• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20170102_181336.jpg Back to my Sicilian roots. With real anchovies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Had an extra pack of cheese from a cannibalized mac and cheese box recipe. I nuked it and poured it on some tortillas then poured salsa on that. Nice plate of Magyver'd nachos.

James

Out There
Instructor
I made a lovely 15 minute sauted chicken breast with[Bold] Ragu spaghetti sauce [/Bold]and rotini with a side green beans..paired with a lovely Oct 15, 2016 Labatt 50..mmmm....
Dude, just open a can of this. About $2 for 28 ozs. Or go chunky. Or get the whole peeled tomatoes and crush with your hands.
image.jpg
First attempt at pizza. Used a piece of plywood for a peel. Pizza stone, oven at max 550F, stone super heated by broiler a few minutes before. Dough made from Flour, Water, Salt,Yeast book using levain (aka starter). Mozzarella from Bennington,VT plus a little grated Parmiggiano-Reggiano, and much morr thickly grated provalone. About 4oz of cheese per 12 inch pizza. Sauce just whole peeled tomatoes quickly blended with olive oil, salt, some sauteed minced garlic, fresh basil, a little hot red pepper, black pepper.
image.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Does anyone near you do an itailan-style (not danish) fontina?
200_s.gif

Don't know. What are you recommending?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
shredded italian fontina rocks in tandem with mozzarella as a pizza cheese. especially mushroom pizza.

just remember: brown rind not red wax

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
shredded italian fontina rocks in tandem with mozzarella as a pizza cheese. especially mushroom pizza.

just remember: brown rind not red wax

Fontina val d'Aosta (from ski country, btw) is more like a raclette or gruyere than that tasteless Danish crap.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol, at our local prices there's like $15 in pignolis in that pan

These are the cheap ones. Some are even from China. Probably more like $1.50 worth there.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First attempt at pizza. Used a piece of plywood for a peel.

I like your style, James. Way to go. Looks yummy.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
These are really good, too. I like them slightly better than the Pastene.

51cUAq1CgZL._SY400_.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
^^^Yes. But more expensive? We are replacing Ragu.
The pizza crazies like this brand from California:
bianco_crushed.jpg

http://shop.baiapasta.com/product/bianco-di-napoli-crushed-tomatoes/

Now if one can muster squashing some garlic, sauteeing in a pan and combining we're getting there.

If not, just drain the pasta, save a scoch of the water, throw pasta back in pot, pour some of the can of crushed tomatoes and a little pasta water over and mix. Only 1 pot to clean.

Lesson of the day: if you have to wash spider webs and dust off plywood, throw it in the 550 deg oven briefly. It dries quickly and no one will know...

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
View attachment 17954 Back to my Sicilian roots. With real anchovies.
Oh, tell me about the anchoivies!
What do you do with those?
Had a great meal in Naples once. Wandered into this restaraunt next to the dive I was staying in. Only person in there at the time. Ordered some sort of fish. This plate of little fried fish came out, skins and heads and all. Delicious! Don't know what they were.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, tell me about the anchoivies!
What do you do with those?
Had a great meal in Naples once. Wandered into this restaraunt next to the dive I was staying in. Only person in there at the time. Ordered some sort of fish. This plate of little fried fish came out, skins and heads and all. Delicious! Don't know what they were.

Marcella Hazan for technique. These are the anchovies. Packed in salt, never oil.

20161121_182035.jpg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20170828_160822_HDR_resized.jpg
I got home a little early today , so to use up the rest of a big box of Romanella tomatoes, I am making tomato sauce. Fresh herbs from the garden. Spaghetti tonight!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When on a ski trip, never cook without branding. Who is our Pugski Head rep? @markojp

FB_IMG_1519220991023.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online