• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changing Head/Tail Lights

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have a 2017 Subaru Forester that my 17yo daughter drives. Tail light needs to be replaced (she got pulled over this week....for that said tail light) and I don’t have time to take to a garage/Subaru dealer.....figure I have to be able to do myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a how to do?....Google?....

How do I access the light to get to the bulb to replace?
Buy bulbs at an auto parts store? (Any specific bulb I need?)

Would like to be able to gain some knowledge so I can do this on my own......lol

*edit...found a good video on Google...lol.

Last edited:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Three pieces of advice:
a) switch to LEDs to reduce the need to do this again
b) do both sides at once, because when one fails, the other has the same power-on hours and is probably going to fail soon
c) make sure you get the right bulb type (some Subarus use 7443CK bulbs, not standard 7443s, which makes it easy to screw up and trigger a fault)...see also https://jdmastarblog.com/2016/04/07/31577443-ck-vs-standard-socket/

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Three pieces of advice:
a) switch to LEDs to reduce the need to do this again
b) do both sides at once, because when one fails, the other has the same power-on hours and is probably going to fail soon
c) make sure you get the right bulb type (some Subarus use 7443CK bulbs, not standard 7443s, which makes it easy to screw up and trigger a fault)...see also https://jdmastarblog.com/2016/04/07/31577443-ck-vs-standard-socket/
LEDs are fine for brake lights and running lights but can be a PITA for turn signals. You will usually get a hyper flash if you don't install load resistors. Also LEDs are no more and possibly less reliable than incandescents in my experience. Sure theres no filament to burn out but the led drivers get flaky and load resistors go bad. To be fair the backside of the tail lights on my truck are far more exposed to the elements than in a Subaru and get direct road spray but I've already replaced one pair of the bulbs and all 4 resistors within a couple of years.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
The taillights are just 2 screws to remove the housing. There is a pressure clip too, so just pull softly. Unplug the harness and take out the bad bulb, put the new one in, then reassemble. 5 min and your done.

Reactions: BC.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I took to YouTube to find out how to change the headlights on my Malibu. The one I used featured a seven-year-old describing and demonstrating how to do it. He made it look a lot easier than it actually was. By the time that kid grows up he'll be able to rebuild an aircraft carrier by himself.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well to change my battery, I had to take the windshield wipers off, then the cowling underneath. Once you resign yourself to the absurdity, it’s not that bad, but still.

Worse are stainless caps on lug nuts. It’s a virtual guarantee that use of impact guns will work the sheet metal towards the corners. So if you have your tires rotated a few times it’s likely you’ll end up with a nut that’s too big for the lug wrench. If pounding on oversize sockets doesn’t work, you’ve got to cut and chisel them off.

Sponsor

Staff online