• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat Tracks or Skootys?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends what bindings you have. Other option is replaceable soles that could be added to solid lug boots. There are options for people who don't want to deal with cumbersome external walking devices that are can be dirty and need addtional storage options when skiing.
So Phil: is replacement something I can do myself, or do I need a professional. Well, in some ways I always need a professional. No - that didn't come out right ...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
One thing nice about the Yaktrax is the material is softish and bouncy. With the well designed rocker the gait is really nice. I can easily run in a ski boot with it.

I've not seen the Sidas one in person, but it looks like a firmer material. The Sides also looks more durable.

I can't complain about the durability of my Yaktrax, but I 'm always expecting the strap between the heel and toe to eventually fail.

Anyone own both to compare the walk?

The Sidas Traction is a firmer material. I've never used the Yaktrax, but the Sidas product does have a "bevel" on the bottom that allows the boot to have rocker in the gait.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So Phil: is replacement something I can do myself, or do I need a professional. Well, in some ways I always need a professional. No - that didn't come out right ...
Depends what the starting point is. Most manufactures have GripWalk options for their recent boot designs. For them, it is uscrewing the DIN versions, and installing the GripWalk option. They, you just have to make sure that binding is GW compatible and if there is a toe height adjustment, that is set.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Depends what bindings you have. Other option is replaceable soles that could be added to solid lug boots. There are options for people who don't want to deal with cumbersome external walking devices that are can be dirty and need addtional storage options when skiing.

Oh, I have no interest at all in dealing with these things, but this season is all about compromise. I normally boot up in the lodge and eat there too. I have no idea how many times I'll be walking back and forth to my car. If this season is relatively dry, this could all be on pavement and gravel, so probably not the best thing for 7 year old boots.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends what the starting point is. Most manufactures have GripWalk options for their recent boot designs. For them, it is uscrewing the DIN versions, and installing the GripWalk option. They, you just have to make sure that binding is GW compatible and if there is a toe height adjustment, that is set.
How about for the Technica inserts that you installed on my boots?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How about for the Technica inserts that you installed on my boots?
We can swap them over easy. I will send you a set of GripWalk soles. Unscrew yours and put these on.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, but I'm not sure that my bindings are grip walk compatible (and my current inserts are far from worn out - I am just planning for the future to see if I should maybe use my stupid cat tracks)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, but I'm not sure that my bindings are grip walk compatible (and my current inserts are far from worn out - I am just planning for the future to see if I should maybe use my stupid cat tracks)
The Salomons are...what else do you have?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
aatack 13 on my fischer motives

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
hahah, man you can't win. lol, I'd try the Medium first and gently stretch it rather than attempting to get the large to shrink.
I messaged the company and they told me they run big. I got the medium and they fit perfect.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The issue with the Sidas things is you can't put them in a jacket pocket as you ski. They are BIG. So... better have a ski/snowboard lock that can secure these to a rack outside.

I have had both sets of Sides tracks stolen at different mountains. They are just too big for the pockets on most women's jackets. I just ordered my 3rd set and I will be locking those to the fence!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have had both sets of Sides tracks stolen at different mountains. They are just too big for the pockets on most women's jackets. I just ordered my 3rd set and I will be locking those to the fence!

Sorry to hear that. The Sidas rubber is thick enough and firm enough to discourage theft off a lock cable. So definitely go with the locking option and you should be fine. It's working so well for me that I'm seriously abandoning the idea of the lodge boot-up ritual unless I have my Head plugs that are extra difficult to get on/off. My Nordica GPX 130 and GP 140 are way easier to deal with car side. I'm very happy to have those options during the time of Covid. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Oh, I have no interest at all in dealing with these things, but this season is all about compromise. I normally boot up in the lodge and eat there too. I have no idea how many times I'll be walking back and forth to my car. If this season is relatively dry, this could all be on pavement and gravel, so probably not the best thing for 7 year old boots.
You need to use your rock boots for the dry low snow days and your good boots for the better coverage days..

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FYI,
the sidas ski traction device appear to be available via snowinn/trekinn AND in multiple colors. (spain based company iirc)

With exchange rate it actually comes out a little bit lower than US msrp preshipping.
I just ordered a pair, we will see if it actually makes it.

FYI,
I just received the Sidas from snowinn/trekinn a couple days back so it takes approx 2weeks shipping and they look good and solid and I got yellow.

The adjustment holes are marked in BSL mm in 10mm adjusment increment 260-350mm, and holds onto the Alpine DIN boot spec.
Has solid deep heavy duty lugs and along with the sole plate are 1/2 inch thick, and when little but not a huge amount of roll.

You can sandwich it over, and lock it with a cable lock through the loops in the heel/toe clips. Which if cut, would probably destroy the ability to easily clip onto the boot

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
also worth having a look at Sidas Ski boot traction, we stopped doing cat tracks as the price kept going up, the traction are a little more bulky but easier to put on and have a slight rocker on them
Just ordered a pair for my wife and myself. Thanks for the info.

suze

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have had the SkiSkooty protectors since 2017 and have absolutely loved them. They are very comfy to walk in/have a good rocker feel...I feel like I am wearing slippers. BUT, one of them cracked a few days ago in 2 places. I was using them in 10F weather so it is possible that caused the crack??:huh: I have only had 43 ski days in that time period, so that is the max number of times that they have been used - I am not even sure I used them every time I skied, because we had a few ski-in/ski-outs. So....that is quite disappointing. Another downside is that they ARE a bit bulky to carry in a pocket. I am short so having pocket space that is large enough is difficult. I am lucky that my tall husband has more and deeper pockets than I do, and he is nice enough to carry them for me. Sooo....bottom line is that they are quite comfy, very easy to put on/get off, easy to adjust for boot size, but bulky, and could be more durable.

Attachments

• broken skooty.jpg
    broken skooty.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 11

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cat tracks...cheap, effective, and fit in a jacket pocket.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cat tracks...cheap, effective, and fit in a jacket pocket.
I just normally take them off when I get to the lifts at the start of the day and place them at the base of a prominent tree or rock. Then at the end of the day I put them on again and off I go.

I’ve never had any stolen (touch wood) to date.

Sponsor

Staff online