• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My brother's birthday gift to me. I don't know too many people in the US who like these, so I usually don't share.
IMG_4328.JPG

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
did a Basque dinner a couple of weeks ago in Winnemucca at a place called The Martin Hotel http://themartinhotel.com/ What a really good meal! One of the many memorable parts was the salad, lettuce tossed in a very lite vinaigrette and covered with hot ranch beans. A bit odd but it really works.

If you are on the Reno to SLC run, stop in and try it. Go very hungry and spend some time. Fascinating culture, perhaps the foundation for French cooking.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
did a Basque dinner a couple of weeks ago in Winnemucca at a place called The Martin Hotel http://themartinhotel.com/ What a really good meal! One of the many memorable parts was the salad, lettuce tossed in a very lite vinaigrette and covered with hot ranch beans. A bit odd but it really works.

If you are on the Reno to SLC run, stop in and try it. Go very hungry and spend some time. Fascinating culture, perhaps the foundation for French cooking.
I stopped at a Basque sandwich place in Elko last year. A woman in line behind us (popular place) was of Basque descent and gave us the run-down. It was really good!

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yay! I didn't know there was a dedicated food thread! I consider eating my #1 talent in life...

I love alfajores too. I think there might be different kinds. The ones I'm familiar with are those that my mom's Peruvian friend would make for us. I don't think I've tried any better than hers. I love the toasted caramel stuff in the middle and the delicate yet dense butter-cookie texture of the actual cookie.

The Basque know how to live. We visited San Sebastien a few years ago and OMG. It's heaven for anyone into food.

Tonight I'm re-heating some squash soup I made from a variety of pumpkins and squashes I collected from my CSA over last season. There is a bit of curry in there. Peter thinks it tastes like mulligatawny soup.

Tomorrow night I plan on cooking this, just because I have all the ingredients handy:

http://www.double-thyme.com/blog/2014/9/6/conchigliette-yogurt-peas-pine-nuts

I've made it once before and I would say it's like a Mediterranean style pesto-y mac n' cheese. I recommend.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pumba , yep there are different kinds of alfajores. Before I went back to Argentina I only knew about the Havanna ones (that relatives would bring when they visited) and the ones my mom made (she calls them alfajores de maicena). My mom's are really dry, because she makes the cookie part pretty thick! But I like them anyway. When I visited Argentina I tried various brands sold in the kiosks in Bs Aires, but none were as good as the Havanna ones. They even have Havanna boutiques.
I haven't had dinner yet, so I'm hungry. I'm in Tahoe and we have some leftover empanadas I might have if my nephew doesn't want to go out. Your dinner sounds healthier.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I stopped at a Basque sandwich place in Elko last year. A woman in line behind us (popular place) was of Basque descent and gave us the run-down. It was really good!

Basque here - any questions?

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Pumba , yep there are different kinds of alfajores. Before I went back to Argentina I only knew about the Havanna ones (that relatives would bring when they visited) and the ones my mom made (she calls them alfajores de maicena). My mom's are really dry, because she makes the cookie part pretty thick! But I like them anyway. When I visited Argentina I tried various brands sold in the kiosks in Bs Aires, but none were as good as the Havanna ones. They even have Havanna boutiques.
I haven't had dinner yet, so I'm hungry. I'm in Tahoe and we have some leftover empanadas I might have if my nephew doesn't want to go out. Your dinner sounds healthier.

You’ll have to save me one of those Havana’s! I’ll trade you with the Peruvian type...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
WTF is it with chestnuts in the US? Three bags of nuts and I got maybe 8-10 edible ones. The rest - stringy with mold, hardened to flint inside, or riddled with worm.

Is there any other product sold in groceries where maybe 10% of the product is usable? Why doesn't anyone complain about this?

Yes, I know we're two months past the season now. I'm pissed off because there's not a given Christmas when I can get enough for 4 people without buying 10lbs+ and spending hours with a knife sorting good from bad.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
WTF is it with chestnuts in the US? Three bags of nuts and I got maybe 8-10 edible ones. The rest - stringy with mold, hardened to flint inside, or riddled with worm.

Is there any other product sold in groceries where maybe 10% of the product is usable? Why doesn't anyone complain about this?

Yes, I know we're two months past the season now. I'm pissed off because there's not a given Christmas when I can get enough for 4 people without buying 10lbs+ and spending hours with a knife sorting good from bad.
Didn't the American Chestnut trees have a blight a few years ago so good Chestnuts are hard to find and they are very $$$.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Didn't the American Chestnut trees have a blight a few years ago so good Chestnuts are hard to find and they are very $$$.

Hmmm, not sure about that - the big blight was 100 years ago?

Anyhow, the principal question of "why are bags and bags of chestnuts completely unfit to eat still being sold?" remains.

Sponsor

Staff online