• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Charger vs playful

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Custer vs Stuart at Gettysburg, I think the turning happened in retreat?

D.M. Gregg vs Stuart at Gettysburg (though Custer gave himself/gets all the credit for the action on the 3rd day) and it was Buford and the fighting withdrawal on the first day that had the biggest impact on the battle.
Not sure what that has to do with skis though....

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thank God for Tolkien. Although I admit it was hard getting through the very thorough detailed description of the Shire, the rest of the book(s) would not have been what it was without the investment in the first couple of chapters; it made it mean something. Nobody cares if there's nothing to lose.
(edit: talk about thread drift!)
Oh yeah. I love Tolkien. But he was long-winded enough without nerdy battle details that don't advance the plot.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
As for the nerdy battle details... Tolkien served with the Lancashire Fusiliers where he saw action right off at one of all the worst of places, the Somme in July 1916. two of his closest friends were killed there and it naturally influenced what he wrote.

Again, not sure what it has to do with skis, but the human element to me is important to the understanding of art, and history.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As for the nerdy battle details... Tolkien served with the Lancashire Fusiliers where he saw action right off at one of all the worst of places, the Somme in July 1916. two of his closest friends were killed there and it naturally influenced what he wrote.

Again, not sure what it has to do with skis, but the human element to me is important to the understanding of art, and history.
The HUMAN battle details, sure. I'm with you. I don't think of those as nerdy at all.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh yeah. I love Tolkien. But he was long-winded enough without nerdy battle details that don't advance the plot.

Long-winded? C’mon man, I am sure you have read Robert Jordan too. :roflmao:There were times during Wheels of Time when I thought it would be easier and faster if I just hanged myself.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Long-winded? C’mon man, I am sure you have read Robert Jordan too. :roflmao:There were times during Wheels of Time when I thought it would be easier and faster if I just hanged myself.

It always makes me giggle to live in a culture so acculturated to television-paced storytelling that they can't stand novels written in the 1940s let alone those written in the 1800s - but is chock full of 'experts' on legal language of the late 18th century.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Bernard Cromwell for some good civil war pulp. Patrick O'BRIAN Is pretty darned good for Napoleonic era Royal Navy lit but you gotta get through 50 or so pages of slow. If you do you may read the 21 book series.

As far as goldilocks from Michigan, he should be remembered for the hubris of not paying attention to what happened to Crook on the Rosebud.

Didn't know about Tolkein at the Somme. Mordor sure makes sense now.

We got it easy jabbering consumerist shite about stuff we bought or want to buy.

Those Corbetts sale Optics are tempting.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
It always makes me giggle to live in a culture so acculturated to television-paced storytelling…
Ever watch the French Connection in the last 20 years? It’s painfully slow. Also, they’re talking like 20 kilos, which has been pretty small for a long time.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blossom is building the “Race Room” line which are very good at making skis! Excellent heavy cores, metal and rubber too! A 21 CT shape and profile with those builds would be amazing I’m sure!

The R87 and R99 remind me of a more directional, flat tailed 21 CT 1.0 and CT 2.0 with similar weight and turning radius. The reviews of the heavy build R99 sound like the 21 CT 2.0 on groomers but less playful and fun off piste and in bumps.

Fwiw I did send a completely unsolicited suggestion to do something like the 2021 CT to Marshal (can’t remember his handle here or I’d tag him). I believe I’m correct in saying the Freeride 110 offered next year is based most directly on the Rossi Sickle, but he also thought it might have some similar attributes to the Candide 3.0. Haven’t been on and didn’t order the 110 so no comment (nor have I tried a 21 CT 3.0).

However, I’m pretty sure the Race Room R99 is a different thing. I didn’t get enough time on mine to have super strong impressions, but I would describe the R99 as being more of a “technical charger” (if I’m allowed to invent a new class of skis that has 1 constituent) than a “playful charger.” There is a really good review (not by me) on TGR that talks about what the term I just made up to try to explain the ski might mean. The thing I’m trying to emphasize is the tip is way more similar to an on piste carver in the R99 than most modern chargers I have used, playful or otherwise. It would be pretty shocking to me if the Candides worked like that.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fwiw I did send a completely unsolicited suggestion to do something like the 2021 CT to Marshal (can’t remember his handle here or I’d tag him). I believe I’m correct in saying the Freeride 110 offered next year is based most directly on the Rossi Sickle, but he also thought it might have some similar attributes to the Candide 3.0. Haven’t been on and didn’t order the 110 so no comment (nor have I tried a 21 CT 3.0).

However, I’m pretty sure the Race Room R99 is a different thing. I didn’t get enough time on mine to have super strong impressions, but I would describe the R99 as being more of a “technical charger” (if I’m allowed to invent a new class of skis that has 1 constituent) than a “playful charger.” There is a really good review (not by me) on TGR that talks about what the term I just made up to try to explain the ski might mean. The thing I’m trying to emphasize is the tip is way more similar to an on piste carver in the R99 than most modern chargers I have used, playful or otherwise. It would be pretty shocking to me if the Candides worked like that.
Yes, I’d agree that the R99 or R87 are more traditional chargers but with more versatility than something like the Monsters were.

The 21 CT 1.0 or CT 2.0 are playful chargers that would have similar damping and feel to those skis but with more forgiveness off trail and in bumps with the loss of some precision. Fun skis that can still haul when desired.

Saw the specs of the Heritage 110 freeride which is flat rocker and similar shape to the Sickle but with a bit more taper and softer flex tip/tail. Sounds like it had a lower speed limit vs the cambered CT 3.0.
The Sender Free 110 is a very similar shape, weight and dimensions to the 21 CT 3.0 so it should be the closest comparison of that ski. Wish they just made a narrower Blackops 118 with the exact same build as that would be an even better ski. Maybe in the future. :crossfingers:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid