• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changed and/or Discontinued Skis ... End of Season Bargains?

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
As is the case every year, the product development life cycle brings with it changes in some perfectly good skis ... sometimes the changes are for the better, sometimes not so much! In any event, what are some of the best 2017 skis that have been changed or discontinued for 2018 and may end up being a great closeout bargain? As just one set of examples, skis like the Cochise, Bonafide and Brahma from Blizzard have been changed for next year ... while the Latigo has been discontinued.

In the opinion of the esteemed experts here on Pugski, which of these skis is worth spending the extra money on for the updated 2018 model, and which are the "grab them while you can" candidates?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As is the case every year, the product development life cycle brings with it changes in some perfectly good skis ... sometimes the changes are for the better, sometimes not so much! In any event, what are some of the best 2017 skis that have been changed or discontinued for 2018 and may end up being a great closeout bargain? As just one set of examples, skis like the Cochise, Bonafide and Brahma from Blizzard have been changed for next year ... while the Latigo has been discontinued.

In the opinion of the esteemed experts here on Pugski, which of these skis is worth spending the extra money on for the updated 2018 model, and which are the "grab them while you can" candidates?
Great question...Let me work on a list.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier

Great idea for a thread. I've been thinking of grabbing some Pinnacle 105s, to pair with my Enforcer 93s, if I see them for a bargain somewhere. I've been wondering if there's something similar but a little wider that I might also find for a great price. (Feedback on that pairing is welcome btw).

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Should the list be...

Example:

K2 Pinnacle 95: BUY NOW
--or--
K2 Pinnacle 95: WAIT
That would certainly be straightforward and easy enough. From my perspective, I think the format is less important than the information. It's hard to keep track/make sense of marketing puffery vs. substantive change with so much noise from the manufacturers. I'm appreciative of anything the Pugski community can provide!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Please add a good resort powder ski to this list. I'm covered most days with my Laser AX's and Motive 95's. But it would be nice to have a powder ski in the quiver too if I could find it at a bargain. (Since it will get little use)

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Phil, you could also do "neutral" comments? And link to your review? Ooooh. Such possibilities!

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
As someone who is looking to add a ski to the middle of my quiver in the 85-90 range I love this concept. Always looking for a bargain!

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Great idea for a thread. I've been thinking of grabbing some Pinnacle 105s, to pair with my Enforcer 93s, if I see them for a bargain somewhere. I've been wondering if there's something similar but a little wider that I might also find for a great price. (Feedback on that pairing is welcome btw).

I was in the REI flagship store in Denver last week. They had a ton of Pinnacle 105's on sale for somewhere in the mid $300 range (forget the exact price). Might be worth a phone call.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Agree with the Pinnacle 95 assessment. Good ski going away... Dynastar Powertrack 89. Rossi E-84/88/100... NGT only. Snap this year's up. Women, buy this year's men's Rossi E-84/88/100. The women's will be the same next season, just with NGT. Head Monster, next years is softer. If you've demoed this years and like it, get it. This years Kastles... buy. Again, I know a shop that has two pairs of Rossi Hero Masters for $500 a pair. I'm blown away that no one in the local beer league or ski school haven't snapped these up. A stunningly great deal!

Skis worth waiting for? Blizzard Brahma, Bonafide, and Bodacious. Head Monster 98 and Kore series. Rossi 7's. The only skis that I haven't had time to ride that I'm really interested to give a go are some of the new Dynastar Legends.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rode a chair this week with a guy who had the new Legend X88 underfoot.
This pic shows off the amount of tip. X88 have the green binding.
The top-sheet looked very classy in person.

dynastar2018-legend1__fit_670x502.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blizzard Latigo - Buy now!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I would say, If you can find a good deal on these and you like stable skis for all mountain use in a variety of snow conditions:

Monster 88: Buy Now :D
Blizzard Bonafide Buy Now :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Armada:
Victa/Invictus: Buy Now
Trace/Tracer: Wait

Atomic:
Redsters: Wait
Vantage X: Buy Now
Vantage: Buy Now
Backlands: Buy Now

Blizzard:
Black Pearl Series (78/88/98): Wait
Latigo: Buy Now
Brahma/Bonafide: Wait
Sheeva/Rustler: Wait

Dynastar:
Legend: Wait

Fischer:
Curv: Wait
Ranger: Buy Now
Buy Now

Head:
SuperShape: Buy Now
Intense: Buy Now
Monster: Buy Now
Kore: Wait

Kastle:
RX: Wait
LX: Wait
FX: Buy Now
MX: Buy Now
BMX: Buy Now

K2:
Charger Collection: Buy Now
iKonic: Wait
Luv Collection: Buy Now
Pinnacle Collection: Wait (except 88, carryover)

Line:
Supernatural: Buy Now
Sick Day: Wait

Rossignol:
Temptation/Experience: Buy Now
7 Series (Sky/Soul/Super): Wait

Stockli:
Laser: Buy Now
Stormrider: Buy Now

Volkl:
RTM: Wait
Yumi: Buy Now
Kendo/Kenja: Buy Now
Mantra: Buy Now

I will add more as needed to get filled in.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I would say, If you can find a good deal on these and you like stable skis for all mountain use in a variety of snow conditions:

Monster 88: Buy Now :D
Blizzard Bonafide Buy Now :D

IMHO, the new Bonafide is worth the wait. The current monster 88 is a very good ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
still say the Pinnacle 88 is one of the most overlooked ski's that would be a great choice for a lot of skiers.
I agree. The Pinnacle line, in general, skis really well but no one seems to know about the skis.