• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chairlift chat starter of the day

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While we were at Mt Rose today, skiing in an amazing bluebird day after a wet storm day from yesterday, I asked some random people on the chairlift....
If you were to pick a movie quote to describe your ski day today, what would it be?
E5A5B9EC-ED01-47C2-B630-20B3C9829421.JPG

I had a few fun responses.

One person quoted from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: Excellent

For me, it was a quote from Hot Dog the Movie, because today was Tuesdays in The Snow AKA T.i.T.S.
Kendo Yamamoto: [in Japanese] Hello. Your Tuesdays In The Snow are as beautiful as Mt. Fuji

Share your chairlift chat starter of the day.

*I'm thinking of a song version because movie quotes weren't easy to pull from people.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow! Tricia is the only other person I've ever seen wearing a whistle! Never leave home w/o it! Kudos guys!

I usually start w/ "Nice skis" or boots or duct tape... whatever they tend to be wearing.....

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While we were at Mt Rose today, skiing in an amazing bluebird day after a wet storm day from yesterday, I asked some random people on the chairlift....
If you were to pick a movie quote to describe your ski day today, what would it be?
View attachment 86245

I had a few fun responses.

One person quoted from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: Excellent

For me, it was a quote from Hot Dog the Movie, because today was Tuesdays in The Snow AKA T.i.T.S.
Kendo Yamamoto: [in Japanese] Hello. Your Tuesdays In The Snow are as beautiful as Mt. Fuji

Share your chairlift chat starter of the day.

*I'm thinking of a song version because movie quotes weren't easy to pull from people.

Completely off topic, but the 1st thing that stuck me about this photo is how much thinner you and especially Phil, look in your faces. WW has been a real win for you guys! Sorry for the topic interruption!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! Tricia is the only other person I've ever seen wearing a whistle! Never leave home w/o it! Kudos guys!

I usually start w/ "Nice skis" or boots or duct tape... whatever they tend to be wearing.....

+1 Similar from here. It's usually a compliment of some type, especially if they or someone under the lift, ski well
Also, the mild ask for directions, simple how-to, or their best/favorite run so far.
The comment "that run looks scary/tough" usually also gets some response.
For a random person on a bluebird day, "what a beautiful day" might get things going.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Completely off topic, but the 1st thing that stuck me about this photo is how much thinner you and especially Phil, look in your faces. WW has been a real win for you guys! Sorry for the topic interruption!
WW has been amazing for both of us.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My non-conversation starter from last season at Squaw: on a crowded day, I asked a family of four (mom, dad, two young teen daughters) if they minded if I joined them on the chair (just being polite, I thought). Dad's response, "It's a free country." They then ignored me, but chatted amongst themselves, the whole ride up. That was probably the least friendly group I've ever encountered in many decades of riding chairlifts. I'm somewhat shy, so I really couldn't recover from the guy's response to my initial question, and it was too late to bail and take the next chair.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My non-conversation starter from last season at Squaw: on a crowded day, I asked a family of four (mom, dad, two young teen daughters) if they minded if I joined them on the chair (just being polite, I thought). Dad's response, "It's a free country." They then ignored me, but chatted amongst themselves, the whole ride up. That was probably the least friendly group I've ever encountered in many decades of riding chairlifts. I'm somewhat shy, so I really couldn't recover from the guy's response to my initial question, and it was too late to bail and take the next chair.

You are way too nice.
It's amazing how many inconsiderate idiots are out there. Most don't realized your question is a formality.
I would have followed up to his remark with "Not really much of a choice here.". Then wave another single in with me. For me, no empty seats on a crowded day. That's why they have the singles line.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are way too nice.
It's amazing how many inconsiderate idiots are out there. Most don't realized your question is a formality.
I would have followed up to his remark with "Not really much of a choice here.". Then wave another single in with me. For me, no empty seats on a crowded day. That's why they have the singles line.
Most respond warmly, with a "Please, join us," and are friendly, though. This was a COLD group.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Most people are great on chairs. Some people are assholes thinking they should be private for them and their fam or buddies. I particularly like singling in on those in the latter group that are trying to monopolise a chair.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
My youngest has struggled with anxiety, especially as a younger teen. So yeah, they prefer when we get a chair to ourselves. But they agree that it isn't nice to leave empty seats on a busy day. We just do our best to line up so that they get the outside of the chair so they don't have to be social with those pesky friendly strangers. I on the other hand am one of those pesky strangers, so it all works out.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Promised my wife that I would try to try to be nicer to some of clueless/rude/incosiderate folks that share our lift accommodations during the season.

Failed to live up my promise as a single rider jumped in the middle of a full gondola car and preceded to whip out his cell phone drowning out all the quiet conversations. We all heard were he parked, what he had for breakfast and that he was riding the K-Y gondola. He hung up just before the top were I said "Here at Killington we considerate that very rude" His reply was "You got to do what you go to do.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My youngest has struggled with anxiety, especially as a younger teen. So yeah, they prefer when we get a chair to ourselves. But they agree that it isn't nice to leave empty seats on a busy day. We just do our best to line up so that they get the outside of the chair so they don't have to be social with those pesky friendly strangers. I on the other hand am one of those pesky strangers, so it all works out.
I have no problem at all with people who just want to be quiet; it was just this guy's response to my request to join their chair, followed by them ignoring me completely the whole ride up. It was uncomfortable.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like to try to start conversations on chairlifts; helps to pass the time, at least. I can usually tell when people want to be left alone. Same with airplanes, though now that every seat has a monitor or people have their devices, it's harder and harder to to so. I sound like a huge grump but I really think personal screens are going to be the death of humanity.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Am in the singles line 9/10 times during the season. You get an ability to read a group after awhile. I love riding up with younger kids, they'll talk a blue streak about anything. I feel bad for teens when I slide onto an open spot, cuz who really wants to share a lift with a dinosaur? It's a rare lift where some form of conversation doesn't happen, even if it's just Hey, nice day!

I have very limited gondola experience, but does anyone else find a gondola ride a lot like public transit? Everyone looking into space or a device pretending they aren't there?

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have very limited gondola experience, but does anyone else find a gondola ride a lot like public transit?
Well in Zermatt at least I would agree that it’s like riding the Tokyo Metro in rush hour but without the intrinsic politeness of the Japanese. Having said that, I landed up standing next to a snowboarder from DC who objected to being shoved around and we bonded by eye - I later met her on the mountain and we did a few runs and ate our lunch together which made an otherwise singles day for me a bit more companionable.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have very limited gondola experience, but does anyone else find a gondola ride a lot like public transit? Everyone looking into space or a device pretending they aren't there?

Depends on location and crowd.
The Aussies at W/B are generally happy and friendly. Lots of good laughs.
Ajax, quiet, polite, well manner private conversations.
Mammoth, Good laughs.
Funi at Squaw, private conversation when crowded. A party when it is half empty.
Stratton, good place to trade barbs and top each other stories.
Killington, the older skiers are usually quiet. The young ones are a riot.

Sponsor