• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chamois

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
What are you guys wearing to keep your ass from hurting? I use a chamois that's past it's prime and needs to be replaced.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I agree with Josh. Chamois was originally about evacuating perspiration from your skin to prevent chafing. Not padding. That's from the seat and putting miles in.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I have so many, you have to have one that agrees with you, they are definitely not all the same and you can tell when one isn't right. Too bad they are expensive (or at least can be) and you can't really return them. I use different ones for different rides too, I have a thicker one I'll use early season when my butt isn't broken in yet. On MTB, usually thinner is better since you are standing so much anyway.

TS
surfacehoar

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I proposed this thread because I went into a bike shop yesterday and they weren't even carrying chamois except for bibs and shorts for the roadies. It's clear they are trending out. I think the original Chamois is a little too old school for me. I ride about 3-4x per week, 2-4hrs per ride. My road bike is the most comfortable, my trail bike isn't too bad, but the seat on my XC bike is brutal. I've thought about switching the seat, but I ride it only when my trail bike is down for maintenance; which was yesterday.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What are you guys wearing to keep your ass from hurting? I use a chamois that's past it's prime and needs to be replaced.

Your terminology confuses me. I think what you are talking about is what I generically call "bike shorts." Bike shorts have a chamois sewn in. So, you don't use a chamois separate from the shorts unless maybe you are going back many decades.

Not long ago there was no such thing as "mountain bike shorts" unless you were an actual downhiller and needed another layer of protection over your bike shorts for riding exceptionally stupid stuff. ogwink
Otherwise bikers wore bike shorts, be they bib- or non-bib.

In the last ten years or so the bike clothing industry has arranged for it to become increasingly uncool, especially for men, to go mountain biking, even cross-country, wearing bike shorts. Instead what is cool is to wear ridiculously huge clown shorts over ... something, thus ensuring that your two layers will make you EXTRA overheated on that climb. Often the "something" is - duh - bike shorts, even if they go by some other, cooler-sounding name, like "removable padded liner."

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
The best thing about chamois liners/shorts is the lack of seams in rub areas. Really you should be riding sans undies. If you have legit non-seamed wicking underwear that can work just as well. But generally, liner shorts and baggies on top as Tony says, or plain old spandex with chamois/synthetic chamois and no underwear is your best bet to comfort. A LOT of pressure goes on two little points where you sit and a good seat that seems "hard", but is the proper width for your sit bones with good shell suspension is the best saddle for you.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Your terminology confuses me. I think what you are talking about is what I generically call "bike shorts." Bike shorts have a chamois sewn in. So, you don't use a chamois separate from the shorts unless maybe you are going back many decades.

Not long ago there was no such thing as "mountain bike shorts" unless you were an actual downhiller and needed another layer of protection over your bike shorts for riding exceptionally stupid stuff. ogwink
Otherwise bikers wore bike shorts, be they bib- or non-bib.

In the last ten years or so the bike clothing industry has arranged for it to become increasingly uncool, especially for men, to go mountain biking, even cross-country, wearing bike shorts. Instead what is cool is to wear ridiculously huge clown shorts over ... something, thus ensuring that your two layers will make you EXTRA overheated on that climb. Often the "something" is - duh - bike shorts, even if they go by some other, cooler-sounding name, like "removable padded liner."

I actually hem my baggies..... when I wear them though I typically dont wear chamios underneath if I am wearing them because like you said too hot.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
In what way? I have two pair of the Free Aero Race version of the shorts @scott43 posted and they are comfortable. They are definitely made for skinny Italian men so definitely go up a size.

Kinda knicker but not quite knicker.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually hem my baggies

Well there you go. Maybe if I did that, after cutting six inches of fabric off altogether, I wouldn't look four feet tall wearing them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think the original Chamois is a little too old school for me..

Kucharik offer like 3 different pads that you can have stitched into whatever short you want, from Lycra to flannel :huh: -assuming you don't like the short and knicker options they offer.

Not sure what you mean by trending out. There are gobs of XC and gravel shorts out there, quite a few of them call for separate undershorts:
https://www.showerspass.com/collections/mens-cycling-shorts
https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-dirt-craft-mountain-bike-shorts-11-half-inch/24577.html
https://ca-store.sugoi.com/products/u350030m-off-grid-short
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/shop/men/shorts-bibs/bibs/mountain/mens_journey_short/p/19111901

Last edited:
TS
surfacehoar

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have been wearing these: DeFeet UnDBrief.They are made of mesh and really breathable. They function as a compression short and are nice and supportive where you need it. Despite being a made in USA product, the craftsmanship is shit.

I actually wear a bathing suit as my outer. It's made of a lightweight stretch fabric. Has zippered pockets,a drawstring waist and fits proper without excess bagginess. Plus they are all torn up from crashing in the past which serves as a good reminder not to fall off when I put them on.

VitalMTB.com - says Chamois are out for 2018. The store I frequent stopped carrying the DEfeet as well as the Mavic option. They've actually replaced the shelf space with a display for bike seats.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
New winter tight time. Anyone here used both De Marchi and RedWhite can do a quick comparo? Only interested in chamois differences.

Sponsor

Staff online