• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changing The Brakes on Salomon X16 Lab

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
So, I've got a line on some Salomon X16 Lab bindings, which appeal to me both for the DIN range and their VAR system (I used to ski on Ess bindings exclusively back in the day), but they've only got 70mm brakes and I'm planning to mount them to a ski with a 97mm waist.

A lot of bindings have interchangeable brakes, but I can't see to find anything online about whether the brakes on these race bindings can be swapped out.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

PS - I have other binding options, of course, including just using the Look Pivot 14s I already have. But I'm interested in figuring out if this idea is even possible before deciding whether or not to pursue it.

Attachments

• x16-lab__L40507000[1].jpg
    x16-lab__L40507000[1].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 19

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think they only come in the 70mm brake size as they are meant for race rather than freeride skis. Better off with the lighter pivots with their shorter mounting length that allow the ski to naturally flex on a wider ski.
On a race ski it’s nice adding the the extra weight, height and stiffness.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you find brakes from the older Atomic Neox bindings, they are tough to find but they will fit. Downside, they are heavy bindings. If you want fore/aft adjustabilty, look at some of the better demo bindings....Attack 13, Warden 13 Demo, Griffon 13

TS
mallthus

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
FYI...decided to abandon this idea. Just got some Atomic STH WTR 16 for a song, so that’ll be what I use.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FYI...decided to abandon this idea. Just got some Atomic STH WTR 16 for a song, so that’ll be what I use.
Smart. While the X16 is a very good binding, this is not the application for it.