• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changed and/or Discontinued Skis ... End of Season Bargains?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anyone here tried '18 Monster 98 in 191 length? How scary are they? I'm 190, 6,3, pretty aggressive, like high speed GS arcs through crud, smaller bumbs etc.
Skis I liked:
Line Supernatural 100 in 186 - found them easy and fun on both coasts.
Volkl Mantra in 191 was pretty manageable and versatile
Elan Olympus Mons 191 - nice, but shines in really deep and open conditions.
Moment Bibby Pro 190 - great soft snow ski, was my daily driver when I lived closer to mountains.

Many people consider Monster 98 in 184 as a lot of ski, so 191 should be for immortals? I've heard they softened the tips and added more rocker.

My daily drivers are Monster 88's in 184cm and I tested the 98's in 177cm and they were good so I see absolutely no need for the 191's. The 184's are perfect. I am your same size.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The list that you are asking for is hugely subjective. More than once I've witnessed a ski being revamped, and when I skied the pre pro or production model I found that what I really liked about the ski was engineered out.

My sense is that there are enough superb skis out there that waiting is a non-starter if you have a hole to fill.

Agreed on the Pinnacle. The developers of that ski are top notch.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm 5'8" and about 170 pounds now, but used to be much thinner when I smoked. The widest skis in my quiver are both 192cm Elan M777(87 under foot in that size) and M999s. I have zero problems handling either in trees or bumps, but admit they would be more of a challenge for folks who didn't grow up skiing on skis that long for decades. I usually end up on the longest ski available in whatever model I purchase.

It's the same thing every year at the end of the season and over the summer. The vast majority of the skis left on clearance are either under 165cm or over 190cm, mostly under 165cm.

Robik

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I just got a pair of of '17 monster 98's in 184. I was looking for a replacement for older non-rockered mantra. Wow these things are stable and track with zero speed limit. I have zero idea why you would want the 191's. I'd snatch up a pair of 88's if I didn't enjoy my rev 85's.
I'm little tight on a budget and found them at reasonable price. How tall/heavy are you?

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
6'0 200. I considered mounting them forward a bit based on reading, but went with the line.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking about picking up some fatter skis for my wife. She's the furthest thing from a gear head you could imagine, and has no interest in being part of the buying process, but she got on some La Ninas at Alta for a pow day and had a great time so I'd like to pick up a second pair for her.

Her current skis are Roxy something or others - 90mm, 170cm, twin tip, with traditional camber and maybe a slight amount of rocker. She's 5'8" and around 160lbs. She's a good skier, and will ski pretty much anything I will, but she skis it pretty slowly.

I think I'm probably looking for something 105-ish (to be a bit more versatile than full on pow skis) and low 170s (the La Ninas she was on were 169 - the 177s would have been fine for her, but she thought they looked too big).

Any suggestions for bargains out there?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'm thinking about picking up some fatter skis for my wife. She's the furthest thing from a gear head you could imagine, and has no interest in being part of the buying process, but she got on some La Ninas at Alta for a pow day and had a great time so I'd like to pick up a second pair for her.

Her current skis are Roxy something or others - 90mm, 170cm, twin tip, with traditional camber and maybe a slight amount of rocker. She's 5'8" and around 160lbs. She's a good skier, and will ski pretty much anything I will, but she skis it pretty slowly.

I think I'm probably looking for something 105-ish (to be a bit more versatile than full on pow skis) and low 170s (the La Ninas she was on were 169 - the 177s would have been fine for her, but she thought they looked too big).

Any suggestions for bargains out there?

Wade - if you are based in NY why not rent? Or are you out West 30+ days a year?

A strategy that I'd recommend is on your next trip out west have your wife book a day long intermediate group lesson on a non-Holiday weekday. It will probably end up being herself and maybe a few other people in the group (I often find that the most profound learning takes place in smaller groups of like ability). It may be that an instructor will unlock something that is / is not happening with your wife's movement patterns that will allow her to ski more efficiently.

90 underfoot, in her current ski, seems like plenty. I'd classify a 105 as a full-on pow ski suitable for mainly heli or cat skiing. My go-to touring ski is 95 underfoot and my widest front side ski is 82 underfoot. You could purchase that new ski for her, but what you will likely find is if she does unlock efficiencies (though chance or coaching) and becomes a stronger technical skier she will gravitate towards narrower skis, not wider.

Enjoy.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wade - if you are based in NY why not rent? Or are you out West 30+ days a year?

A strategy that I'd recommend is on your next trip out west have your wife book a day long intermediate group lesson on a non-Holiday weekday. It will probably end up being herself and maybe a few other people in the group (I often find that the most profound learning takes place in smaller groups of like ability). It may be that an instructor will unlock something that is / is not happening with your wife's movement patterns that will allow her to ski more efficiently.

90 underfoot, in her current ski, seems like plenty. I'd classify a 105 as a full-on pow ski suitable for mainly heli or cat skiing. My go-to touring ski is 95 underfoot and my widest front side ski is 82 underfoot. You could purchase that new ski for her, but what you will likely find is if she does unlock efficiencies (though chance or coaching) and becomes a stronger technical skier she will gravitate towards narrower skis, not wider.

Enjoy.

Thanks for your response, Marty.

We do 10 to 13 days skiing out west each year. I thought I might pick her up some wider skis given she enjoyed them during the massive powder week we just had in Utah.

Perhaps I'm underselling my wife's ability. She definitely doesn't need an intermediate group lesson. She skis very well, and skis in steep, difficult terrain - she just doesn't like to ski as quickly as I do (she's clearly smarter than I am). We've had a couple of private lessons with @Bob Barnes and usually take a private, or some type of advanced / expert small group lesson when we travel. We both enjoy challenging ourselves and both enjoy working to improve our skiing. By way of an example, some of the more rowdy stuff she's enjoyed skiing on our last few trips has included the Deep Temerity trees and Highlands Bowl at Aspen Highlands, Hanging Valley as Snowmass, STH and Berry Berry Steep at Snowbird, and a few of the steeper lines in Catherine's Area at Alta. She's also very happy to ski mellower off piste lines, and will ski groomers if that's what the group is doing, but groomers aren't really what she enjoys skiing.

I ski a 108 waist ski as my go to western travel ski, and I find it works pretty well on firmer snow, pretty well in full on powder, and it excels in between those two extremes in the soft left over snow and crud we wind up skiing most of the time when we head west. It's entirely possible that 105 is wider than she "needs" for the type of skiing we usually do when we travel, but I think for her style of skiing, it would work well enough at either end of the conditions spectrum, and like my skis, I think she'd enjoy it more than her current skis for all the in between days.

We could definitely rent skis for her if the conditions warrant it (we did that on the last trip), but if I can find something that will work well for her at a good price (say, <$500), it'll just about pay for itself in one trip. Hopefully something will pop up in the end of season sales that will fit and that she'll enjoy skiing.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
It would be great to revive this thread now that information is becoming available about the 2018/2019 skis. Tomorrow is the start of February, so it won't be long until "end of season" bargains show up!

Now that we are in mid-March, would love to hear what people are finding in end-of-season sales that are particularly noteworthy deals!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Now that we are in mid-March, would love to hear what people are finding in end-of-season sales that are particularly noteworthy deals!

Might be already too late on a lot of skis but Corbetts.com has 2017/18 skis on for 30-40% off and listings are in Canadian $. Head Attack2 13 bindings on for $140 Canadian which is a great deal!

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Might be already too late on a lot of skis but Corbetts.com has 2017/18 skis on for 30-40% off and listings are in Canadian $. Head Attack2 13 bindings on for $140 Canadian which is a great deal!
Picked up anpair along with 2017/18 Head Monster 83 in 184 cm for 505 usd all in.

Sponsor

Staff online