• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Change in BSL, need to remount?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi, My current boot has a BSL of 320 (27.5 size). At some point in the next 1-2 years I will get a new boot (properly fitted) which will most likely have a different BSL (about 5mm less BSL). Will my bindings require a remount? (Marker Griffon 13 ID) Looked up specs and could not find info on this.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
You should be ok if 5mm, you will be a hair forward of the line asssuming your bindings were mounted correct. No big deal.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
-5 mm BSL will move you forward 2.5 mm, all other things being equal.

Don't give it a moment's thought.

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yesss :yahoo:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I purchased a ski with Marker Griffon bindings, and, my boots were 10 mm less in BSL. The Griffon heel was able to be moved forward to accept my boot without a remount. I sold the skis to someone with a 10mm less BSL that me, he had to have a remount. So assuming your skis were mounted with standard Marker template spacing, you should be good to go. My Head/Tyrolia Freeflex bindings have the same downsizing ability.

I would not assume that your new boots will be 5mm less in BSL, as, boot length only changes on full sizes. The shell of your 27.5 is probably the same shell used in a 27. You will know the actual numbers only when you select the new boot.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The rule of thumb is: +/- 1 mondo size (~10-12mm) from where the bindings were mounted. i.e. Mounted to 27 means a 26 or 28 from *most* manufacturers will fit.

This rule of thumb does not apply to:
- Look Pivot / Rossignol FKS bindings.
- various touring bindings.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I went from a 305 to a 300 BSL with my new Atomic Hawx Ultras. No remounting. I did notice that I felt over the tips of my skis more in the new boots -- given the explanations above I now know why.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went from a 305 to a 300 BSL with my new Atomic Hawx Ultras. No remounting. I did notice that I felt over the tips of my skis more in the new boots -- given the explanations above I now know why.
2.5cm will make less of a difference than the Ultra just being a very responsive boot.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
2.5cm will make less of a difference than the Ultra just being a very responsive boot.

Yes -- it made a very good first impression. I want to get a few days on them before I do a write up, but they provide so much more control and quickness compared to the 7 year old Hawx 120s they replaced.

Sponsor