• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chairlift chat starter of the day

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I attempted to be efficient yesterday as I was skiing single by joining another single as we went thru the gate. I asked if he was riding single, if so I’d like to ride the chair with him. He turned around and told me to F-Off, he spends enough here and he rides single. The lifty then suggested he double up as he loaded, he told the lifty to shut the f-up and do his job. I think it’s going to be a long season at this rate..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I attempted to be efficient yesterday as I was skiing single by joining another single as we went thru the gate. I asked if he was riding single, if so I’d like to ride the chair with him. He turned around and told me to F-Off, he spends enough here and he rides single. The lifty then suggested he double up as he loaded, he told the lifty to shut the f-up and do his job. I think it’s going to be a long season at this rate..
:geek:Where was this? I would have had to seriously resist the urge to follow him and push him into a tree. If I was the lifty I would have called patrol and had them waiting for him at the top.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

haha...that’s awesome. Heck of a guy. You were probably lucky you didn’t ride up with him.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, I'm baffled at that kind of attitude. Dude's got a lotta hate
I love riding up with younger kids, they'll talk a blue streak about anything.
Those are the absolute best chair lift chats.
I recall riding with some kids who were in a ski school group when the instructor asked for an adult to ride with a few of her kids. I know, its shocking that she assumed I was an adult!!!
Anyway, the one kid had a bunch of stickers on his helmet so we had a sticker conversation. I asked if I could add a sticker to his helmet, and his other two buddies didn't have stickers on their helmets but then they wanted one too.
By the time we got to the top of the lift I had Pugski.com stickered all three helmets.

Later that day one of the kids who started with no stickers on his helmet came into the ski shop with his helmet to find goggles because he had evidently lost his goggles.
I said, "Hey I rode the chair with you today!"
It ended up being a fun conversation with his parents about the fun chat about stickers on the chair.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Wow, that topic changed fast!

Since we ride eight person gondolas a lot, my conversation starter is asking where everyone’s from and making it into a contest to see who is from the furthest away.

My ski movie line is from Aspen extreme.
“The skiing is the easy part“

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree - that kind of behavior is unbelievable in a sport where we're all just trying to have fun. I'm pretty sure that in most (all?) resorts that sort of thing is grounds for having one's lift pass pulled.
Right???
Skiing is fun, we should act like it!

Wow, that topic changed fast!

Since we ride eight person gondolas a lot, my conversation starter is asking where everyone’s from and making it into a contest to see who is from the furthest away.

My ski movie line is from Aspen extreme.
“The skiing is the easy part“
Which spot in the gondola is your favorite? Its the little things. :D

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
:geek:Where was this? I would have had to seriously resist the urge to follow him and push him into a tree. If I was the lifty I would have called patrol and had them waiting for him at the top.
haha...that’s awesome. Heck of a guy. You were probably lucky you didn’t ride up with him.

Just one of those early season prick's. I doubt we will see him again, its too cold and off the beaten path to get here... The lifty may have called about the guy, its hard to say as he was training a new girl and she was just appalled. I think he was just trying to keep the line moving as there was several slowdowns and stops as people fell off the chairs just after take-off, lol. We get a handful of these folks every year. I witnessed a few of these instances last year. By January it seemed to subside. I saw him on the way down and he was not having a lot of fun in the hero snow conditions we had yesterday, so I just wrote it off as the usual self richious pricks with pent up anger.

It probably was good I didn't ride up with him, I consider myself a fairly social-normal guy out just having some fun. I usually enjoy riding up with new people and seeing where they are from, its all part of the experience.

Sorry if I took this thread off course. Let's get back on course.

I rode up with a guy yesterday who said he was in the Stowe ski school for 40 years. He said he normally doesn't free ski early season, but his wife invited her sister and brother in-law over to the house. So needless to say he said he had to go skiing and get out of the house and away from her family.

4ster

Instructor
Right???
Skiing is fun, we should act like it!

Which spot in the gondola is your favorite? Its the little things. :D
Window seat, facing forward till about 2PM after that I like my back to the sun. I have learned to be more flexible as we’ve gotten busier.
I do not like the left seat on a chairlift :huh:

sometimes on Sunday in Utah like today, I just take my fair share out of the middle…
B2657E21-EF8E-424A-8A00-AAA43CE8D35D.jpeg

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd have probably got on with him anyway just to piss him off some more. What a d-bag.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AKMINK and I had a good ride up today. 6 on the chair, young kid about 12 or 13, Ann, me, another fella, and two more. I was chatting with the guy next to me. The kid struck up a conversation with Ann and talked the whole way to the top with her. I could overhear some of it. He was glad to be there, having a great time, had soccer at 1 so he couldn't stay long but that's ok because the Chutes weren't open, the snow in the trees was great, etc. I wanted to find his parents and thank them for raising such a great young man. Totally polite, no cussing, didn't mind talking to us oldsters.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd have probably got on with him anyway just to piss him off some more. What a d-bag.

I know that's what I would do. Love poking those guys with a stick and watch them self destruct. Must be the New Yorker in me.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know that's what I would do. Love poking those guys with a stick and watch them self destruct. Must be the New Yorker in me.
If he's that awful in the lift line, he'll be that awful on the hill. No one needs that!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Am in the singles line 9/10 times during the season. You get an ability to read a group after awhile. I love riding up with younger kids, they'll talk a blue streak about anything.

I'm apparently scary or something... Instructors have asked me to shepherd kids up the lift numerous times and I invariably get the silent treatment.

"Hi! Are you having fun today?" < silence >
"Learning lots from your instructor?" < silence >
"Is this your first time to Stowe?" < silence >

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
After settling into a seat after loading may look towards the other person(s) and smile and or softly say hi. People that look happy and friendly more often will enjoy talking. Sizing up people anywhere in life for conversation is a skill and much is non-verbal we do sub-consciously. As someone that enjoys conversation, for conversation starters, I avoid making banal comments for little reason like "isn't the weather so nice today" or "where have you been skiing". And don't like to come off as a chatty person for no reason.

Instead may remain quiet maybe dealing with some gear for a bit and then if something I see on the slopes that catches my eye, may blurt out something that doesn't really need any response from another but does allow them to say something that depending on what may slide into a conversation. Stuff like watching a skier below, "nice turns" or looking at where wind is blowing snow, "nice patch of wind blown" or feeling a bit too warm, "need to unzip". There are endless things that might pop out and then there are plenty of times will ride the whole way quiet.

Friday rode quietly with a young woman going to UNR (Reno) and about half way up to the mid mountain, while a modest gust of wind began with high winds visible at the ridge line showing blowing snow, looking up chuckled blurting out "better down here in on Reut" (chair 11). She then said something and we eased into a nice conversation.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm apparently scary or something... Instructors have asked me to shepherd kids up the lift numerous times and I invariably get the silent treatment.

"Hi! Are you having fun today?" < silence >
"Learning lots from your instructor?" < silence >
"Is this your first time to Stowe?" < silence >

Most kids are taught not to talk to strangers.
I must say, you are stranger than most. :ogbiggrin:

Seriously, I am not a kid talker. Never was, never will be.
OTOH, Mamie and her sisters can talk to the kids forever. Sometimes I really have to suppress the urge to turn and say "Shuddap."

4ster

Instructor
I have had many lift rides where there is total silence the whole way even after someone has uttered an icebreaker. I have had other rides where the conversation never stops. Either way, I don’t think people should read anything into it.

Sponsor

Staff online