• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carving

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The CSIA L4s keep telling me there's always something. Damned hard to spot at times... pole touched the snow in 4th turn to the left is a good stand-by.
Always, always something.
& what effect did that third turn have on the fourth? How did that pole drag on the fourth turn affect the fifth and six?
always, always something!

BTW, Every skier in every video in this thread drags their inside pole or hand, especially Ligety & the Snowboarder LOL.

This is my favorite example of NOT doing it from a racer who began to find discipline in his skiing toward the end of his career.
5EB059DA-6FA1-4426-B933-09AF3F301E72.jpeg

Last edited:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t feel like I am leaning on the inside pole but look at the drag like feelers or a cat’s whiskers
I also tend to drag my inside pole. I was never taught to drag it but like @4ster stated, I think it provides me an additional sensory feel of the snow. I will admit that I never think about ski technique while skiing on the job!
D75_6995 (2).jpg
D75_6992 (2).jpg

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe an example would help. Consider a 2g turn at 50 mph. Make it simpler by being on a horizontal surface. Gravity and turn forces will add up to give you a direction of about 26 degrees from the horizontal. To get a 90 degree platform angle, you have to tip those skis up to 64 degrees. If you tip a 13 m sl ski up to 64 degrees, it will try (unsuccessfully and scrape instead) to carve a 6 m turn. You cannot lay clean railroad tracks at 50 mph on SL skis.

Don't think that adds much understanding of platform angle. Could take that concept entirely out of the example and just speak of the need to incline 64 degrees (through a combination of inclination and angulation) to balance against the 2G centripetal force.

"You cannot lay clean railroad tracks at 50 mph on SL skis." Well, we probably can't make 2G rail road tracks on 14 m radius skis. But we can certainly make gentler carving turns at those sort of speeds without skidding around like we're on a frictionless surface.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
OK. I've spent all the time I'm going to spend trying to open your mind. Just calculate how high an angle you would have to tip your skis to to carve a 20 m radius turn at any speed you like, then calculate what size of turn those 13-m side-cut radius skis will try to carve when you tip them to that angle.

We can not carve any size turn we like on any ski at any speed. That's why they make SL, GS, SG and DH skis in different side-cut radii. Each ski is limited in the size of turn it can carve, and the forces required for that size turn depend on the speed.