how big the difference the ARV 96 vs 96 TI is.

I heard they ski "true to size" and 192 is definetly a lot to handle then with people around, the mantra 102 191cm is a handfull with people around, but my CT 3.0 at 192cm is just nice/fun and not stressing at all.

I will agree that if you have FR 102 then no need to get the 94 as it will feel underwhelming

The difference is Huge on the Arvti, a lot stiffer, I have been skiing those the last two weeks and it is almost a different ski

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m smaller at 6’2”/175 but sounds like I have a similar skiing style and love for Playful Chargers. Afraid there aren’t that many lower 90mm skis that fit even myself let alone someone your size.

Camox is a very soft(Black Crows-Relaxed flex) ski that’s fun and playful but way too light for charging even in the largest size.

JSkis Masterblaster is like ARV 96 Ti with a bit softer flex and more weight behind it. Like a twin tip Enforcer in the mid 90mm. Not the best hard snow grip but decent. The 187cm version is a solid playful charger for your size but a handful for smaller skiers. The Menace 98 187cm a little lighter.

Menace 98-Softer tip/tail but solid underfoot with very little tip/tail taper for good edge grip and decent weight so it’s quite damp and stable at speed. The 187cm version(184.5 tape) jumps up significantly in stability with flex getting stiffer and turning into a solid playful charger. Same length and weight as my 186cm Enforcer 104 but the Menace is leagues ahead in dampness, stability above 45-50mph and has way better hard snow grip. My daily driver now even on smaller hills as long as you keep speeds up. Not the lightest swing weight but you should be okay with your size. Ski was called the Slicer, Slicer Factory for 8 years before being called the Menace 98 is currently selling for $400 CAN/$300 US and will be $100 less in a month. So maybe look for Slicer/Slicer Factory topsheets too.

2021 Black Crows Justis and the 2021 Candide 1.0 and 2.0 should be looked at too. The new CT 1.0 only goes to 183cm but they beefed it up significantly and it’s now 2150g in that size. The CT 2.0 beefier now too and that ski in the 2200g range in the 183cm and they make a 188cm. Both slightly directional now too.
Black Crows Justis is a stiffer, much heavier Camox with metal, less taper for better grip and a 21m radius. Looking at this ski for myself.

Thanks, will look into it your suggestions, your name keeps popping up on my google stuff both here and newschoolers, so yeah It seems we enjoy the good stuff :D

I recently saw this on the justis, I do miss when they spoke swedish, with their new forced english speaking a lot of the details are left out.

Question is the justis availability, I have buddies in chamonix, and I do live in europe... so hum, I will ask around a bit

I have the CT 1.0 in 188cm and LOVE it, I did neuter it and file edges for rails, it was sooo much fun before that to and from park, of course way to soft to fast, but just.. fun even on the green/blues, but my railgame kinda needs not so sharp edges.

I have both the CT 3.0 in 18/19 108mm 192cm and 19/20 112mm 190cm and I have to say I'm impressed, only 3 days so far on the 18/19 and I was planning on putting a duke PT hybrid on the 112mm.. so its still unmounted but we will see. Honestly I find the faction candides just lovely. I found it surprising how hard/fast I could go on the 3.0, and "sending it" of natural stuff, no idea what the english name is, but when the slope flattens out for a bit, just to drop hard again, also means you can land on a steep angle if you do it in the blacks/reds, just felt super stable and awesome, but of course the edge to edge is something to be desired, honestly dont feel the lengths of the tails on this ski.

I have been thinking about the new 2021 CT 2.0, but the only marketing stuff I found was "metal for the binding" which was a bit vague, and we are again in the 100mm club, I know a lot of people are like "ohh noes titanal" but I'm usually, yay titanal, any idea how far it stretches?

I will agree that if you have FR 102 then no need to get the 94 as it will feel underwhelming

The difference is Huge on the Arvti, a lot stiffer, I have been skiing those the last two weeks and it is almost a different ski

Hmm thanks, Might pickup the 102 FR 193cm as well, depending on how I like the 102 FR, any idea on how the 102 FR are vs the camox and the others?

Do you feel the ARV 96 TI skis short/long? how tall/heavy are you?

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
CC62E4FC-A18C-4EFA-8C78-6D32EAD4295D.png
F00126D3-D1FD-44CB-B368-1C5E2565F7D7.png

Directional(slightly) now with metal underfoot so it’s more robust on rails (but that will stiffen and dampen it too) and they added rubber underfoot and tip/tail to make it damper and absorb landings better. Menace 98 and Black Ops 98 do the same with metal in the binding area and use rubber to dampen.
Weight way up. Heavier than the 3.0 by a lot and might be heavier than the 4.0 now. So that might be interesting....

Saw that Freeride video on the Justis. It was quite firm conditions when they were testing and they still liked it. They went from Swedish with no subtitles On most videos to English as a second language. Rather Swedish with subtitles and maybe reps that know the skis they are selling.....lol

Fisher 102FR stiffer, heavier and much more precise than the Camox. The 193cm might be an interesting ski for your size.
The Enforcer 104 is heavier, a bit softer flexing and a more forgiving ski than the Fisher 102FR. Fisher lighter on it’s feet, the Enforcer 104 easier to ski crud with it’s higher weight. Both great skis!

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, will look into it your suggestions, your name keeps popping up on my google stuff both here and newschoolers, so yeah It seems we enjoy the good stuff :D

I recently saw this on the justis, I do miss when they spoke swedish, with their new forced english speaking a lot of the details are left out.

Question is the justis availability, I have buddies in chamonix, and I do live in europe... so hum, I will ask around a bit

I have the CT 1.0 in 188cm and LOVE it, I did neuter it and file edges for rails, it was sooo much fun before that to and from park, of course way to soft to fast, but just.. fun even on the green/blues, but my railgame kinda needs not so sharp edges.

I have both the CT 3.0 in 18/19 108mm 192cm and 19/20 112mm 190cm and I have to say I'm impressed, only 3 days so far on the 18/19 and I was planning on putting a duke PT hybrid on the 112mm.. so its still unmounted but we will see. Honestly I find the faction candides just lovely. I found it surprising how hard/fast I could go on the 3.0, and "sending it" of natural stuff, no idea what the english name is, but when the slope flattens out for a bit, just to drop hard again, also means you can land on a steep angle if you do it in the blacks/reds, just felt super stable and awesome, but of course the edge to edge is something to be desired, honestly dont feel the lengths of the tails on this ski.

I have been thinking about the new 2021 CT 2.0, but the only marketing stuff I found was "metal for the binding" which was a bit vague, and we are again in the 100mm club, I know a lot of people are like "ohh noes titanal" but I'm usually, yay titanal, any idea how far it stretches?

Hmm thanks, Might pickup the 102 FR 193cm as well, depending on how I like the 102 FR, any idea on how the 102 FR are vs the camox and the others?

Do you feel the ARV 96 TI skis short/long? how tall/heavy are you?

The Camox is going to be softer and more playful than the Ranger, the Ranger is a bit more directional twin and carves a lot better.

I am on the smaller side 5 ft 7 in at 145 pounds and I don't really feel the Arvti skis short if mounted at the
-2.5cm line. I have no experience with them mounted further back.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@GregK I've skied the enforcer 104 186cm in 2-3 feet of powder, on snowy pists, and in crud , also own the 110mm 185cm enforcer, they tend to go over the snow, when the mantra 102 goes through, both is a fun way to ski, depending on what you want. We have some places were the snow piles up in the forrest with very tight trees then the 104 and 110 enforcers are just so much fun. Honestly I feel 104/110 enforcer carves decent the 104 would go flap flap flap flap and be kinda weird, not really a problem though.

The freeride guys are awesome people, cool testers etc, but when you ask them to speak english the dumb everything down and use words they know in english, all nuances are removed.

I kinda know why faction are dropping the long ones, I've always been able to get insane dea ls on their longer skis, seems they are always left in stock and on sale. But C'mon the 1.0 in 183?! :| was justchecking some specs, and I can get a CT 1.0 18719 for €250 now new in local faction store, inc 25%vat

CT 2.0 looks interesting.

I did search around, all stores are out of my length menace 98, internet stores are out as well, but I have found 2 stores in france which are surprsingly cheap, like $300 here shipped, the 187 is listed with 25M radius, this concerns me a bit. when rideing say the CT 3.0 I'm useing all of our width and I think the 192 has like 22?23M?, and have to release the tail at times to control myself vs others, so at 25M radius I'm not able to posititon myself vs others that easy, Empty slopes, yeah sure no problem. For some reason they seem to skimp on slope width at every resort here.

@Winks
Will rock the ranger 102FR this weekend and see how I like them, they are 270 euros on sale since new 2021 pink ones are allready out :eek:
Softer and playful is quite often fun, like CT 1.0/3.0

You guys are so light! I used to be around 250-260lb before, interestingly enough that was when I was rock climbing a lot and just had more muscle. at 215lbs now I feel petite and light. When your young its cool to be tall, now its PITA with planes, cars, skis ;)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@anders_nor -That’s a good deal on the Fisher 102FR and the 2019 CT 1.0! I think you’ll like the Fishers. Nice ski!

One idea is to get another 188 CT 1.0 and keep the edges sharp and use that for your desired ski.

Think your “not tried yet” Fisher 102FR could work as that ski too as it’s still going to be different enough from the Enforcer 104 and Mantra. Not THAT different from 102mm to 96/98mm and the 102 FR has a nice weight. Would mean you’re not buying another ski so that might be a problem though....:roflmao:

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
haha actually orderd the CT 1.0s 1 hour ago, the deal on CT 1.0s was to good to pass up. Of course its not a super chargy ski even with edges, but its fun, sometimes fun is fun. and seeing them discontinued... well yeah.

will ski the fischers . I ended with +2cm on the 102 FR 184. I did put in a order for the 102 FR 191cm as well, Will be fun skiiing them back to back on same days, same conditions.

On a sitenote Im super stoked on the revolt 104 188, not sure we are getting them when there is still snow here though, heard rumours on may delivery, allready orderd with local volkl dealer.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
haha actually orderd the CT 1.0s 1 hour ago, the deal on CT 1.0s was to good to pass up. Of course its not a super chargy ski even with edges, but its fun, sometimes fun is fun. and seeing them discontinued... well yeah.

will ski the fischers . I ended with +2cm on the 102 FR 184. I did put in a order for the 102 FR 191cm as well, Will be fun skiiing them back to back on same days, same conditions.

On a sitenote Im super stoked on the revolt 104 188, not sure we are getting them when there is still snow here though, heard rumours on may delivery, allready orderd with local volkl dealer.

Laughed on all the ski ordering! “I could quit anytime”.......lol

Good on the plus 2cm on the 184cm Fishers. With the longer length, you could do the plus 3-4cm without issue I think.

I like the Revolt 121 but the Revolt 104 I will reserve opinion until I try it. From videos and reviews, it looks too soft with more taper on the tips/tails for decent harder snow grip for my liking. Like the K2 Reckoner 102-too soft and too light for my tastes. Both would be fun jibbing in the park but not for charging.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Feedback on the thread

loving the fischer 102 FR , feel its a slept on ski, probably one of my favorites now.

Also picked up the camox on a sale here locally, but kinda not supposed to ski for a few weeks, so will get back with more than.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saw this Blister preview/measurements of the Black Crow Justis. Measuring under weight(with a large variation between skis) with a very soft tip and stiff tail. Nope. Lol

Less interesting in this ski after skiing the Atris the other day along side the excellent Dynastar MFree 108. The Atris wasn’t damp at all, mediocre grip and slower edge to edge than my 116mm wide/25m radius Bibby’s.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
tried to buy atris on sale yesterday, freeride gave it 5s all around so... yeah sold out locally though, was 400 euros something with VAT

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would take a look at the J Skis Masterblaster. Very playful, fast, and mine do just fine on hard snow (West Coast).

Sponsor