• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Cat Skiing in Japan or what I've been up to the last 2 winters

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place, please let me know which is appropriate)

I've spent the last 2 winters guiding in a Cat skiing operation near Neaba, Niigata Japan.

When I say guiding, I mean I turned up expecting to work along side other guides in an existing operation.

BUT when I arrived I was presented with this (instructions not included)

FirstView-730x350.jpg

Which in the first season, I taught myself to drive an maintain the beast, surveyed the ski area that hadn't turned a lift in a decade and ended up with this

catski-1024x768.jpg

I think we had 10 days worth of customers the first season. Starting from Scratch I think the boss was happy.

In the autumn I returned gave the cat an overhaul, built a new cabin, better seats, heating etc.

Season 2

MikuniCatView-1024x768.jpg

The cat skiing area is an abandoned side area of Naeba, about 2 hours out of Tokyo.

We are 4km up an old access road, that keeps us very very quiet (less than 10 ski rando per year). While not as light as Hokkido we do get a lot of snow - last year was officially low tide, we got 12m in 2 months!

Typical skiing

MikuninMori1-1024x768.jpg

and snowboarding

MikuniSurfBreak-1024x768.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I used to ski at Mikuni back in the day. I'm interested in heading your way.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Phil & Trisha, come on down! :yeah:

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
A couple of days ago I got the cat up to the top of the area.

We've had some snow since, and I didn't catch all of the area (I'm still learning the drone thing). But you will get the idea

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^Can you send some of that white stuff to the Dolomites? kthanksbye!

Sponsor